Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 X P100D used battery degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As another data point my January 17 build P100D at 23,000 miles rated range=265 at 33,000 miles rated range =269

Range going up over time??

BTW, what's the difference in the "rated" range vs the "ideal" range - the two selections from which to pick on your display in the car?

After 2020.24.6.1, I noticed our Raven S increased 6 miles of rated range, so I'm not surprised Bowtoy's range increased but it's just due to updates to the calculation.

I've been considering going to an X but these range numbers on an X100D are giving me second thoughts. Our Raven S with a 75 kWh battery gets 272 at 100%. Maybe I should focus on the Raven X LR because I wouldn't want less range than what I already have.

Last edited:
From what I can gather, my Oct 2016 MX P100D would go about 265 miles on a full charge now (rated for 289 when new). That's what Teslafi said it had when I bought it this February, and it doesn't appear to have lost any range since then. I took it on a 4 hour round trip of 206 miles this weekend, and I never stopped to charge. Started at 90% and finished at 12%. If it weren't for all the hills and bridges, the car would go farther.

Reactions: E Dizzle and VikH
I have 2017 100D 91k miles. My full range is only 269 at 100% charge. at 90% its at 239. I am planning on going to tesla SC to ask for a review. Scan my Tesla shows that my max pack is 89.9KW. Did anyone get their battery replaced yet under warranty.

I just picked up a 2017 p100d with 53k miles. 100% shows 245miles.. Tesla Service isn't helping at all. Getting the usual " Reported miles arnt accurate". I EXPECTED SOMEWHERE AROUND 265- 275 miles of range. Has anyone had any sucess? This seems way to excessive degradation and my OA wouldn't release the battery info prior to pickup. SC says the battery must "fail" to warrant repair..

I just picked up a 2017 p100d with 53k miles. 100% shows 245miles.. Tesla Service isn't helping at all. Getting the usual " Reported miles arnt accurate". I EXPECTED SOMEWHERE AROUND 265- 275 miles of range. Has anyone had any sucess? This seems way to excessive degradation and my OA wouldn't release the battery info prior to pickup. SC says the battery must "fail" to warrant repair..

From the warranty link:

Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty
The Battery and Drive Unit in your vehicle are covered for a period of:

Model S
Model X
8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

That would be 84-85% on the X? Was the range new 289 or was it higher?

• Disagree
Reactions: gaswalla
the above is not true at all.. That is the new Model S/X warranty as of 2020. Back in 2017, the battery warranty was 8 years, unlimited miles, no degradation warranty
@Blup85 , sounds like you accepted delivery (used 2017 from Tesla). The degradation is bit more than expected, but definitely not excessive. My recommendation would be to take a look at the battery tag (inside passenger front fenderwell - take a picture) and also learn how to use ScanMyTesla (or similar) on your car, and get the readings from the battery. All decreased range is not degradation, there is a possibility that a module isn't working well, which would qualify for battery replacement under warranty (Tesla has been less than stellar at diagnosing these issues until the battery just totally faults)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and Blup85
Thought I'd follow up on this thread now that it's 3 years later. The car now has 67k miles and reported 263 miles of range at full charge yesterday. Haven't hooked up to scanmytesla again lately but I am glad to see the estimated range hasn't degraded too fast.

Reactions: brainhouston