Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 X P90DL Key Fob issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of a certified preowned from Tesla.
The key fob's battery was replaced at delivery. Then by end of the day it wouldn't work. I replaced the battery and it worked....for a short while. The 2nd FOB was saying it was low and the battery needs replacing.

aside: I was able to run summon on day 2. Then when i tried to do it in day 3 on, it's saying it wouldn't work because the FOB is low on battery.

I ordered brand new batteries and put new ones in. One is working fine. The 2nd one its already dead. I took out the battery from the 1st one and put it in the 2nd one. The second one works.
What could be causing this? What's causing the battery to go dead after only a short period of time?

Thanks!

I just took delivery of a certified preowned from Tesla.
The key fob's battery was replaced at delivery. Then by end of the day it wouldn't work. I replaced the battery and it worked....for a short while. The 2nd FOB was saying it was low and the battery needs replacing.

aside: I was able to run summon on day 2. Then when i tried to do it in day 3 on, it's saying it wouldn't work because the FOB is low on battery.

I ordered brand new batteries and put new ones in. One is working fine. The 2nd one its already dead. I took out the battery from the 1st one and put it in the 2nd one. The second one works.
What could be causing this? What's causing the battery to go dead after only a short period of time?

Thanks!
Mine was doing the same ....
Now I have to get one ??

I’ve been replacing the batteries in my fobs every 3 months or so for the past 3 years, but I’d been buying them from Amazon. I since learned that Amazon vendors frequently send old batteries with limited life left. I’ve since purchased them at a bricks-and-morter battery store and have had longer life so far ( over 3 mos.)

Reactions: Teriyaki88
I’ve been replacing the batteries in my fobs every 3 months or so for the past 3 years, but I’d been buying them from Amazon. I since learned that Amazon vendors frequently send old batteries with limited life left. I’ve since purchased them at a bricks-and-morter battery store and have had longer life so far ( over 3 mos.)
I use local store batteries also. But I get about 6months........maybe cause I'm driving responsibly :D

Tesla key fobs are very sensitive to low voltage. My two batteries measured 3.023v / 2.975v and produced a low battery message. You would think this is close enough to 3v, but fobs want a 3.3v battery. As bigmskiman said, use local stores that turn inventory frequenty. Don't buy a mutipack and keep it on the shelf for a year or more.

There can be bad fobs. I had one go toast. It started reporting a low battery only a few months after a battery replacement, then went totally dead, even with a new battery. It happens. Mobile service can replace the fobs.

Also: do not touch those batteries with your hands. The oils from your skin will substantially shorten their life. Handle them only with non conductive tweezers or while wearing clean gloves.