Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 X price and acceleration vs 2022 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just watched a review of the refresh 2022 X Long Range, and it's kinda fast with 0 to 60 in 3.8s, but that's slower than my 2016 P90D Ludicrous, which takes around 3.5s (and even quicker if I put it in Ludicrous+ and launch it).

If anyone is shopping for a fast X, keep the 2016 in mind.
My blue 2016 P90D Ludicrous X with FSD, 6 seater, white vegan seats - Faster than Refresh X LR - price was in the $60K range in mid-2021 when I got it. Had 68K miles.
New blue 2022 Long Range X with FSD, 6 seater, white vegan seats - $144,000

Big differences with the range, warranty, the miles driven, and modern interior. But actually my X has some nicer features like a round steering wheel, alcantara dash, active spoiler, separate AC system for 3rd row vents, and piano black seat backs which look much nicer than the mid-2017 to current X.

On a day to day basis I don't think about the range, the warranty, etc, I just love the speed, comfy vegan seats, and FSD features. And mine is faster than a 2022 Refresh LR. Bottom line : Consider the late 2016 X if you don't take many long road trips and don't use the range.

Agreed, the 100kwh battery is way better. I would have gotten that one, but P100D cost tens of thousands more than P90D when I was looking. For cheapest X that goes crazy fast with AP2 and MCU2, the P90DL (built after Oct2016) is the way.
I assume you purchased the upgraded to MCU2? And perhaps also AP2?

The 2022 LR is quick off the line and has Cheetah stance, but where it really goes 60-90. That occurs way too fast. You have to be careful with your right foot when passing. Much faster than my 2018 X at passing speeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunshine Speed
The previous owner bought the X CPO from Tesla in 2019, so when I got it in 2021, it already had FSD upgrade, MCU2, and still has some CPO warranty left. Regular battery/motors warranty until December 2024. 90kwh battery charges at 130kw to 150kw at superchargers, but tapers down quick after 45% battery.
Sounds like you got a deal. Nice of someone to "give you" those upgrades.

The 2022 taper seems to start around 60%, but only if preheated via nav or driving an hour or so. But it charges very fast on a V3 charger until then and shows down to 80 kW approaching 80% or so.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
My blue 2016 P90D Ludicrous X with FSD, 6 seater, white vegan seats - Faster than Refresh X LR - price was in the $60K range in mid-2021 when I got it. Had 68K miles.
im curious where did u buy from?
even w/o fsd it seems like a good deal back in '21...
i see plain 2016 90D's above $60k rn...

I definitely wanna try P... in the future, just have to feel that acceleration for myself :)

Just watched a review of the refresh 2022 X Long Range, and it's kinda fast with 0 to 60 in 3.8s, but that's slower than my 2016 P90D Ludicrous, which takes around 3.5s (and even quicker if I put it in Ludicrous+ and launch it).

If anyone is shopping for a fast X, keep the 2016 in mind.
New blue 2022 Long Range X with FSD, 6 seater, white vegan seats - $144,000

Big differences with the range, warranty, the miles driven, and modern interior. But actually my X has some nicer features like a round steering wheel, alcantara dash, active spoiler, separate AC system for 3rd row vents, and piano black seat backs which look much nicer than the mid-2017 to current X.

On a day to day basis I don't think about the range, the warranty, etc, I just love the speed, comfy vegan seats, and FSD features. And mine is faster than a 2022 Refresh LR. Bottom line : Consider the late 2016 X if you don't take many long road trips and don't use the range.
Some have gotten 3.4/3.5 sec 0-60 on the new LR using drag/cheetah mode. That being said many think the initial launch is being software limited, judging from how hard the LR accelerates after 30mph, especially after 50mph. As a matter of fact, after 50mph, the new LR is faster than the fastest Model X Performance/Raven. It's only slower to the Plaid at that speed.

Some have gotten 3.4 sec 0-60 on the new LR using drag/cheetah mode. 1/4 mile is 11.4@123mph! That being said many think the initial launch is being software limited, judging from how hard the LR accelerates after 30mph, especially after 50mph. As a matter of fact, after 50mph, the new LR is faster than the fastest Model X Performance/Raven. It's only slower to the Plaid at that speed.

Some have gotten 3.4/3.5 sec 0-60 on the new LR using drag/cheetah mode. That being said many think the initial launch is being software limited, judging from how hard the LR accelerates after 30mph, especially after 50mph. As a matter of fact, after 50mph, the new LR is faster than the fastest Model X Performance/Raven. It's only slower to the Plaid at that speed.

What are you basing this on?

What are you basing this on?
While I haven't seen a video of the 1/4 mile test on the X, there are plenty of videos of 1/4 mile tests on the S. The S Long Range quarter mile is getting about 10.8@130mph. Note that this is even after a slow launch of 0-60 in 3.1sec.

The 60mph-120mph numbers are way way better than any of the old "P" versions including performance Raven. The Model S 60-120mph is actually better than the Taycan Turbo S.

As for the X, one person with a draggy has quoted a 1/4 mile 11.4@123mph with 0-60 about 3.5. The X is basically adding about .5 sec to the S :)

Last edited:
i wonder if this is due to 2 small drive units (is that still the case for post-refresh?) vs large/small combo in older P's...
maybe large units are fast of the start but not at high speed?
No, the refresh cars have permanent magnet motors in both front and rear. The rear is more powerful than the front. Size is less relevant when it comes to permanent magnet motors.

Permanent magnet motors have better response than induction motors due to the fact that the rotor field is always present, whereas on AC induction motors, the opposing rotor field is generated in response to the stator field inducing a field from the squirrel cage rotor.

You run into physics at higher RPMs. Porsche gets around this with a 2 speed gearbox. The plaid gets around this with carbon sleeving

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
While I haven't seen a video of the 1/4 mile test on the X, there are plenty of videos of 1/4 mile tests on the S. The S Long Range quarter mile is getting about 10.8@130mph. Note that this is even after a slow launch of 0-60 in 3.1sec.

The 60mph-120mph numbers are way way better than any of the old "P" versions including performance Raven. The Model S 60-120mph is actually better than the Taycan Turbo S.

As for the X, one person with a draggy has quoted a 1/4 mile 11.4@123mph with 0-60 about 3.5. The X is basically adding about .5 sec to the S :)

Sorry, piecing together data across unrelated datasets is just cherry picking what you want to see.

Sorry, piecing together data across unrelated datasets is just cherry picking what you want to see.
It's making sense to me. If the refresh is trapping at a higher speed than the older P, and the older P has a faster time, then it's just some math.

Until someone takes their Refresh X to the drag strip, dragy times are the only reliable source of info we can work off of.

And it's the same thing with the S. Fastest Stock 2020 P is 10.4@129, Fastest Stock LR Refresh is 10.7@129. You can check yourself, the 1/8 mile times tell it all.

The refresh LR is slower 0-60, but traps at the same speed in the 1/4. this means that in the same distance, lr accelerated quicker after the launch. if the LR was slower or the same after 50mph than the P, it would trap slower.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richbot
It's making sense to me. If the refresh is trapping at a higher speed than the older P, and the older P has a faster time, then it's just some math.

Until someone takes their Refresh X to the drag strip, dragy times are the only reliable source of info we can work off of.

And it's the same thing with the S. Fastest Stock 2020 P is 10.4@129, Fastest Stock LR Refresh is 10.7@129. You can check yourself, the 1/8 mile times tell it all.

The refresh LR is slower 0-60, but traps at the same speed in the 1/4. this means that in the same distance, lr accelerated quicker after the launch. if the LR was slower or the same after 50mph than the P, it would trap slower.

Here is a person that got 0-60 3.4 with quarter mile 11.5 in the 120s:

No, the refresh cars have permanent magnet motors in both front and rear. The rear is more powerful than the front. Size is less relevant when it comes to permanent magnet motors.
u sure about this?
i keep seeing screen caps of car details pop-up n only front is perm magnet, with rear still induction...
what is used on Performance Refresh?