Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016's getting pushed back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up the car in California and then registering it in your home state can result in paying more taxes than just having it shipped and waiting.

My SO and I talked about taking a trip to the Bay Area when I came time to get my car and then driving it back to Washington, but it looked like I would end up paying more sales tax that way. The sales tax in Fremont is 9% and it's 8.1% here. I wish Tesla had a SC in Longview, WA where every other car company has a dealership. They have the lowest tax rate in Washington there and a lot of people will even come down from Seattle to get their car in Longview and save some tax. My SO did that with her 2013 Subaru and saved a few hundred. It would be more than that on a Model S. It's also about the same distance for us to Longview and it is to the Portland SC and an easier drive through the country.

Hi--which SC will be delivering your car if you don't pick it up? Decatur, GA?

I would guess Charlotte NC - it's closest. Haven't heard anything yet, though.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I remember hearing a few TMC folks picking up their new cars in Las Vegas in order to avoid the CA sales tax problem and then driving to the factory for the tour.

That sounds interesting ...

In any case, my car will be registered in Wyoming, where I plan to move shortly after receiving it.

In casually browsing the order spreadsheet, it seems like a lot of the "scheduled" orders (versus earliest possible delivery) are at the tail end or after the timeframe picked by the purchaser. I think the problem is they have trouble putting those orders in line with the the current production in a reliable and predictable manner to get them delivered on-time. I personally don't understand why people would pick a delivery date versus "earliest" anyways, seeing how earliest is usually 6 to 8 weeks out which is plenty of time to get your home charging setup, sell your existing car, etc.

There could be a lot of reasons... For me, I'm out of the country until mid February.. ordered back in November, so would not have been around for the delivery if I asked to have it delivered ASAP.... I'm sure others would have their own reasons also...

I've bought quite a few cars out of state and there were only 2 scenarios I ran into.
1. They didn't collect any sales or use tax and I had to pay it when I registered back home.
2. They collected the correct sales or use tax based on my home address and I didn't have to pay it again.

States involved (SC, NC, GA, MO, TN, MI)
I'm almost positive you wouldn't have to pay CA sales tax if you picked it up, if you did you would probably be able to get it refunded?

I've bought quite a few cars out of state and there were only 2 scenarios I ran into.
1. They didn't collect any sales or use tax and I had to pay it when I registered back home.
2. They collected the correct sales or use tax based on my home address and I didn't have to pay it again.

States involved (SC, NC, GA, MO, TN, MI)
I'm almost positive you wouldn't have to pay CA sales tax if you picked it up, if you did you would probably be able to get it refunded?

Only from what I've read on TMC, California is different -- they want their pound of flesh regardless. If the car is sold in CA, you pay CA sales tax regardless of your state of residence. No refunds. Now you may be able to get a credit for that in your state, maybe not. But Tesla definitely collects CA sales tax for cars delivered in CA.

In Connecticut, the rule is:
Out-of-State Purchases - Credit for sales tax paid out-of-state will be granted if the registrant provides supporting documentation (purchase invoice and tax receipt) showing submission of sales tax to the appropriate state agency. If the registrant paid less than 6.35% (or 7.75% for vehicles over $50,000) sales tax in another state they will be required to pay the additional tax to DMV when the vehicle is registered

So if you paid less tax in CA, you still have to pay the difference. If you paid more, you paid more than you needed to if you didn't take delivery in CA.

Europe (NL) here;
Order placed on december 10th
Confirmed at december 17th
VIN assigned at december 22nd (1230xx)
Built started today january 20th
Delivery estimated half march

Transport for the EU builds is 6 to 8 weeks. 3/4 for west to east coast and another 3/4 for NY port -> Tilburg delivery plant.

Lucky you. You ordered six weeks after me and have a car being built now while mine is nowhere in sight of being built. Tesla is run by morons.

Not true. if delivered in CA, you pay CA sales tax. You may also have to pay home state sales tax also when bringing it back. That varies by state. I bought an RV built in CA. I had to hire a transport driver to drive the thing from the plant, to Las Vegas, where I took official delivery (no sales tax there). I paid home state tax when I arrived. There was no sales tax credit available in either direction.

Some US cars are just now entering production... tfung's P90D and a few others... the sluiceway is about to open up...

Next question... who has rights access to the really informative SUMMARY page on the tracking spreadsheet area?
It would be great if the 2016 JAN-FEB-MAR sheet was reflected as information in the Summary.
I personally do not have access to that sheet to perform changes....
In his Private Message to me, Breser said he would look into it and see what could be done.

It's all worth it when it arrives. It looks like my P85D still holds the record of 35 days "In Transit"... at least for USA customers. It's amazing that a car could take 35 days to get across the country... but it did. Boy was I frustrated but I can't really remember it anymore. What I do remember is how great it is to sit in my car every day.

Update from me. Took 2 weeks to manufacture the car.

Ordered a 70D for delivery in the Chicago area.

Ordered 12/17/2015
Production Started: 01/08/2016
In Transit: 01/22/2016
Estimated Delivery: 01/28 to 02/04

It's all worth it when it arrives. It looks like my P85D still holds the record of 35 days "In Transit"... at least for USA customers. It's amazing that a car could take 35 days to get across the country... but it did. Boy was I frustrated but I can't really remember it anymore. What I do remember is how great it is to sit in my car every day.

Was yours on that "Train Form Hell" that was hung up in the Mid-West for about 3 weeks? I buddy of mine here in CT had his S on that train... That was unfortunate....

- - - Updated - - -

Update from me. Took 2 weeks to manufacture the car.

Ordered a 70D for delivery in the Chicago area.

Ordered 12/17/2015
Production Started: 01/08/2016
In Transit: 01/22/2016
Estimated Delivery: 01/28 to 02/04

Great News.... how were you informed that the car was in Transit? Both and email and status change in MyTesla or another way like your DS?

As noted earlier, I ordered 70D, Dec. 22, confirmed immediately and since then have had a Late Feb/March estimate. Today i received my updated 2016 Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement with an estimate of feb 22 for delivery. Estimated delivery (late February -- March) hasn't changed and status remains: "Your Model S has entered the production queue at our Factory in Fremont, California."

Question, how accurate has estimated delivery dates on MVPAs been?

As noted earlier, I ordered 70D, Dec. 22, confirmed immediately and since then have had a Late Feb/March estimate. Today i received my updated 2016 Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement with an estimate of feb 22 for delivery. Estimated delivery (late February -- March) hasn't changed and status remains: "Your Model S has entered the production queue at our Factory in Fremont, California."

Question, how accurate has estimated delivery dates on MVPAs been?

How did you get an updated motor vehicle purchase agreement? Did you DS send it to you?