Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016's getting pushed back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:biggrin:

ZYBANE: Do NOT read this. Go to the fridge, grab a beer & turn on Fox News or something. My DES just told me my build is moved up to Feb 8th from the 15th. Subject to change of course so it does not seem like production is being pushed back for a redesign. I would also hope that if there WAS a redesign in the works, we would be told before they executed it.

ZYBANE: Do NOT read this. Go to the fridge, grab a beer & turn on Fox News or something. My DES just told me my build is moved up to Feb 8th from the 15th. Subject to change of course so it does not seem like production is being pushed back for a redesign. I would also hope that if there WAS a redesign in the works, we would be told before they executed it.

That's great news! Who is your DES? Mine seems very uncommunicative but would love updates like yours seems to have!

My DS has only told me "the time-frame listed on web site is our best guess". That's it. Pretty worthless. I know he knows when my so-called car will be produced, but he won't tell me as he knows I'd likely cancel.

I bet your car get's built before mine ordered in October! As for redesign of the S, I say not this year. They have their hands full trying to sort out the X's rough launch and the Model 3 reveal coming up.

Interesting. Today I had my order change from being confirmed today to being confirmed a week from now. I wonder why the push-back? Getting current confirmed order-holders in before adding to the queue? I even asked for the confirmation wait to be bypassed altogether, and got told that an "expedited delivery request" was submitted for my order. Not sure if that's anything of value, but I think I may call and ask about the change tonight or tomorrow.

Zybane, I feel for you, but no, I don't want to join you on the extended wait list! :scared:

I don't think I want to give his name out just yet--he has been helpful but I have had to be very "persistent" in asking for information. It's not like he emails or calls once a week to check in. I am sure they are busy & probably under-staffed plus Fremont is probably they same way so info & updates are rare. It is one of my "issues" so far in this process of spending "big" money on a car with no local person to "talk" to. Maybe being able to drop by a SC to bring donuts would be different.

- - - Updated - - -

My DS has only told me "the time-frame listed on web site is our best guess". That's it. Pretty worthless.
FWIW, I would agree. The info on the web site or MyTesla has never been updated re: the delivery status. They have a ways to go to improve this sales & service model/experiment/system before any "high volume" or "mass market" vehicle comes out.

Hear is what I think is happening folks. Tesla is about to announce a new body style looking similar to the Model X. This has to be the case because as the Model 3 is unvailed it will have a similar look of no nose cone and the Model will look out of place. Hold tight and you'll get the updated version by April. I intentionally postponed mine until April because I am convinced the model is about to change.

It's technologically impossible for Tesla to introduce a new body for the Model S this soon. They don't have the employees to work on it, and it would require road testing and there have been zero mule sightings. I think Tesla's plan is for each car to have it's own characteristic nose and the Model X nose is never going to appear on the S. Even if they did such a thing, they need to design a whole new part from pretty much scratch because the shape of the nose on the two cars is different. It's not a trivial change to put the X nose on the S.

I strongly suspect there will be no changes of any significant note to the Model S this year. They are going to try and milk the line for everything they can while focusing all their engineering resources on getting the Model 3 done. I'm sure the drawn out Model X development overlapping the Model 3 was a major strain on their limited resources. They know they need to deliver the Model 3 something close to on time instead of the drawn out dramas they had with the S and X and the only way they can do that is all hands on deck.

The only changes we're going to see on the Model S until after the Model 3 is in production are things that can be transferred from the Model X with limited or no engineering or other things that don't require engineering resources. This could mean the X door handles, possibly the X headlights. I think it's possible the basic seats on the Model S might be cloth versions of the next gen seats and the current basic seats will be discontinued. As the Gigafactory comes online and they start producing the new battery chemistry there, Tesla might offer higher density battery packs at the same price as current packs to pass on the savings and generate a bit more interest in the S and X. But that probably won't be until late this year or sometime next year.

Personally I hope they never put the Model X nosecone on the S. I'm in the roughly 50% who think it's ugly.

It's technologically impossible for Tesla to introduce a new body for the Model S this soon. They don't have the employees to work on it, and it would require road testing and there have been zero mule sightings. I think Tesla's plan is for each car to have it's own characteristic nose and the Model X nose is never going to appear on the S. Even if they did such a thing, they need to design a whole new part from pretty much scratch because the shape of the nose on the two cars is different. It's not a trivial change to put the X nose on the S.

I strongly suspect there will be no changes of any significant note to the Model S this year. They are going to try and milk the line for everything they can while focusing all their engineering resources on getting the Model 3 done. I'm sure the drawn out Model X development overlapping the Model 3 was a major strain on their limited resources. They know they need to deliver the Model 3 something close to on time instead of the drawn out dramas they had with the S and X and the only way they can do that is all hands on deck.

The only changes we're going to see on the Model S until after the Model 3 is in production are things that can be transferred from the Model X with limited or no engineering or other things that don't require engineering resources. This could mean the X door handles, possibly the X headlights. I think it's possible the basic seats on the Model S might be cloth versions of the next gen seats and the current basic seats will be discontinued. As the Gigafactory comes online and they start producing the new battery chemistry there, Tesla might offer higher density battery packs at the same price as current packs to pass on the savings and generate a bit more interest in the S and X. But that probably won't be until late this year or sometime next year.

Personally I hope they never put the Model X nosecone on the S. I'm in the roughly 50% who think it's ugly.

This makes the most sense that I've heard on that side of the argument. The model X designers are only now getting ramped up on model 3 details beyond the general form.

Tesla will change the s body when it makes financial sense to do so. And it will make financial sense when they realize how many people are buying model S (downward trend) after model X sales have stabilized. No doubt they have a good idea right now, but why waste the ammo when you have model X still gaining popularity and notoriety, plus model 3 taking up all your staff/ time?

On the new My Tesla page some delivery data changed this AM.... I was at Late March - Early April for estimated delivery.
As of this morning I am now March - Early April.
It may just be the new My Tesla page programming I recon.

Regarding the Model S and a possible redesign.... Some thoughts on this...

I think Tesla will eventually sunset the Model S. Take it out of production.
No one will be able to order or buy the S...
Then Tesla will Dribble out "The New S Is COMING" hype and then reintroduce the next S with a great fanfare.

After all, the S is a key stepping stone for Tesla's movement into mainstream auto sales.
However, the S is not a mainstream model by any means.... it is a halo model.
It may be treated much like the Acura NSX and Toyota Supra were .... here.... gone (too bad you did not pull the trigger when you could have)... but wait, a new one is coming soon

This type of marketing tactic will maintain the value of the S and make the loyal S owners feel they own something special.

During my daily check-in on MyTesla page, I noticed not only the format or layout changed but also more details of the car were listed--pricing & payment options, etc. I attributed that to the web page redesigns until I noticed that my MVPA was listed as of today. We are getting closer!

How's this for crazy? My "My Tesla" page changed this morning, and now says the following (yes, the date is missing, to my dismay!):

In Production
Your Model S is in production. Including delivery time, your current estimated delivery is . We will notify you if this date is pulled forward or pushed back due to changes in production.