Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 100D 2020.48.30 - 5 KW idle drain per 24 hours?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a ski trip and having our 100D parked in heated garage but not able to charge. The idle drain over 72 hours was 15 KW!! Is this normal? Garage underground and car couldn’t get signal so wondering if that part of issue. Garage was heated, sentry and Summons turned off.. this is problematic..

On a ski trip and having our 100D parked in heated garage but not able to charge. The idle drain over 72 hours was 15 KW!! Is this normal? Garage underground and car couldn’t get signal so wondering if that part of issue. Garage was heated, sentry and Summons turned off.. this is problematic..

I wonder if lack of GPS caused one of the location based options to ponder.

Did you leave your key in it by chance? That will drain it.

if you do a search you'll find that others have reported similar rates of battery drain when parked underground or in areas without cellular connectivity to the car - so, I think that is likely the cause. Not certain if there's a solution.

Ok that gives me a bit of relief as this is a one off situation / corner case for me.. i was getting worried as my normal situation is parking outside at the marina near my island cottage where I have no ability to charge. Often times at the cottage for 1-2 weeks so I figured I could handle 1 kW drain per day but 5 kw per day would have me on a tow truck lol.

Do you mean kWh? Energy is measured in kWh, not "kw" or "KW".

If you had a 1 kW device and it ran for 1 hour, it used 1 kWh. 1 kW for 2 hours? 2 kWh.

Multiply the units and time.

If you had a drain of "72 hours was 15 KW", 72 hours * 15 kW = 1,080 kWh, which is far greater than the capacity of any Tesla vehicle battery.

5 kW drain would be pretty bad. If you had that much in 24 hours: 5 kW * 24 hours = 120 kWh, which is more than the battery capacity of your vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: KentuckyX
Sorry yes I should have been more clear. The battery went from 72% to 57% over course of 3 days parked. Given 100KWh battery pack I assumed I used 5 KW hours of juice per 24 hours of idle. Picture from Tessie app below

Attachments

• 2A8AA836-2DB3-40F2-8E63-D5399755D40F.jpeg
    2A8AA836-2DB3-40F2-8E63-D5399755D40F.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Check in Autopilot settings if Summon Standby is enabled. If so, it drains the battery at a horrendous rate when the car is parked away from its home location. The feature is enabled by default. Horrible feature, my phantom drain when parked away from home disappeared once I disabled it.

Do you mean kWh? Energy is measured in kWh, not "kw" or "KW".

If you had a 1 kW device and it ran for 1 hour, it used 1 kWh. 1 kW for 2 hours? 2 kWh.

Multiply the units and time.

If you had a drain of "72 hours was 15 KW", 72 hours * 15 kW = 1,080 kWh, which is far greater than the capacity of any Tesla vehicle battery.

5 kW drain would be pretty bad. If you had that much in 24 hours: 5 kW * 24 hours = 120 kWh, which is more than the battery capacity of your vehicle.
You're semi right but your math is a bit backwards. He said "The idle drain over 72 hours was 15 KW", which means a total battery loss of 15kWh over a 72hr period (not 15kWh per hour over a 72hr period). Usually phantom drain is reported in mi/hr though, not kWh. For a 100D, that 15kWh of loss over a 72hr period is 15kWh / 330Wh/mi / 72h = 0.63 mi/hr phantom drain. That is pretty high. Most users report a phantom drain of 0.2 - 0.4 mi/hr.

Common causes of increased phantom drain rates:
- Sentry Mode
- 3rd party apps preventing deep sleep
- Having key too close to car
- Actively checking the Tesla mobile app
- "Energy Saving” off and “Always Connected" on

So i am back home now connected to Wifi etc and drain over last 24 hours was much better. I will keep an eye on it. This recent firmware update (2020.48.30) has been unlucky for me - phantom drain, weird parking brake warning on highway and tonight the AP system when on fritz with camera errors. All within days of this firmware update:(

So i am back home now connected to Wifi etc and drain over last 24 hours was much better. I will keep an eye on it. This recent firmware update (2020.48.30) has been unlucky for me - phantom drain, weird parking brake warning on highway and tonight the AP system when on fritz with camera errors. All within days of this firmware update:(
Are you doing a full reboot after the update installs?

Step on the brake, hold both steering wheel buttons down, count to 5, release. The car should go dark after a few seconds and after 30 seconds or so start to come back up.

Did the hard reboots today including removing 12V terminal. Still getting weird behaviour on this update including car not sleeping properly. Didn’t sleep at all overnight even after all these resets. 3rd party apps removed as well. Wish they had a firmware rollback feature!!

was sleeping like a baby on previous firmware:)

Did the hard reboots today including removing 12V terminal. Still getting weird behaviour on this update including car not sleeping properly. Didn’t sleep at all overnight even after all these resets. 3rd party apps removed as well. Wish they had a firmware rollback feature!!

was sleeping like a baby on previous firmware:)
My 100D MX has also had a change in the sleeping behavior since 2020.48.30 was installed. It usually sleeps for days if undisturbed. At least this has been its behavior since it got the MCU2 upgrade. For the past week after the software update, it goes through multiple wake cycles each day. I can’t discern any pattern yet. However, these waking periods are not resulting in any unusual drain. It has averaged a loss of 1 mile per day. No problem there.

My model 3 is also having waking periods each day. They have been much more consistent of about 1.5 hours/day. Also no increased drain rate.

I’m using Teslafi, so I know of the sleeping behavior but as I said, I am not getting any excessive drain.

By chance, do you have MCU1? I had a lot of bad rounds of high phantom drain when I had MCU1. It would get better for awhile and then totally haywire again.

Hooked up Teslafi again overnight and did see some 15 minute sleeps followed by 45 min idles. The really interesting thing is checking my UniFi Wifi the car has uploaded over 2GB of data over night? That is a ton of uploading.. I did file a “bug report” via car voice interface when my fender cameras went out the other day. Wonder if car is now dumping all the logs to Tesla?

what is really bothering is the charge went from 85% at midnight to 82% by 9am:( that to me is unacceptable :(. Could it be my 12V battery is dying and car trying to keep charging it? Is a Tesla mobile tech able to pull deeper logs to see what is up?

Is a Tesla mobile tech able to pull deeper logs to see what is up?
A mobile tech won’t do that, but schedule an appointment and you will probably end up in a prolonged virtual appointment with some service tech. I did that this past summer. My problem ended up getting resolved, but no idea whether me contacting Tesla played a role or if it would have self corrected with a software update.

Here are a couple of links where I posted about that experience.
I have had the high losses since June 8, a day after 2020.20.5 was installed. I am currently on 2020.20.12.

A few key data points for me:
  • Car was unused for precisely 7 days, and it lost 24% in that time. This was over 20 kWh energy.
  • I am a Teslafi user and disabled that 24 hours ago and left the car totally undisturbed. Continued same loss rate of 3%/day.
  • I have charged 2 times when I noticed particularly high losses afterwards. -6% in 24 hours.
I had a service appointment for this scheduled for 6/22. One hour before the appointment they called me to say they can diagnose remotely, not to bring it in. So far it has been like a very slow fishing trip via sparse text messages. They have given no indication of this being a known issue, instead going through all the things I might be doing wrong (including use of 3rd party app, thus why I disabled it for now.)

I am confident that it is a software bug, but would like some word that the Tesla engineers are aware of it. Unlike others are reporting, my cameras are not hot. Absolutely nothing unusual about the car other than it is not sleeping and is burning a lot of energy on something (or nothing).

Sept 2017 Model X, 100D, MCU1, HW2.5 upgraded to HW3

I feel your pain.

My model X has been in an ongoing virtual appointment all week, with no resolution yet. Very consistently losing 3%/day through the different things they have asked me to do (which includes disable Teslafi, reboot, drive short distance, charge to 90%.) Yet they have replied with some annoying things like saying they’ve noticed an improvement in the loss when I disabled the 3rd party app (which did not change the loss at all) and late in the week, that they would compare my losses to the fleet average to determine if ok. Do they not know the basics that the owners manual defines 1%/day?

I bite my tongue and measure my words in my responses back. From past experiences I know that they do not want to hear about what is being said in the online forums, nor what I already know because I’m a student of my car’s behavior. Yesterday, I did point to the 1% in the owners manual and I gingerly mention that I had heard of others having this problem, and that a reinstall of 2020.20.12 solved it for some. This morning in my daily check of the car, I did have that re-install waiting for me. Will see if that changes anything.

I am curious, though, what the root problem is. I would have hoped that they know what the car is doing with that energy.

Thanks for sharing - hopefully I can get them to push a FW install before any next steps. In addition to all this phantom drain, I lost signal to my two fender cameras (AP and Cruise now toast) and had weird parking brake error while on highway. 2020.48.30 seems glitchy as heck.

I also noticed over 2.5 GB of data transmitted overnight from car to Tesla - car is uploading like mad!