Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 100D battery question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking to buy a used 2017 Model X 100D locally, private party. I had owner do a full charge and the max charge displayed was 251 miles. Miles seems much lower than normal degradation. Is this a real problem or kinda normal? Also car is covered on extended warranty to 2023, any chance tesla would address issue (if it is one)?

That range is an estimate. It can be off by quite a bit unless you have 'recalibrated' by running the battery fairly low (say around 10%), then charge it all the way back to 100%. So your plan to know the battery degradation is missing one step: doing a fairly deep discharge before charging it up fully. My guess is you'd get a better number if you do that. Even if you end up with a similar number, that is not really that bad. If you purchased the car and made a point of only charging to 80% unless taking a road trip, I'll guess you'd see almost no new degradation beyond where it is now.

If you use a scan tool and ScanMyTesla app, you can see more information. From the attached image you can see my 100kw is now 92.8kWh. At least that's how I interpret it.

20210424.jpg

Reactions: Harvey Danger
I see people talk about the need to "calibrate" the model X BMS from time to time. I think this is based on either older Model X firmwares or the challenges associated with model 3 / Y packs.

Current Model X firmwares keep a pretty accurate estimate of capacity at all times

You're welcome to go through whatever elaborate steps you want to try to 'improve' the accuracy of its estimate, but you will not see much change.

If a modern Model X says 250 rated miles, just believe it and move on.

Why Model X SoC estimator got better:

Post in thread 'Tesla's 85 kWh rating needs an asterisk (up to 81 kWh, with up to ~77 kWh usable)'

Why Model 3's (and *not* Model X's) need to be held at a variety of SoC levels for fairly long periods to make sure the BMS is making good estimates:

Thread 'How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity'

Reactions: Bigriver
You will see degradation no matter what, but it’s incorrect to say that charging to 80% won’t help - it will. I think Elon once said 70% was optimal, but the benefit wasn’t worth the cost of range compared to 80%.

I charge to 80% except for road trips and have done so since I owned by X. My 80% is 232 miles and 100% is 289. I’m very happy with my battery’s performance and the miles I get from my X (even after driving 55,000 miles it runs great!).

So to OP, this seller with a 100D maxing out at 250 miles did not take care of his battery. That’s a terrible full charge, full stop. I’d pass.

Many Super Charger charges causes quicker degradation. And, from what I have read, there is a ceiling that Tesla will allow you to super charge at the maximum rates. So not only does the X in question has high degradation, it may also have a high number of SC charges. Double whammy.

Yeah, Rush is right. This hasn’t been debunked and remains true. It MAY not be true for the newer 2170 cells (no confirmation either way) but is true for S and X.

your cited post is from 2017 which cites a tmc thread. if you dig deeper, you'll see that yes, at face value that article is correct for pre 100kwh packs.

I was looking to buy a used 2017 Model X 100D locally, private party. I had owner do a full charge and the max charge displayed was 251 miles. Miles seems much lower than normal degradation. Is this a real problem or kinda normal?
This seems low to me. My 2017 100D with 45k miles and 80% of all charging done at superchargers is 276 miles at 100% charge.
Several recent (past 6 months) threads on here that OTA updates have removed charge rate restrictions. My 2017 MX was briefly limited to about 108 kW last fall, but is not limited now. It only increased charging sessions by about 5 min, but psychologically I prefer seeing it hit 143 kW at a V2 SC.