Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 100D HW3 upgrade questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a used 2017 100D on Saturday after many months of watching for the right price, options, and proximity.

Just had the HW3 upgrade performed after having HW2.0 in the car and had a few questions:

1. Under Software menu in the car, it is still showing Enhanced Autopilot, should is say FSD? Autopilot computer shows “Full-self driving computer” under Additional Vehicle Information.
2. They updated me to v10.2 (2020.24.6.11) after the install. Is that the latest version for someone with MCU1?
3. My car still says Ready for Pickup in the Tesla app. Do I need to contact them to get that removed or will it go away on it’s own?

You should contact Tesla and ensure the car is associated with your account.

Was the car sold with Full Self Drive (FSD) or did you purchase Full Self Drive option to get HW3 upgrade?

Are some controls grayed-out? For example, in Driving menu, is the car locked into Chill mode, or can you choose Normal?

If there are grayed out, inaccessible options, then the car is locked into “Demo” mode. Be sure they remove that restriction as well.

Software is currently at 2020.36. Follow these steps to get updates:

1. Park the car where it can receive strong signal from home wireless. Antenna is in passenger side outside rear view mirror. You will have to sign on to your home wireless network. MCU 1 only receives 2.7 GHz b/g band.
  2. Go to software menu in car. At the bottom there’s an option to be an early adopter or similar. Enable that option.

3. Before you drive the car after an update, reboot: With your foot on the brake, hold down both steering wheel scroll wheels until the screen goes black. Then release. This reboot cleans up most “loose ends” left by the update.
  4. When you next park near home wireless network, return to Software screen. Disable the “Advanced” option. Count to 5 slowly. Then re-enable the option. This triggers a check for new software so you get current more quickly.
Good luck, enjoy your S. We’ve got over 40k miles on our 2017 S 100D. Recently upgraded to MCU2 and HW3.

1. Before you drive the car after an update, reboot: With your foot on the brake, hold down both steering wheel scroll wheels until the screen goes black. Then release. This reboot cleans up most “loose ends” left by the update.
  2. When you next park near home wireless network, return to Software screen. Disable the “Advanced” option. Count to 5 slowly. Then re-enable the option. This triggers a check for new software so you get current more quickly.
Good luck, enjoy your S. We’ve got over 40k miles on our 2017 S 100D. Recently upgraded to MCU2 and HW3.

Ehh, those two points have never been proven or substantiated in any way. Disabling and renabling, without needing to count to 5 simply causes the car to re-check. If your VIN isn't part of the group, you can check 100 times and it'll still be the same.

You should contact Tesla and ensure the car is associated with your account.

Was the car sold with Full Self Drive (FSD) or did you purchase Full Self Drive option to get HW3 upgrade?

Are some controls grayed-out? For example, in Driving menu, is the car locked into Chill mode, or can you choose Normal?

If there are grayed out, inaccessible options, then the car is locked into “Demo” mode. Be sure they remove that restriction as well.

Software is currently at 2020.36. Follow these steps to get updates:

1. Park the car where it can receive strong signal from home wireless. Antenna is in passenger side outside rear view mirror. You will have to sign on to your home wireless network. MCU 1 only receives 2.7 GHz b/g band.
  2. Go to software menu in car. At the bottom there’s an option to be an early adopter or similar. Enable that option.

3. Before you drive the car after an update, reboot: With your foot on the brake, hold down both steering wheel scroll wheels until the screen goes black. Then release. This reboot cleans up most “loose ends” left by the update.
  4. When you next park near home wireless network, return to Software screen. Disable the “Advanced” option. Count to 5 slowly. Then re-enable the option. This triggers a check for new software so you get current more quickly.

Car isn’t in demo mode as nothing is grayed out.

Car was purchased with FSD included just it had AP2.0 and EAP displayed on the in car menu. My gut says the previous owner had not paid for FSD before selling it back to Tesla.

Followed your directions and it didn’t trigger any updates.

Purchased a used 2017 100D on Saturday after many months of watching for the right price, options, and proximity.

Just had the HW3 upgrade performed after having HW2.0 in the car and had a few questions:

1. Under Software menu in the car, it is still showing Enhanced Autopilot, should is say FSD? Autopilot computer shows “Full-self driving computer” under Additional Vehicle Information.
2. They updated me to v10.2 (2020.24.6.11) after the install. Is that the latest version for someone with MCU1?
3. My car still says Ready for Pickup in the Tesla app. Do I need to contact them to get that removed or will it go away on it’s own?
I'm a '17 X 100D owner too. I can't believe they didn't update you to the latest firmware. You are not even close.
I upgraded to MCU2 and FSD a month or so ago (was MCU1 & AP2.0). Very happy with the MCU2 upgrade.

T3MuvRs.jpg