Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017-2020 Model 3 recalled for trunk/rear camera issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didnt read this thread before posting it in a new thread I just created a min ago.

So far I have no issues with the camera

This is what I read online.

(moderator note)

Merged your newly created thread with this one. Also, just as a note, I am very (very very) anti "clickbait" style thread titles, so "what do you think of this?" isnt a thread title I would recommend if you start threads in the future.

I find it funny that CNBC would write, "Tesla could not be reached for comment" when they should well know by now that is because Tesla doesn't have a media relations department. Kind of like saying I wasn't able to reach the sommelier at Red Lobster.

The recall notice refers to installation of a "guide protector". I wonder if it is sort of like one of those plastic spiral wiring protectors and if so will it end up chafing the paint over time.

Recall DateRecall NumberDetails
December 21, 202121V-00DDescription:
The Model 3 trunk harness is equipped with a solid core coaxial cable that provides the rearview camera feed for visibility on the center display. Over time, repeated opening and closing of the trunk lid may cause excessive wear to the coaxial cable. If the wear causes the core of the coaxial cable to separate, the rearview camera feed is not visible on the center display.
Safety Risk:
Unavailability of the rearview camera display may affect the driver’s rear view and increase the risk of a collision. If there is a loss of rearview camera display, the driver can continue to operate the vehicle by performing a shoulder check and using their mirrors when backing.
Remedy:
Tesla Service will inspect the trunk harness on affected vehicles for wear. If wear is determined to be within specifications for the coaxial cable, Tesla Service will equip the harness with a guide protector to ensure a sufficient radius when the harness holds in a closed trunk state and prevent further wear. If wear is determined to be beyond the specifications for the coaxial cable, Tesla Service will install a new harness and guide protector.

Got mine but I don't have any camera issues...yet..apparently! I think I'll wait until it fails/if it fails before bothering with this

"increase the risk of collision"

Youngins nowadays have no idea how to park/reverse without a backup camera.

There are two different recalls that are mentioned together. On the 3, the issue is that the coaxial cable can get excessive wear causing the rear camera to no longer work - annoying, but not really overly dangerous.

However, for the Model S; the secondary latch on the frunk may be misaligned preventing the latching on the secondary latch. If the first latch accidentally releases, it can cause the hood to fly up while driving - that would definitely increase the risk of collision!

"increase the risk of collision"

Youngins nowadays have no idea how to park/reverse without a backup camera.
The issue with Model 3 is the lack of rear visibility. I have the backup camera issue right now, and I don’t feel comfortable backing up the car in crowded parking lot because the blind spot is just horrible. There is no way around the blind spot, even with the side repeaters. I have no issues backing up most of other cars because majority of the cars don’t have blind spot like Model 3 does.

Reactions: afadeev