Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017-2020 Model 3 recalled for trunk/rear camera issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"increase the risk of collision"

Youngins nowadays have no idea how to park/reverse without a backup camera.
I have definitely not a "Youngin". But after using rear view camera since 2012 (my first car with rear view camera), I am pretty sure I don't know how to reverse and steer without rear view camera. I back onto my driveway every time when I get home on an angle. I have to reverse steer it to an exact spot so I don't block the other car coming out from the garage. Once in a while, my Model 3 will have a blank reverse camera for like 5 seconds. I usually wait in the middle of the street for it to come on before backing up. The other day, I know there was a car coming behind me and I don't want to block the street, so I decided to try the old fashion over the shoulder back up. I ended up rolling over the edge of the curb on the driveway and ran over part of the grass.

I have definitely not a "Youngin". But after using rear view camera since 2012 (my first car with rear view camera), I am pretty sure I don't know how to reverse and steer without rear view camera. I back onto my driveway every time when I get home on an angle. I have to reverse steer it to an exact spot so I don't block the other car coming out from the garage. Once in a while, my Model 3 will have a blank reverse camera for like 5 seconds. I usually wait in the middle of the street for it to come on before backing up. The other day, I know there was a car coming behind me and I don't want to block the street, so I decided to try the old fashion over the shoulder back up. I ended up rolling over the edge of the curb on the driveway and ran over part of the grass.
We all have our own methods. I back into my driveway everyday. I never check the rear view camera. I always use my side and rear view mirrors. I've been doing it that way for 54 years. It's what I'm used to. Another thing: The M3 is one of only a handful of cars I've owned where you can set your side view mirrors and rear view mirror in such a way that there is absolutely no blind spot when changing lanes on the highway. Now that V11 provides us with a blind spot camera in those situations, I suppose I'll use it to verify what the mirrors are telling me, but I'll check the mirrors first. Very old habits die hard.

Maybe it's because I'm 71 years old, but I've owned several cars with blind spots worse than on an M3. I've also owned plenty of cars without a backup camera. Use your neck to turn your head and backup very very slowly
Hmm, perhaps I am not doing something right, but how do you see the blind spot below the trunk line? I can’t see little kids behind the car in a parking lot without the backup camera.

Hmm, perhaps I am not doing something right, but how do you see the blind spot below the trunk line? I can’t see little kids behind the car in a parking lot without the backup camera.

You look before you get into your car and be aware of people or animals who approach after you get in. If you pay attention to your surroundings children can't sneak up on your car without you noticing.

You look before you get into your car and be aware of people or animals who approach after you get in. If you pay attention to your surroundings children can't sneak up on your car without you noticing.
I definitely do that, but I feel that the risk is still there. In a busy parking lot such as Costco, Target, and school, it’s not unusual to have things pop out that could get into that blind spot, especially when two big cars decided to sandwich you in the middle of rush shopping hours.

Just got my email
Tesla has decided to proactively recall model year 2017-2020 Model 3 vehicles to inspect and retrofit the trunk lid harness. Our records indicate that your vehicle(s), 5YJ3E1EA0KXXXXXXX, may be affected by this recall.

On certain Model 3 vehicles, the trunk lid harness is equipped with a solid core coaxial cable that provides the rearview camera feed for visibility on the center display. Over time, repeated opening and closing of the trunk lid may cause excessive wear to the coaxial cable. If the wear causes the core of the coaxial cable to separate, the rearview camera feed is not visible on the center display. Unavailability of the rearview camera display may affect the driver’s rear view. We are not aware of any crashes or injuries relating to this condition.

No immediate action is required if you own a Model 3 vehicle affected by this recall. If you experience a loss of rearview camera display, you may continue to operate the vehicle by performing a shoulder check and using your mirrors when backing. Tesla will contact you to schedule a service appointment when parts become available in your region and inspect and retrofit your vehicle, all free of charge.

Thank you for being a Tesla customer, and we apologize for this inconvenience.​

I have the hannshow powered rear trunk kit installed which routes wiring through the rubber cable guide thing. I got an email this morning stating that my car is part of the recall and that they would reach out when the part is available. Do you think my trunk kit will be an issue?

I have the hannshow powered rear trunk kit installed which routes wiring through the rubber cable guide thing. I got an email this morning stating that my car is part of the recall and that they would reach out when the part is available. Do you think my trunk kit will be an issue?

My service center has not blinked an eye at my trunk/frunk mods. They even repaired some minor damage (broken plastic retaining clips) I caused installing it - for free. Even with my good experiences with the service center, I am also worried about how the trunk mod will impact things since it will be directly impact the recall repair procedure.

I'm not too worried about camera going out - especially knowing that they will fix it even if it happens post-warranty so I'll probably wait a bit before bringing my car in. I'm sure someone on the forums with a trunk mode will go in before I do and will report on their experience.

I definitely do that, but I feel that the risk is still there. In a busy parking lot such as Costco, Target, and school, it’s not unusual to have things pop out that could get into that blind spot, especially when two big cars decided to sandwich you in the middle of rush shopping hours.
There is always a risk, camera or no camera. If you go SLOW then even if you do, god forbid, hit a child, the chances of serious injury are small.

Tesla is recalling over 356,000 Model 3 vehicles based on potential issues owners may encounter with the rearview camera cable, which could be damaged when the trunk is closed. This can cause the camera to malfunction, documents state.

The recall applies to 356,309 units, according to a Safety Recall Report shared with Teslarati by the NHTSA. Only 1% of the vehicles recalled are expected to have the defect, the documents state. It applies to Model 3 sedans manufactured between July 15, 2017 and September 30, 2020

nhtsa.gov