Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017-2020 Model 3 recalled for trunk/rear camera issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got an email

Tesla
Tesla has decided to proactively recall model year 2017-2020 Model 3 vehicles to inspect and retrofit the trunk lid harness. Our records indicate that your vehicle(s), XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, may be affected by this recall.​
On certain Model 3 vehicles, the trunk lid harness is equipped with a solid core coaxial cable that provides the rearview camera feed for visibility on the center display. Over time, repeated opening and closing of the trunk lid may cause excessive wear to the coaxial cable. If the wear causes the core of the coaxial cable to separate, the rearview camera feed is not visible on the center display. Unavailability of the rearview camera display may affect the driver’s rear view. We are not aware of any crashes or injuries relating to this condition.​
No immediate action is required if you own a Model 3 vehicle affected by this recall. If you experience a loss of rearview camera display, you may continue to operate the vehicle by performing a shoulder check and using your mirrors when backing. Tesla will contact you to schedule a service appointment when parts become available in your region and inspect and retrofit your vehicle, all free of charge.​
Thank you for being a Tesla customer, and we apologize for this inconvenience.​

I received an email from Telsa on Dec 31st that my Model 3 is affected by the trunk/camera harness. I have never experienced any issues with the camera and the harness looks fine. I will schedule an appointment at the SC or have a mobile service come out and perform the correction.

"increase the risk of collision"

Youngins nowadays have no idea how to park/reverse without a backup camera.
It's funny. When we got our Tesla in 2018, it was my first car with a backup camera. So I didn't use the camera at first. I sort of didn't trust it, as nonsensical as that may be. But I seemed to have this attitude that the screen represented some diminution of reality; it was more real to look out the back window. I quickly realized this car has a high ass, and so rear visibility out the back window is rather poor. And I trained myself to use and trust the camera. Now it's my best friend.

My rear view camera went out today on my August 2018 Tesla Model 3 RWD LR (software version 2021.44.25.6 FSD beta 10.8). I have contacted service through the app and a mobile service appt is scheduled 9 days from now (originally scheduled for 2 days, but moved by Tesla to allow time for parts to arrive). Sentry mode does not show the rear camera, but does show side and front camera.

It's not an insignificant issue, as now autopilot does not work (car can't see traffic). Also cruise control does not work. I tried the 2 scroll button push reset multiple times.

• Informative
Reactions: chrstna4
I had an appointment for next week to service the recall on my car.

I Just got a message from Tesla service saying that they were cancelling my appointment because they didn't have the parts due to supply chain issues and were waiting until they had enough parts to complete the recalls.

No ETA for the parts.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ken43
I had an appointment for next week to service the recall on my car.

I Just got a message from Tesla service saying that they were cancelling my appointment because they didn't have the parts due to supply chain issues and were waiting until they had enough parts to complete the recalls.

No ETA for the parts.

That’s exactly what the email said about the recall.

Need to wait for them to be ready - there’s NO urgency to this one. So long as your backup camera is working, everything is just fine.

Patience please.

Reactions: android04
Except that my backup camera isn't working properly. Thus my request for service.

Well, that’s a bummer. And you should be top of the recall list. Wonder if they can put a “current defective design” cable in temporarily?

I would probably open another service ticket, tell them the camera isn’t working at all and make NO mention of the recall whatsoever. That’ll almost certainly get it cancelled. But just mentioning that the camera isn’t working may have a better outcome.

according to the email, it's no big deal if your rear camera is broken, just utilize the over the shoulder method... that's seriously what the email says in regards to a mandated safety requirement in US cars

according to the email, it's no big deal if your rear camera is broken, just utilize the over the shoulder method... that's seriously what the email says in regards to a mandated safety requirement in US cars
Well, that's quite the alarmist twist of what it says :rolleyes:

Not sure where having a rear camera is a "mandated safety requirement" - do you have a source for this?

I read it as "if you rear camera is out, you can always do like people have been doing for decades and look over your should and use your mirrors" (you conveniently left out the mirror part).

• Disagree
Reactions: trisk
Well, that's quite the alarmist twist of what it says :rolleyes:

Not sure where having a rear camera is a "mandated safety requirement" - do you have a source for this?

I read it as "if you rear camera is out, you can always do like people have been doing for decades and look over your should and use your mirrors" (you conveniently left out the mirror part).
Backup cameras required on all new cars since May 2018. Rear camera is a mandated safety requirement.

• Informative
Reactions: trisk
If your camera is not working or the rubber conduit has visible damage on it from bending repeatedly, then by all means book the appointment. For those that don't see damage and the camera is working, just wait. Otherwise Tesla will be overwhelmed by doing these and the people that truly need it done won't be able to or at least really delayed. I don't plan to get mine done unless a problem with the camera arises or I have to get other dealer servicing done. No point getting a stand-alone appointment for this when it's functioning. It's not like there's an expiry window to get this done.

My recollection is these cameras came into law because children were being hit by their parents (in big giant SUVs and trucks) in their own driveways and the like. Are they somewhat of a bandaid allowing cars to get taller with worse visibility?

I find I use mine more to see how close the tailgater is to my bumper than any other time as the parking warning rings and distance display are most useful in the too-crowded garage.

My Aug 2018 car is on the list.