Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017-2020 Model 3 recalled for trunk/rear camera issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had this become a permanent problem? It seems like it happens for a little while to most people, then a firmware update comes along that fixes it, and people disappear from this thread.

Contrary to the person up the thread that boasted it hasn't happened since upgrading to HW 3.0, I never had it happen in over 2 years with HW 2.5 and it started happening a month after my HW 3.0 retrofit. Not right away, and not right after firmware update, just randomly started one day about a month ago.

Like most everyone else who has this problem describes, my backup camera stops working after I've been parked for a while when I have Sentry mode enabled. Overnight, the car sleeps and it works again the first time I drive the next day. This is not a "sometimes thing"; it is completely predictable and repeatable every.single.day. Disabling Sentry mode is the work around, but an unacceptable long-term solution. I'm using a Samsung SSD and I haven't tried swapping it out yet to see if that changes anything.

Four firmware updates have been pushed since this problem started and it has persisted through all of them. Mobile service came out to troubleshoot and found all the physical connections were okay. They couldn't replicate the problem. They replaced the camera to see if that would solve anything, but it didn't fix it.

I haven't seen any other complaints about this in recent months. I don't understand what it is about my specific car that is making this happen. It's just the latest in frequent bugs/annoyances that has really started to sour me about this car over the past 2.5 years.
You have to have the cable replaced. Tesla has been shady as hell regarding this. Even the recall hasn’t been done just a “notice” have them replace the cable and all your problems will go away.

I was sick of the wait and delay I just went to Tesla and bought the whole wiring harness and took my own time to dissemble the rear passenger decklid area and trunk cover. Very happy with my take it slow approach to install it properly while not damaging or making dirty my trim pieces.

I was sick of the wait and delay I just went to Tesla and bought the whole wiring harness and took my own time to dissemble the rear passenger decklid area and trunk cover. Very happy with my take it slow approach to install it properly while not damaging or making dirty my trim pieces.
By law Tesla will give you your back. Send an email to support and they will send a refund.

Reactions: WhiteWi and bobby g
I've never been a big fan of that whole theory that everyone who doesn't own or want a Tesla is part of a huge conspiracy against the company.
But I assume that you are fully aware that:

A) any issue that Tesla has (like every single fatal crash of any kind, it’s no fun when people survive) is plastered all over the global Media, and it’s always “Autopilot’s fault”

How many Chevrolet Malibu crashes are International news? They make lots of those, and they’re less safe

B) there are many, many groups that (still) want Tesla to fail

C) Biden refused to even utter the word “Tesla” for over a year after taking office. He didn’t want to offend the UAW, apparently. Then, The WH got the EV makers together for a big photo op. Tesla was not invited.

Instead, he commented on how “Mary (Barra) and GM are the leaders in electrification.” GM sold 26 EVs last year. Not a typo. Tesla sold close to one Million. But GM is the leader. Uh-huh.

Teslas get run off the road just because they are Teslas.

Teslas get brake-checked just because they are Teslas.

Teslas get keyed/damaged just because they are Teslas.

Does that happen to Chevy Malibus?

I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but I will stand behind those comments 100% (and would do so in a Court of Law)

i brought my M3 to the Tesla service center in March for front tire bushing or shock absorber squeaking issues, replacements were covered under warranty. Tesla inspected the recalled camera cable and did not replace it. I have not had a visbility issue with the backup camera.

I got this (cable to rear camera at the trunk) fixed a month ago by Tesla Mobile service for $150.. Anyone think Tesla will reimburse me?
Good luck with that. I'm jealous that you actually got someone at Tesla Mobile to fix it. I've asked three times for a repair, and was cancelled on each time by Tesla, being told basically that "Don't call us. We'll call you." I'm not holding my breath. My back up camera remains broken now 4 months. Independent repair shops won't touch it. So, whereas $150 out for Tesla's admitted design flaw is painful, at least you got repair service and a functional camera. Seems impossible here in the Bay Area, Tesla's hometown.

I have tried to get reimbursed, but no luck.. thanks for reminding me to keep at it. I guess I should feel lucky to have had the work completed at all (?).. it's a significant safety issue, and sad to see it take so long for resolution

Good news is that Tesla finally put the bulletin for this repair out on 4/29.

SB-21-17-008_Retrofit_Trunk_Lid_Harness

The "guide protector" is already a B revision.

Parts Required
1762505-00-B
1008327-00-A
1449724-00-A

The guide, zip tie attachment to the trunk and a zip tie.

OR
1068789-00-G
This is a replacement harness.

The fun thing for us will be if we get the car ripped apart or just the guide installed.

Release the rubber armor from the trunk lid, and inspect the coax cable within the armor (Figures 1 and 2).
If the coax cable has a yellow stripe - Replace the trunk lid harness (refer to Service Manual procedure
17104502). Discontinue this procedure and use correction code S022117008.

• If the coax cable is all black - Fasten the rubber armor to the trunk lid and go to the next step.

1653079444447.png

1653079523267.png

Good news is that Tesla finally put the bulletin for this repair out on 4/29.

SB-21-17-008_Retrofit_Trunk_Lid_Harness

The "guide protector" is already a B revision.

Parts Required
1762505-00-B
1008327-00-A
1449724-00-A

The guide, zip tie attachment to the trunk and a zip tie.

OR
1068789-00-G
This is a replacement harness.

The fun thing for us will be if we get the car ripped apart or just the guide installed.

Release the rubber armor from the trunk lid, and inspect the coax cable within the armor (Figures 1 and 2).
If the coax cable has a yellow stripe - Replace the trunk lid harness (refer to Service Manual procedure
17104502). Discontinue this procedure and use correction code S022117008.

• If the coax cable is all black - Fasten the rubber armor to the trunk lid and go to the next step.

View attachment 806786

View attachment 806790
Thanks for this! I’ve been wondering for months what the “guard” looked like. Appreciate the info. Asked Mobile about this months ago and they I believe had the harnesses but not the guards so he said “don’t call us we‘ll call you“. Also asked about the squeaking FUCAs and it was winter 🥶 (Feb) so he told me to wait as the sealant wouldn’t cure. We elected to what for the spring and warmer temps. Here we are. I’m going out now to check my wire stripe or not.

Ski

Umm...ok. Odd response to my pointing out it's a recall. Honestly all of my experiences with mobile service have been great but when I need to take it to the service center it's been hit or miss.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220603-103305~2.png
    Screenshot_20220603-103305~2.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 214