Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017-2020 Model 3 recalled for trunk/rear camera issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the meantime, hopefully this pipe insulation will reduce stress on the cable:
View attachment 824189

View attachment 824190

Just make sure that doesn't force some other part of the harness into a hard radius as the trunk goes through its operation. It's also likely going to rub paint so keep things clean and inspect that it isn't wearing the paint through.

08/2018 M3P. When this recall first went out I happened to be in for a tailgate issue (switch not responding), but was told they don't make this replacement unless there are issues.

Roughly a week or so ago, I started receiving the "black rear camera" issue, but it was intermittent. If the car sat, say overnight, and I got in it "might" work for the trip, but leaving on sentry and returning after leaving the car and it'd be gone. I submitted an initial mobile service, but then got pushed an update and right after the car applied it, the camera worked again so I cancelled the service. Later the same day, it was gone again so I rescheduled mobile service. For reference, I picked "Camera & Sensors" and stated rear camera was not working in car or via the app (sentry). When mobile service was approved, they had the "recall" on the list but I was originally quoted ~$90 for the basic troubleshooting, etc.

Service tech arrived, briefly checked the harness (nothing splayed on wires) and opted to replace it because camera wasn't working when they checked.

After he was complete, they 0'd out the cost as "Goodwill - Service". The only part was:

ASY,HARN,DECKLID,M3(1068789-00-G)

I do NOT have a plastic guide at that bend like some of the other photos here show. It's a new cable with what appears to be slightly more slack in that area.

Attachments

• trunk-harness.png
    trunk-harness.png
    244.2 KB · Views: 395
My rear camera doesn't work sometimes. It's very frustrating and feel it just increases the risk of not seeing something and backing into it.

Thankfully it works most the time. But there are just random times it will not work and its just a black screen. I don't think anything is wrong with it, but maybe a glitch in software update? I'd like to know how I can stop this from happening.

I’m nearing end of warranty on my 18 M3, but haven’t received any communications regarding this recall besides the message from January. My camera works fine, but I’d like to be proactive while in warranty. Has anyone with a functional cam received repair work?

I’m nearing end of warranty on my 18 M3, but haven’t received any communications regarding this recall besides the message from January. My camera works fine, but I’d like to be proactive while in warranty. Has anyone with a functional cam received repair work?
I also have a 2018 model 3 and just had my replaced, the tech verified there was no issue but I asked to replace it as well. I am already out of warranty and it doesn't matter since it's a recall. It will always be replace free. I'm located in Cali. Tech did say they didn't have the harness for quite some time so it might be now that they started getting shipment

My rear camera doesn't work sometimes. It's very frustrating and feel it just increases the risk of not seeing something and backing into it.

Thankfully it works most the time. But there are just random times it will not work and its just a black screen. I don't think anything is wrong with it, but maybe a glitch in software update? I'd like to know how I can stop this from happening.
This is what mine was doing. It would work if it sat for a while (maybe reset?) but then after driving to a location and returning, would not work for a while. Since the mobile service where they replaced it, I haven't had any issues.

Just got a new 2022 Model 3 LR AWD about 2 weeks ago. My rear view camera image is black. It came back one time, but now it has been out all day. I've made a Service Appt, but I guess I have to live without Rear view camera for over a month since my Appt isn't until April 30th. Sigh, just enjoying the FULL Tesla owner experience.
You need nightvision glasses to see the black
screen.

i brought my M3 to the Tesla service center in March for front tire bushing or shock absorber squeaking issues, replacements were covered under warranty. Tesla inspected the recalled camera cable and did not replace it. I have not had a visbility issue with the backup camera.
I think you probably mean front control arms?

That’s a known issue. They will replace them under warranty.

There’s also an FSB about it. They will do a fix under warranty, if there’s no issues with the arms at that point.

Mine’s had the fix, and my friend’s (much higher mileage) just had his replaced.

Thanks for this! I’ve been wondering for months what the “guard” looked like. Appreciate the info. Asked Mobile about this months ago and they I believe had the harnesses but not the guards so he said “don’t call us we‘ll call you“. Also asked about the squeaking FUCAs and it was winter 🥶 (Feb) so he told me to wait as the sealant wouldn’t cure. We elected to what for the spring and warmer temps. Here we are. I’m going out now to check my wire stripe or not.

Ski
I don’t think the sealant (from a caulk gun, wish I had shot a video of it) will stop the squeaking.

It’s to prevent it.

Squeaking becomes play.

The arms need to be replaced.

Don't worry. The recall has nothing to do with your warranty. Warranty or not - a recall is free replacement of a defect.

Reactions: BuzzinAround
But I assume that you are fully aware that:

A) any issue that Tesla has (like every single fatal crash of any kind, it’s no fun when people survive) is plastered all over the global Media, and it’s always “Autopilot’s fault”

How many Chevrolet Malibu crashes are International news? They make lots of those, and they’re less safe

B) there are many, many groups that (still) want Tesla to fail

C) Biden refused to even utter the word “Tesla” for over a year after taking office. He didn’t want to offend the UAW, apparently. Then, The WH got the EV makers together for a big photo op. Tesla was not invited.

Instead, he commented on how “Mary (Barra) and GM are the leaders in electrification.” GM sold 26 EVs last year. Not a typo. Tesla sold close to one Million. But GM is the leader. Uh-huh.

Teslas get run off the road just because they are Teslas.

Teslas get brake-checked just because they are Teslas.

Teslas get keyed/damaged just because they are Teslas.

Does that happen to Chevy Malibus?

I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but I will stand behind those comments 100% (and would do so in a Court of Law)

Your post is 100% correct. It was odd, and not surprising, that Tesla was not getting the recognition deserved for being the biggest catalyst in the EV movement. However, I am not surprised why it happened. My personal opinion is, all business leaders should keep their political opinions to themselves. It never makes sense to alienate current or potential customers, but again Musk's hubris catches up to him the more successful he becomes.

Reactions: notsure11
08/2018 M3P. When this recall first went out I happened to be in for a tailgate issue (switch not responding), but was told they don't make this replacement unless there are issues.

Roughly a week or so ago, I started receiving the "black rear camera" issue, but it was intermittent. If the car sat, say overnight, and I got in it "might" work for the trip, but leaving on sentry and returning after leaving the car and it'd be gone. I submitted an initial mobile service, but then got pushed an update and right after the car applied it, the camera worked again so I cancelled the service. Later the same day, it was gone again so I rescheduled mobile service. For reference, I picked "Camera & Sensors" and stated rear camera was not working in car or via the app (sentry). When mobile service was approved, they had the "recall" on the list but I was originally quoted ~$90 for the basic troubleshooting, etc.

Service tech arrived, briefly checked the harness (nothing splayed on wires) and opted to replace it because camera wasn't working when they checked.

After he was complete, they 0'd out the cost as "Goodwill - Service". The only part was:

ASY,HARN,DECKLID,M3(1068789-00-G)

I do NOT have a plastic guide at that bend like some of the other photos here show. It's a new cable with what appears to be slightly more slack in that area.
I had this issue with rear camera working only intermittently, with autopilot unavailable due to the camera not working. Set up a mobile service appointment and the tech came out in a model s, replaced the wiring harness free of charge (my 2018 is out of warranty). I suppose it was free because of the recall, which I hadn’t known about.

Yeah I can confirm the parts are rolling into stock. I just had mine repaired via mobile service in Cali.

Just my luck though, the tech cracked my rear glass during the repair. Ugh, another service visit. I'm also unhappy with how loose the trunk lid interior plastic is held into place now. It's like the clips near the hand grip areas are messed up now. I'm going to mention it when I get my rear glass replaced. Hopefully new clips are easy to install.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer