Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017-2020 Model 3 recalled for trunk/rear camera issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I can confirm the parts are rolling into stock. I just had mine repaired via mobile service in Cali.

Just my luck though, the tech cracked my rear glass during the repair. Ugh, another service visit. I'm also unhappy with how loose the trunk lid interior plastic is held into place now. It's like the clips near the hand grip areas are messed up now. I'm going to mention it when I get my rear glass replaced. Hopefully new clips are easy to install.
When I first got my model3, the tail light on the trunk had condensation in it and 26 days later it was full of water. So mobile service comes to replace the light and needs to remove that plastic interior trunk liner on the trunk lid. The technician removes 4 plastic push tabs since that’s all that was holding the liner to the lid when it left the factory. When he put it back on, he pulled out a tool box full of tabs..blues and whites…because there are suppose to be 8 or more to hold that liner to the lid. Possibly they half assed it when putting your liner back on?

Reactions: Resist
When I first got my model3, the tail light on the trunk had condensation in it and 26 days later it was full of water. So mobile service comes to replace the light and needs to remove that plastic interior trunk liner on the trunk lid. The technician removes 4 plastic push tabs since that’s all that was holding the liner to the lid when it left the factory. When he put it back on, he pulled out a tool box full of tabs..blues and whites…because there are suppose to be 8 or more to hold that liner to the lid. Possibly they half assed it when putting your liner back on?
It certainly seems like this is the case. The tech didn't replace my clips. I'll see what the service center says on Monday.

All repairs conducted by Tesla have a 1 year warranty (according to a mobile tech) so I'll just cite that if they give me any grief at the service center.

Hear Elon Musk making some snarky remarks about the NEW recall tonight. I had an intermittently blank rear camera about 2 months ago. I scheduled a service visit and they blew me off saying "parts, later". Let me tell you, it's not cool for Musk to be making snarky remarks about the NHTSA's focus on safety after my car now has 2 recalls and I have already been turned down for the first one. I scheduled another service appointment tonight. Let's see what they say. I live 8 miles from the Tesla factory that makes the Model 3 I find it quite unlikely there have zero, nil, nada camera cables anywhere within 1000 miles of my house because they are literally assembling new cars 8 miles away ...

They recently accepted my service request for the rear camera recall. It might mean replacing the cable or adding a plastic brace to limit the cable's bending radius.

(They also accepted my request to fix a rattle. This should pan out now that I can hack it with a piece of foam in the corner of the windshield.)

The app's Service section now also says "CCS Adapter Retrofit >" -> "Appointments for the CCS Combo 1 Adapter retrofit are currently unavailable. Check back in early 2023 for availability." News to me.

Hear Elon Musk making some snarky remarks about the NEW recall tonight. I had an intermittently blank rear camera about 2 months ago. I scheduled a service visit and they blew me off saying "parts, later". Let me tell you, it's not cool for Musk to be making snarky remarks about the NHTSA's focus on safety after my car now has 2 recalls and I have already been turned down for the first one. I scheduled another service appointment tonight. Let's see what they say. I live 8 miles from the Tesla factory that makes the Model 3 I find it quite unlikely there have zero, nil, nada camera cables anywhere within 1000 miles of my house because they are literally assembling new cars 8 miles away ...
That fact that you live close to the factory has ZERO impact on YOUR specific availability: zero, nil, nada

They recently accepted my service request for the rear camera recall. It might mean replacing the cable or adding a plastic brace to limit the cable's bending radius.

(They also accepted my request to fix a rattle. This should pan out now that I can hack it with a piece of foam in the corner of the windshield.)
Correction: I just noticed a message in the app that they don't have the parts yet for the recall. They are preparing to work on the rattle.
(@D Gillies , it's the Palo Alto service center.)

I'm also unhappy with how loose the trunk lid interior plastic is held into place now. It's like the clips near the hand grip areas are messed up now. I'm going to mention it when I get my rear glass replaced. Hopefully new clips are easy to install.
I just came searching this thread for exactly the same issue. Now every time I grab one of the handholds to pull the trunk lid down, it sort of pulls away from the metal. Maybe 1/4 inch of slop. It used to be really solid. Getting to Tesla from here is an all-day affair. Does anyone know how we can fix this ourselves?

I just came searching this thread for exactly the same issue. Now every time I grab one of the handholds to pull the trunk lid down, it sort of pulls away from the metal. Maybe 1/4 inch of slop. It used to be really solid. Getting to Tesla from here is an all-day affair. Does anyone know how we can fix this ourselves?
I took mine off and put it back on. Just made sure the plastic clips were not bent in the wrong way so when I clipped it on everything was nice and tight. See on YouTube how to remove and replace it easily.

For anyone who hasnt had the harness replaced yet (or only had the stress relief bandaid installed) and still with the rear view camera going out/black intermittently, flickering, cutting in and out on trunk open/close - with the camera off -

go into service mode and check for active alerts. You may just find this little gem that is otherwise not visible to the end user. Its a clear indication of the harness needing to go and the cause of your trouble.

Looks like a fairly involved install which requires removal of trim pieces that love to break, destroy clips and cause rattles.

Attachments

• 20221105_173019.jpg
    20221105_173019.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 134
  • Screenshot_20221106_071747_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20221106_071747_Edge.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_20221106_071930_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20221106_071930_Edge.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_20221106_072042_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20221106_072042_Edge.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot_20221106_072117_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20221106_072117_Edge.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
My rear view camera is now almost always out... service menu notifications show the following two alerts reoccuring multiple times daily....

In a way I wish the harness could just ve repaired instead of replaced give how invesive replacement is.20221106_155619.jpg

I just had mine in for other work and the recall wasn't done. I didn't even bother to ask as it isn't showing up in the app.

If you have access to a 3D printer I'll put in a plug again for the following:

2017-2020 Model 3 Trunk Cable Guide (Recall "Fixer")

Used four links and so far no scratches or binding. I'd rather not have the wire break and deal with both the lack of backup camera and the more invasive repair while Tesla fixes its supply issues. It's ridiculous that some people may have been unable to use the backup camera for 6 months or more.

Nothing like having a car where you question, "Do I really need to open the trunk?"