Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.28.4 cf44833 incorrect car placement in a lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ABC2D

Dec 19, 2016
Home
My 2017 March build X drives severely to the left on AP2 after getting .28 c528869 update. When I say to the lift, I dont mean not centered, it's so much to the left that left wheels are actually over the dividing line. The car is actually aware of its position and IC correctly shows that the car is on the dividing line, but all my attempts to "nudge" the AP into the center always result in disengagement.

Reported to Tesla, waiting for a solution.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
MasterT, I had this same issue in our MX last week. I called tesla support and reported it and about 4-5 days later the AP started working correctly. I assume their needs to be some sort of calibration of the cameras. Between the update and when it started working for me again was about 200 miles.

I know it's hard to deal with right now but it will be fixed shortly. Happy driving!

Well, just a few hours later, got an update notification and updated to 2017.28.4 cf44833 - no improvements

Mods: can someone please update thread title and replace "2017.28 c528869" with "2017.28.4 cf44833"

I called support and was instructed to send Tesla a catalogue of photos of my car exploring new ways of interpreting lanes.

Tesla Support said:
Thank you for contacting Tesla Vehicle Support. On your behalf, I have submitted your feedback regarding the autopilot functionality after the latest firmware update, to the appropriate team and can assure you that the right people will get the information. We are always striving to improve our products and feedback such as yours is greatly valued. Don’t hesitate to email or call us if you have any further feedback, questions or concerns.

Thanks for being a Tesla Owner!

This was July 26th. Perhaps shortly I will magically have a car that can see lanes and understand "middle" again.

FWIW: I'm still on 28.cblahblahblah69

That's how mine positions itself

upload_2017-8-2_9-10-0.png

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
I've had the exact same issue. Had it drive over the left lane line, showing it on the screen. Did it every time I turned AP on. Was doing it earlier in the day too.

10 minutes later, it was fine, even without a drive cycle.

But the car has hundreds of miles on it since the SW update.

I had the same issue (but to the right, and even going into bushes and almost into the curb on the right, repeatedly).

I thought it was a software issue, or the sensors were misaligned or miscalculated, however I found out from Tesla service that it was caused by alignment issues. They said these cars (especially the 'D' dual motor version) can go well out of alignment.

When your car goes in a straight line without autopilot, is your steering wheel exactly at 12 o clock, or is it a little to the right or left? If it is off from 12 o clock to the right, that would explain why the car goes a little left when the wheel is straight, and getting an alignment done should fix it.

MasterT, I had this same issue in our MX last week. I called tesla support and reported it and about 4-5 days later the AP started working correctly. I assume their needs to be some sort of calibration of the cameras. Between the update and when it started working for me again was about 200 miles.

I know it's hard to deal with right now but it will be fixed shortly. Happy driving!
Yup, agree entirely.

This build sucks....I keep getting the warning to immediately take control (red flashing lights one, not the one prompting you to hold the wheel)....This is on a main road with clear lines etc. just going straight.

Had this issue so many times going through intersections. Its a lot smoother otherwise when it actually works.

When your car goes in a straight line without autopilot, is your steering wheel exactly at 12 o clock, or is it a little to the right or left? If it is off from 12 o clock to the right, that would explain why the car goes a little left when the wheel is straight, and getting an alignment done should fix it.
If this were the problem, the car would continue wandering left and run off the road. OP's car moves left and then holds its position relative to the lane line, but not centered.