Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.28 c528869

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just downloaded it tonight and took it out for a little local spin. While at a red light behind another car with TACC on and the car in front of me started to move up a little and stopped, my MX followed but didn't stop even to the point where the sensors started turning yellow then red and I had to take over and hit the breaks. This has never happened to me before and hope it was just a one time glitch...

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
Tested 17.28 c528869 today on Highway 101-South between Menlo Park and Sunnyvale. Some odd lane markings on that segment because of construction and AP is still doing its drunk driving with my MX - not very silky, but scary. I also have a MS with AP1 and it is way better than my MX with AP2.

At this rate I seriously wonder how that autonomous drive from LA to NY is supposed to happen this year.

• Informative
Reactions: 365gtb4 and Matias
2017.28.C528869 | MX90D AP2 | 40 mile drive up and down 101 between Mountain View and San Mateo, some local roads on both ends.

Good:
- Stable and smooth on steady highway cruising. Drives better than some of my friends.
- Handles cars ahead coming in and out of lane smoothly
- Smooth and reliable lane changes.
- Smoother braking and starting on local roads with traffic. Also stopping closer and accelerating sooner but still some room for improvement. See below.
- Handles troublesome curves and intersections better than it did before. Sometimes flawlessly, sometimes with a little hunting, fewer failures overall.

Still needs improvement:
- Stop and go traffic: I'd like to see it stop closer to cars ahead and to accelerate sooner when traffic moves. It's better now but I'd say it was stopping more than half a car length behind cars before. Now it's 1/3 of a car length. I'd like it to be 1/4 to 1/5 of a car length. When traffic starts moving it used to feel like it waited 3 beats before moving. Now it's 2. I'd like to see 1 beat before moving.
- Could be smoother on tight local twisties. It's doing a better job of not failing at them but it could be smoother and turn in sooner
- Doesn't love coming up on stopped traffic from high speed. Waits a little too long, which results in more aggressive braking than necessary. Better than not stopping, which it tended to do before.
- Couldn't handle very sharp curves (construction zone zig zag kind of thing) at highway speed (70mph)

Pretty happy with this release. I also feel like the web browser is a little faster than it was before. Usable to read this forum while sitting at a supercharger, but if I had my reading glasses with me I'd have used my phone instead.

I finally had a chance to get out on the highway with this update today and was really impressed with how smooth the lane changes are now. Lane changes on the last two versions were really aggressive and jarring....on this version it really feels like they've nailed the feeling of a confident but safe and comfortable lane change.
I so wish they had a developer/engineering version of the release notes where they went into really granular detail on how these types changes are being made. I'd really love to know more about what goes on under the hood when you see things like lane changes go from being pretty over the top to feeling quite refined over a single build.

Logged 300 miles on this latest update. Many good improvements, and as others said, finally lane changes are spot on! Confident and smooth. It really works. Until this version lane change was way too slow or jarringly fast--now it perfect.

Another important improvement I have not read here so far: the steering wheel is far more sensitive and detects your hand much better. Low just resting a hand on the steering wheel is enough to avoid warnings. Before I had to wiggle the steering wheel, which was rather annoying. Now it really behaves as it should.

Logged 300 miles on this latest update. Many good improvements, and as others said, finally lane changes are spot on! Confident and smooth. It really works. Until this version lane change was way too slow or jarringly fast--now it perfect.

Another important improvement I have not read here so far: the steering wheel is far more sensitive and detects your hand much better. Low just resting a hand on the steering wheel is enough to avoid warnings. Before I had to wiggle the steering wheel, which was rather annoying. Now it really behaves as it should.
I was just getting ready to write something about the steering wheel feel. First thing I noticed was how the wheel felt in my hands. I generally keep both hands resting on the wheel at the 9 and 3 positions while driving. When I started driving after the latest FW upload the steering felt like it had changed from Standard to Comfort. I had to pull up Controls to verify it had not changed. Although I did receive one flashing warning yesterday it does feel like it is more sensitive than before. I still make a little jiggle during times when the road remains straight for a prolonged period of time but that is simply out of habit.

On thing that appeared yesterday which I had never seen before was the a variance in the direction the image of the car in front of me was portrayed. I was on TACC and stopped behind a small delivery cube truck on a surface street. The image of it in the IC was naturally shown as a car but it was pointed in the 1 o'clock position instead of the normal 12 o'clock position. It changed back to the 12 o'clock position once the truck started moving forward. Not sure what to make of that but it did catch me completely off-guard.

I just tested 2017.28 for about 70km, and it seems to be smoother around curves. I would still prefer lane change to be a bit gentler, but at least it's not as abrupt as before. Steering wheel also seems to be more sensitive to touch when making alert go away. However the car still brakes too early and too much when someone cuts into my lane.

Overall a good release.

Similar experiences as @dark and @Tjhappel 60+ mile ride to weekend house and twice, it jammed the brakes at 75mph+, and sounded the alarm with not a soul in front of me. The first time wa,.

""s only a second of whiplash and then it resumed, but the second time, it held for much longer while the alarm rang out and the red death grip flashed on the scree.n. Dropped to 48mph and scared the daylights out of me. Lucky no one was behind me.

Very disturbing.........and all around performance is not nearly as trustworthy nor fluid as my AP1 S.
Amazing to see the variety of responses.

• Informative
Reactions: Magus
Similar experiences as @dark and @Tjhappel 60+ mile ride to weekend house and twice, it jammed the brakes at 75mph+, and sounded the alarm with not a soul in front of me. The first time wa,.

""s only a second of whiplash and then it resumed, but the second time, it held for much longer while the alarm rang out and the red death grip flashed on the scree.n. Dropped to 48mph and scared the daylights out of me. Lucky no one was behind me.

Very disturbing.........and all around performance is not nearly as trustworthy nor fluid as my AP1 S.
Amazing to see the variety of responses.
My wife complaints every time I use AP, she get scare and ask me not to use it anymore. I wonder if I can get a full refund + tax.

My wife complaints every time I use AP, she get scare and ask me not to use it anymore. I wonder if I can get a full refund + tax.

My wife said she might actually use Autosteer herself next time, if the nags were tolerable. She hasn't really got the hang of clearing them yet. The lane change was very nice. I never felt like the other drivers might think I was drunk.

Lane changing is awesome now compared to the unsure abrupt changes from previous update. Well marked straight lanes are really smooth and steering wheel no longer makes as many micro adjustments.

It appears that it is smoother due to it being lax with forcing steering wheel turns though. Sharper curves still has me riding the line or even crossing them. Still will not trust it to stop for a stopped or rapidly slowing car in highway traffic - it still barrels into the stationary car.

Just this morning in wide open carpool lane that was wide curving and gridlocked traffic in normal lanes, it was doing something interesting. Instead of going at highway speed set in autopilot, it slowed to around 50-55mph "hunting" for cars. As in passengers could feel every ~1 second a blip of pause as if detecting each stopped car in adjacent lane, trying to follow the lane cautiously so maybe there is some kind of speed delta relative to stopped lanes or radar was being confused with what it was seeing and reconciling with camera.

Overall, MUCH better update than before after hundreds of miles on this update.

It has been pretty solid for me in both lane changing and steering until two incidents today reinforced the idea that I shouldn't take anything for granted. Was out shopping this morning and decided to change lanes when all of a sudden it decided to steer me straight into a block freeway sound barrier wall. Then, when returning home, I changed lanes again when it jerked left and scared the crap out of both myself and my wife. I certainly hope this isn't the start of some type of regression I experienced during the .26.76 upgrade. That one went from pretty good to almost unusable for me.

• Informative
Reactions: Magus