Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice that the homelink GPS is off now. It might have started with 17.26.76 but I only noticed it last week. When I approach my garage it takes 50 more feet to activate the opener and it won't close when I park now. It demands I drive 5 more feet which is beyond where my car can go (brick walls are restrictive like that).
We haven't noticed any issues with Homelink since receiving the last update on both cars. Our garage doors still open and close exactly as before. Someone else reported a GPS issue that was fixed after they rebooted.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
17.28.c2983492387 isn't a progression from 17.26.76, it's just a completely different creation altogether. Both releases are "autopilot control algorithms" but there's no sense of heredity

Damn progress!

It has so little reverence for the past.

Everytime I visit the doctors, I wish there was an echo of no antibiotics.

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV
Damn progress!

It has so little reverence for the past.

Everytime I visit the doctors, I wish there was an echo of no antibiotics.
Sure, occasionally a technology advances due to revolutionary changes in the state of the art. (I do drive a spaceship car after all) But, an awful lot of progress in technology occurs through evolutionary improvements to the state of the art. (my spaceship car does have more cupholders than the ones made just a few years ago)

All I'm getting at is that I don't feel like (who knows what's really going on at Tesla) the AP development process is one of evolutionary improvement. It's like I said, I feel like it's still one of throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks. There's a time for that, and that's fine, but I thought with all the years of TeslaVision development (that I thought was happening even during the MobilEye relationship) that it would be further along in maturity. But that is all just my imagination of what's going on; not actually founded on any fact.

With this versioin I have had a few occasioins where the AP started panicing, flashing red and aborting without any visible reason.

Anyone experienced the same?

Yes, had the same, red blinking car warning like I was about to collide with a vehicle that wasn't there and also a few random braking events that weren't accompanied with the collision warning. The next vehicle in front of me was over 100' away, and now autopilot is unusable as it's driving ON the drivers side lane line (And showing itself doing this on the instrument cluster). It's weird because I updated it last week and it was working great for me then this week, boom, weird issues.

Driving 2017.28.cx for a few days now, had been doing so since 17.17 and before that AP1 on the same commute route in Toronto Canada. I can say that with the latest update, AP2 feels about he same as AP1 on highway and surface streets. It is at if not above parity in basic lane and distance keeping for the most part. However, it is lacking some features such as lane change on non highways, vehicle display on the dash, and accurate speed limits.

I had no issues with home link, and it does slow down for curves. In fact it slows down so much that I have to disengage most of the time so the cars behind me doesn't get mad.

Oh, my speed limit display is still wrong, and shows 161kmph when it should say 100kmph.

Looking forward for the next step

Speaking of rain - did AP2 finally happen to get rain sensing wipers, like AP1 models and any other halfway decent cars have?

My understanding is that while the HW1 cars have a sensor dedicated to this purpose, the intent is for HW2 cars to use an algorithm analyzing input from a camera for this purpose. If that's the case, they've gone from a simple, cheap approach used ubiquitously across many brands to a leap into the unknown. No sign of this feature yet.

I guess the good news is that as soon as FSD arrives - any moment now? - we won't need windshield wipers at all, as the car will be doing the driving and human visibility will be vestigial.

FWIW I think this is not an AutoPilot feature, thus the reference to HW2 rather than AP2.

• Funny
Reactions: 1 person
Been commuting for a week with this update, and absolutely love it still. Freeway driving is absolutely silky smooth, no more odd gaps in stop-and-go, smooth brake ramping to a stop, and never required an Autosteer intervention. It really feels as good if not better than AP1 has ever done on my commute.

City driving is still quite lackluster. Hopefully the behavior of AP2 through intersections is on the team's short list.

FWIW, I found that stop and go smoothness improved a lot in the first 10-20 minutes of true stop and go traffic. It seems like there is some sort of calibration of how much braking to apply that only happens when the car is actually subject to such conditions.

• Informative
Reactions: mach.89 and EinSV
Ditto, this release is the best I've seen for AP2 so far. We drove 8,100 miles cross country earlier this summer with no issues.
With this new release and more to come, we can't wait to drive back east in September using the silky smooth software with
decent lane changes. I love this car!! P100D Awesome!!! I was in IT for 38 years working with software and major
implementations. To completely start over with AP software last year and replace Mobile Eye is a monumental task.
It takes a lot of effort to develop, test, QA and roll out software for most applications. This is even more difficult given
the human life ramifications and all the moving/changing variables. Can't wait for the continued firmware rollouts and
eventual Level 5!!

First, let me throw in this disclaimer: I am a big fan of the direction Tesla is headed with all of this. It is certainly not perfect yet and I fully understand that. Patience was a prerequisite when I bought the car so I knew that going in. The car, BTW, is AP2 capable.

I am happy to read the many good experiences others are having with this latest FW update. I migrated from .26.76 and when I got 2017.28 I was so relieved that this version was performing so well compared to what I had. Unfortunately, this version, while still a bit better, is regressing just like .26.76 did. The last two days of driving have really started to test my patience and makes me feel like I am taking one step forward and two steps back. A week ago, when I first received this update, everything was great. Over the last two days, not so much.

As examples, here are a few of the before and after changes that have taken place over the last two day. All cameras and sensors are clear of dirt and debris:

1. Before: lane keeping was excellent. Stayed perfectly in the lane and navigated turns flawlessly. Now: hugs the left lane line far too much and is almost dangerous in many situations.
2. Before: excellent at reading the lane lines and remaining steady within them in all situations. Now: jerks back and forth each time the freeway pavement changes from asphalt (dark) to concrete (light) even though the IC shows it is reading the lines perfectly. Many times the jerking gets so bad AP disconnects itself.
3. Before: passed under all overpasses and signs with no problems. Now: does short, rapid decelerations when approaching many of the same overpasses and signs.
4. Before: lane changing was as smooth as advertised going both left and right. Now: transitioning left is so slow before it makes an actual move that I have had to abort the change many times as cars coming up on me, which were quite a ways back when I initiated the change action, were now coming too close for safety. Lane changes to the right are far better than going left but I did have two instances where I had to abort the change as it was taking place as the car was driving me straight into a sound wall.
5. Before: while in close proximity to other traffic on both sides and in front the car handled everything flawlessly. Now: similar situations causes the car to jerk back and forth, almost in a panic mode, until either I disengage or the car does it on its own.
6. Before: handled all merging traffic in a polite manner (set at 7). Now: FCW and the red car in the IC happening far too often and in situations that are completely unnecessary.
7. Before: a happy smile and happy wife. Now: "AH, COME ON!" or "WHAT THE F*#K!!" and gasps from the wife along with "What was THAT?" (Fortunately, I have a very understanding wife who, for now, is tolerating this behavior.)

First, let me throw in this disclaimer: I am a big fan of the direction Tesla is headed with all of this. It is certainly not perfect yet and I fully understand that. Patience was a prerequisite when I bought the car so I knew that going in. The car, BTW, is AP2 capable.

I am happy to read the many good experiences others are having with this latest FW update. I migrated from .26.76 and when I got 2017.28 I was so relieved that this version was performing so well compared to what I had. Unfortunately, this version, while still a bit better, is regressing just like .26.76 did. The last two days of driving have really started to test my patience and makes me feel like I am taking one step forward and two steps back. A week ago, when I first received this update, everything was great. Over the last two days, not so much.

As examples, here are a few of the before and after changes that have taken place over the last two day. All cameras and sensors are clear of dirt and debris:

1. Before: lane keeping was excellent. Stayed perfectly in the lane and navigated turns flawlessly. Now: hugs the left lane line far too much and is almost dangerous in many situations.
2. Before: excellent at reading the lane lines and remaining steady within them in all situations. Now: jerks back and forth each time the freeway pavement changes from asphalt (dark) to concrete (light) even though the IC shows it is reading the lines perfectly. Many times the jerking gets so bad AP disconnects itself.
3. Before: passed under all overpasses and signs with no problems. Now: does short, rapid decelerations when approaching many of the same overpasses and signs.
4. Before: lane changing was as smooth as advertised going both left and right. Now: transitioning left is so slow before it makes an actual move that I have had to abort the change many times as cars coming up on me, which were quite a ways back when I initiated the change action, were now coming too close for safety. Lane changes to the right are far better than going left but I did have two instances where I had to abort the change as it was taking place as the car was driving me straight into a sound wall.
5. Before: while in close proximity to other traffic on both sides and in front the car handled everything flawlessly. Now: similar situations causes the car to jerk back and forth, almost in a panic mode, until either I disengage or the car does it on its own.
6. Before: handled all merging traffic in a polite manner (set at 7). Now: FCW and the red car in the IC happening far too often and in situations that are completely unnecessary.
7. Before: a happy smile and happy wife. Now: "AH, COME ON!" or "WHAT THE F*#K!!" and gasps from the wife along with "What was THAT?" (Fortunately, I have a very understanding wife who, for now, is tolerating this behavior.)

Can we see some video? Sounds like something is really wrong.

Can we see some video? Sounds like something is really wrong.
@calisnow Sorry, no video so you will just need to take my word for it. I believe in being responsible to those riding with me and those traveling around me and so I choose not to be distracted by holding a camera while I am driving. Especially when the car is so erratic.

With that said, I just returned from a 60 mile round trip from South OC to Huntington Beach to visit our grandson with approx. 75% of the drive being on freeways/toll roads. Once again it was a fairly mixed bag with one deceleration, four auto-disconnects for no reason and one lane change that wanted to take me completely through the lane I was merging into and into a car traveling in the second lane over. I do agree with you that there is definitely something wrong, at least in my car, but this type of regression happened in .26.76 also. Perhaps it is infected with gremlins or is schizophrenic but right now I will simply wait it out until the next release. I know it will get itself straightened out at some point in time but for now it seems my car has a mind of its own.

@calisnow Sorry, no video so you will just need to take my word for it. I believe in being responsible to those riding with me and those traveling around me and so I choose not to be distracted by holding a camera while I am driving. Especially when the car is so erratic.

With that said, I just returned from a 60 mile round trip from South OC to Huntington Beach to visit our grandson with approx. 75% of the drive being on freeways/toll roads. Once again it was a fairly mixed bag with one deceleration, four auto-disconnects for no reason and one lane change that wanted to take me completely through the lane I was merging into and into a car traveling in the second lane over. I do agree with you that there is definitely something wrong, at least in my car, but this type of regression happened in .26.76 also. Perhaps it is infected with gremlins or is schizophrenic but right now I will simply wait it out until the next release. I know it will get itself straightened out at some point in time but for now it seems my car has a mind of its own.

If there is, in fact, some kind of calibration period after first getting an update, it sounds like there's something about your car making that process fail catastrophically. Might be worth bringing your car to a SC.

Maybe your car has a hardware issue?

Reactions: croman
In the 10 days I've had 17.28.c528869 I've had to reboot the center console I think 4 times. Nav lockup was one, Bluetooth lockup were two of those and the 4th was an all things locked up. Only had to reboot maybe once in the 7 months prior to this version.
Also, a curious thing on the lane changing speed, at first it was nice and slow compared to 17.26.76, then yesterday it was back to a head snap, weird. Anyone else having lockup problems or varying lane change speed?

In the 10 days I've had 17.28.c528869 I've had to reboot the center console I think 4 times. Nav lockup was one, Bluetooth lockup were two of those and the 4th was an all things locked up. Only had to reboot maybe once in the 7 months prior to this version.
Also, a curious thing on the lane changing speed, at first it was nice and slow compared to 17.26.76, then yesterday it was back to a head snap, weird. Anyone else having lockup problems or varying lane change speed?
Do you have a USB drive in the car? My car started needing frequent reboots when I had a 128gb Sandisk drive installed.