Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got it on my AP2 Model X, and I noticed something a little odd. I always peek at the download sizes of these updates and I noticed that this particular update had a massive download size, which is odd for something that should be a minor release. I'm used to updates being around 100-300 MB but this update was a whopping 1.2 GB.

Here is a screenshot:

USnKXkJ.png

And here's the current update compared to the last one I received (17.26.76). The large spike in the graph on the right is 17.28 c528869 and the 2nd highest bar between July 2 - 9 is 17.26.76. The difference is huge, and the bar from today should actually be double that size (the app just didn't refresh it yet):

6TIzCQk.png

Last edited:
I guess I am just disappointed partly because of how the car was sold to me. It was presented as you buy the car now (December, 30th 2016) and within about a month AP 2.0 is going to be implemented. They made it seem like we would be seeing a car capable of way more then what we currently have. I didn't know much about autonomous cars. I had read great things about AP1 and the sales people said AP2 was going to be so much more advanced when it was rolled it the following month.

Don't blame the sales people. They were no better informed than you and me. If, as some say, there was fraud it was perpetrated at the highest levels of,the company. Had 4th quarter prospective buyers been told the truth – that Tesla's own AP software was in early stages of development, not awaiting final validation – sales would have dropped, and the company wouldn't have made its numbers for the year. That was apparently more important to the company than being honest with customers.

Reactions: Matias
I sure hope we get it soon. On 26.76 now and it is so bad that I won’t even use AP at all. Just TACC until a new update that doesn’t ping pong and 1/2 lane change requiring me to take steering control back. .76 is just terrible on my March ‘17 S100D

I now have 2017.28 c528869 installed. At least outside of highways, the autopilot now always wants to 'see' my hands on the steering wheel. Problem for me: the majority of the time (clearly less than 20%) it does not recognize my hands when I hold the steering wheel with both hands. So it is almost useless for me because it warns me constantly with this annoying white frame.

I can improve the detection to approximately 100% when I press with one hand lightly on the steering wheel in one direction. But I'm not so sure if I can hold the steering wheel fast enough in an emergency.

After a 33 mile commute this morning, a couple things to note of my experience:

First off, this update is smooth... I pool someone to work and they were so impressed they kept asking me whether I was driving or AP was. The lane changes are practically perfect... they're quick, but you don't even feel the car start the change because it's so fluid. They were actually a joy to initiate. (I can also attest that AP seems to respond to cars in its blind spot and not initiate lane change). As for stop-and-go, the fluidity is also an astounding improvement. No more jerking brakes. And it responds almost human-like to the car in front... if that car suddenly accelerates, AP quickly responds, though not abruptly. If the car ahead only extremely gradually inches forwards, AP waits for a bit, as if to prevent unecessary "springing" forward, before slowly rolling to make up the new space.

Here are the quirks: during the first 5 miles of highway AP, the car did a little back and forth dance while braking behind slow moving stop-and-go (as if to try to see past the car in front on each side). In addition, I didn't really have phantom braking events at overpasses, but AP did a little wobble dance after coming out underneath them. It would wobble about 2-3 times before centering perfectly. Weird. But after the first 5 miles or so, these quirks *seem* to have resolved themselves.

I did a bit of local road testing as well, and I'm fairly sure it's much much smoother. There were a variety of situations with intersections, where the lanes before and after the intersection didn't match up, and AP handled them beautifully without jerking, much as I would.

Overall, the drive with AP this morning, both in stop-and-go and 79mph highway driving, was very impressive... very human.

*There's still definitely no return of two-car-tracking.

Don't blame the sales people. They were no better informed than you and me. If, as some say, there was fraud it was perpetrated at the highest levels of,the company. Had 4th quarter prospective buyers been told the truth – that Tesla's own AP software was in early stages of development, not awaiting final validation – sales would have dropped, and the company wouldn't have made its numbers for the year. That was apparently more important to the company than being honest with customers.
Got our AP1 S in Sep 2014. AP software not downloaded for a year. Revolutionary changes can take time to develop

Got this update as well. For the little commute I did, I can only say that it seems better and smoother than .76. for me the .76 update was a huge step back for autosteer usability.

I can also confirm that it took a longer time to install than previous updates.

• Informative
Reactions: Turing
Is it just me, or are the release notes only giving descriptions of what has changed when they are adding things or big changes to the current functionality?

Maybe it is because my first Tesla is with HW2, so I'm just been used to new functions with each update. But now I'm mostly reliant on other users review of the firmware to have an idea of what has been changed. And more importantly, what to watch out for in order not to get a heart attack when changing lanes (that's right 17.26.76, I'm looking at you!).
Same here! I feel SO lucky to be a new owner with all the latest and greatest options! I felt like I won the lottery with my first update for the perpendicular parking, now 2017.28.C....