Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can others verify that the "keep your hands on the wheel" time is ultimately the same as it was in 17.4, or are others having the issue where it requires you to keep the hands on the wheel at all times. That is a deal breaker for me.

Generally the same.

On that note, I did some more driving tonight. Impression is largely the same as last time: it seemed absolutely perfect on the freeway but could use some work on local roads. And while lane changes are the standout feature, it's also much more smooth and stable going through lane merges and splits and generally better at staying in the lane. I've taken my nearby challenging exit(3 pretty tight curves going from freeway to a bridge), that it was never able to handle before, multiple times without needing to disengage on any of them.

On the other hand, it no longer reacts correctly to stopped cars from far away. It seems to consistently tap on the brakes hard twice and then accelerate towards the stopped car. I don't have the guts to let it go and see if it'd stop in time.

While it is now smooth, let's all be honest...there's nothing Enhanced about Enhanced Auto Pilot. It's now just shy of basic Autopilot. We still have no reliable timeline for enhanced anything, much less FSD. I wish we knew the road map at least. I can wait, they just need to communicate their planned milestones.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Got 2017.28.c133742WTFBBQ on my late 2014 AP1, and cresting algothitm has ... changed, at least. In some cases, it predicts the following road segments way better and almost human, and in one case, it ran me into the oncoming lane with "spaghetti-wiggly" lane markings in the display... (No traffic so I just let it run it's course to see if it would recover. it did, almost...)

Got 2017.28.c133742WTFBBQ on my late 2014 AP1, and cresting algothitm has ... changed, at least. In some cases, it predicts the following road segments way better and almost human, and in one case, it ran me into the oncoming lane with "spaghetti-wiggly" lane markings in the display... (No traffic so I just let it run it's course to see if it would recover. it did, almost...)
I don’t understand why the vehicle doesn’t see the gps map and attempt to drive over the crest, especially when it is a straight road, autopilot is so bizarre sometimes... why on TACC only does it slow gracefully into curves while I steer, but on autopilot on the same curve it will blast through at full speed?!?

I didn't even mention the wonderful community!

I know there are people who think that @ahkahn is clever. A lot of people like Forrest Gump, too.

I don't know how the behavior in my photos is acceptable for a 2nd generation product at this stage. But, hey, to each their own. Yet the snarky comments directed at other owners aren't particularly helpful.

If @ahkahn was offering to buy my car for what I paid (heck, for more. It has no longer available features!) then I apologize for misunderstanding.
You're more polite than I'll ever be. Heheheheheh

I updated from 17.17.4 and I believe this update is a lot smoother on the highway, no ping ponging and on local streets as well. The only problem I noticed is that it doesn't speed up quick enough when the light turns green, sometimes there will be a 15 car gap between me and the car in front of me after the light turns green. The ramp up to speed is too slow. Changing lanes on the highway is perfect.

• Informative
Reactions: croman and EinSV
That was a demonstration video, like it clearly states in the title.

Unfortunately I don't know what"Medienkompetenz" is in English. But it might help in getting your expectations right.
Oh dear, es tut mir leid! You must think my comments are Entartete Musik to your Reichsmusikkammer!

The only inference I made from the FSD/EAP announcement was that FSD/EAP was already being developed at the time of the announcement. That hardly over-reaching assumption plus some math = 9 months.

And I am laughing my ass off that you said "expectations". Triggered!

• Disagree
Reactions: hobbes and Sterph
I do most of my driving on local roads. A welcome change is that the AP actually slows down on curves for local roads.

An unwelcome change (either in this update or the previous) is that TACC seems to have majorly regressed. I've come to far too many red lights at full speed where I had to take over b/c I thought TACC was going to run me right into the back of a stopped car. With AP2 this had gotten better but has now unequivocally taken a step back.

Have you double checked that walk-away locking is still enabled after the update? That or a center screen reset might get things working again.

Usually my mirrors are folded by the time I'm 20ft-30ft away. That's the only way I can tell if the car is locked or unlocked, other than the app, so I'm usually checking them. The marker lights will come on up to 50ft away, though not always, but that doesn't mean the car is unlocked. Did you check the lock status on the app?

I have auto mirror fold on and the app showed the car door was unlocked. The door handles were also out. But I am not seeing the door self unlocking issue now. However the side view mirrors are not autofolding unless I hit the lock button again. Let me reset the screen. Do I just hold down left and right scroll butttons until the screen goes off?

As for autopilot, Lane changes are smoother than before.

Attachments

• IMG_0637.JPG
    IMG_0637.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 65
I've come to far too many red lights at full speed where I had to take over b/c I thought TACC was going to run me right into the back of a stopped car.

Why are you guys with AP2 trying to do this? Autopilot/TACC (AP1 and AP2) does not see stopped cars that stopped while out of radar range. They never have. Do not attempt to approach a stopped car on Autopilot/TACC. You will rear-end him.

Why are you guys with AP2 trying to do this? Autopilot/TACC (AP1 and AP2) does not see stopped cars that stopped while out of radar range. They never have. Do not attempt to approach a stopped car on Autopilot/TACC. You will rear-end him.

Because AP2 used to be able to do this and then suddenly stopped as of either this update or generally 17.2X.X(I'm not quite sure, but 17.17.X didn't have the issue). @verygreen mentioned that the neural network size decreased massively, so perhaps that's part of what was axed?

Either way, noting these kind of regressions is good.

I have auto mirror fold on and the app showed the car door was unlocked. The door handles were also out. But I am not seeing the door self unlocking issue now. However the side view mirrors are not autofolding unless I hit the lock button again. Let me reset the screen. Do I just hold down left and right scroll butttons until the screen goes off?

As for autopilot, Lane changes are smoother than before.
Newbie - made me think of a question. I have a 2017 MS 75D. The other day I thought i closed the (Manual) trunk and went inside a store. Door handles retracted.

Came back few min later and noticed that it never successfully closed. The manual trunk needs a bit of force to close. Any way for me to check if the trunk is actually closed (besides the app)?

Oh, another note: when I went out last night I saw what looked to be an interesting bug: the dash showed no lane lines at all(in meat space, there were no lines on the right and double yellow lines on the left) but with the steering wheel icon indicating I could turn on AS. The road was empty, so I decided to see what it would do. After activating, it immediately swung to the left to the opposite lane and I disengaged.

Because AP2 used to be able to do this and then suddenly stopped as of either this update or generally 17.2X.X(I'm not quite sure, but 17.17.X didn't have the issue).

No, neither AP1 nor AP2 were ever stated to be able to do this. It's not a feature of the system. If AP2 exhibited something similar to this behavior in the past, that is simply a side effect of the programming and/or some of the safety systems being activated to avoid a forward collision. It is not a controlled, programmed action, and you cannot rely on it.

Stopped cars and other stationary objects are specifically excluded from the radar's detection algorithm because they would cause unnecessary slow downs and emergency braking, both of which are already a problem with AP2. Image that you are going around a freeway curve. The radar detects the concrete retaining wall that's straight ahead. The car isn't going to hit it because the road curves and you are turning away from the retaining wall. But to the radar, it looks exactly like a stationary object directly in your path. The radar has to be programmed to ignore this.

When you approach a stopped car, the radar will ignore it just like it ignores the retaining wall until the safety algorithms determine that a forward collision is likely, then it brakes. This occurs when the camera finally recognizes the shape of the back end of the car ahead, but that happens far too close for comfort.

Again, do not rely on AP/TACC to brake for stopped cars. The system isn't designed for that scenario.

Reactions: sreehyd
No, neither AP1 nor AP2 were ever stated to be able to do this. It's not a feature of the system. If AP2 exhibited something similar to this behavior in the past, that is simply a side effect of the programming and/or some of the safety systems being activated to avoid a forward collision. It is not a controlled, programmed action, and you cannot rely on it.

Stopped cars and other stationary objects are specifically excluded from the radar's detection algorithm because they would cause unnecessary slow downs and emergency braking, both of which are already a problem with AP2. Image that you are going around a freeway curve. The radar detects the concrete retaining wall that's straight ahead. The car isn't going to hit it because the road curves and you are turning away from the retaining wall. But to the radar, it looks exactly like a stationary object directly in your path. The radar has to be programmed to ignore this.

When you approach a stopped car, the radar will ignore it just like it ignores the retaining wall until the safety algorithms determine that a forward collision is likely, then it brakes. This occurs when the camera finally recognizes the shape of the back end of the car ahead, but that happens far too close for comfort.

Again, do not rely on AP/TACC to brake for stopped cars. The system isn't designed for that scenario.

Never said anything about what was advertised. AP2 used to be able to reliably detect stopped cars that it had never seen, despite this not being advertised in any way. I forget exactly when that was added, but it came with the same update that added the second camera. At the time, I figured it might be that the system was using parallax between the two cameras to achieve this.

Anyway, this particular update wasn't advertised as changing anything in particular. We're just discussing changes in the behavior in the system, and behaving weirdly when coming up to stopped cars is a change in the behavior that was there before.

Reactions: BBB4000
Right, it's good advice to not rely on TACC stopping for stopped cars, but it's a behavior that has worked for a large variety of situations despite not being foolproof. It's still very valid to discuss how that behavior changes between builds.

To stop for a stopped car, basically 2 or 3 things have to happen:

(1) The camera recognizes that there is a stopped car
(2) The camera estimates a distance to the stopped car, and TACC brakes based off that estimate, AND/OR
(3) Based off the camera estimated distance, TACC finds a radar stationary object at around the same distance, and TACC can correlate that the object seen by the camera is the same as this object seen by radar.

Of course, a lot can go wrong with any of these 3 steps.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
AP2 used to be able to reliably detect stopped cars that it had never seen, despite this not being advertised in any way. I forget exactly when that was added, but it came with the same update that added the second camera. At the time, I figured it might be that the system was using parallax between the two cameras to achieve this.

I do hope that is what Tesla is trying to do, and indeed I hope that it becomes one of the "enhanced" features of EAP. But I don't think it's there yet. In the meantime, I don't think it would be prudent to rely on it.

Reactions: bmah