TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

2017.32.17 722130c

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Tjhappel, Aug 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tjhappel

Tjhappel Member

Sorry if I didn't see it but I was wondering if anyone else had this update yet? I received it last night, drove on what I would say is my hardest commute for EAP which is san clemente (carpool entire way on i5 which eap isn't good at) to riverside (55/91 which has terrible lane markings due to recent construction). On places with solid lane markings if felt way better, I'd say carpool lanes with white quad lines is just as bad if not worse than before, I had one incident today that I've never had. We lane jumped from carpool to the left shoulder for about 30 ft then back into carpool lane all under AP supervision. Very interesting behavior....

I will say it showed the turns way way smoother on the display screen, double vehicles sometimes in front of me and tacc is still just about unusable if your in a fast moving carpool lane amd traffic is slowed or stopped next to you.

Tomorrow I have a very very EAP drive from San clemente to deep San Diego almost Mexico that it's always worked really well on. I'll have a better idea of this update tomorrow evening for everyone.

• Informative x 2
  2. Bijli123

Bijli123 Member

I got this firmware today. FWD sensors don't detect obstacles anymore!

Resetting with the double wheels didn't do anything.

Need to get it checked!

• Informative x 1
  3. Pwdr Extreme

Pwdr Extreme Member

I'm not a software engineer, so perhaps I just don't understand, however I can't wrap my mind around why every update seems to fix one problem yet create others? Can't they keep the existing lines of code that are working and simply add or change the sections that aren't?

Do they have to start completely from scratch (so to speak) every time?

I'm currently on revision 2017.32.6 ca28227 and I hate it!!! The previous version was MUCH better! This new one slows down ridiculously in corners, constantly slows down for cars in the other lane, dives off at exits / breaks in the lines, and wanders in the lane.
    In my opinion this was a pretty big step backward and not forward. Other people have reported just the opposite which REALLY confuses me, why wouldn't essentially the same cars with the same software react the same way? Is there a physical hardware difference between cars that we don't know about causing this? ie: did they change brands of cameras / sensors? Is it a slightly different video processor? Who knows, but it just doesn't make sense why all of our cars seem to have such varied results...

• Informative x 2
    • Love x 2
  4. Bijli123

Bijli123 Member

I am really really good at software.

And I find this appalling. Companies have better quality control for software that they put out for adding filters to your photos. I find this lack of quality for something as critical as a moving multi ton object - very scary.

I would attribute this to two things:
    1. Lack of good talent.
    2. Company's tendency to chase funky features - which wastes time. E.g. recent tweet about adding Dashcam. I would rather have absence of issues like these. Sometimes I wish they had put normal SUV doors and normal windshield. I love the car for the electric drive train. Hate it for such weird distractions. I can see the value of FWD if they work perfect - how there is a big *if* there and right now they are a pain in the butt.

5. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

What we know about typical software engineering doesn't really apply to AI.

With traditional programming, it's very specific code and bugs can be identified very precisely.

With AI, there is a lot more hand-waving going on and there are no absolutes. There are many weighted pathways and changing those individual weights can cause all sorts of new issues. Initially, the weights are not optimized and the system requires lots and lots of learning before they work pretty well. And even then, it's not always 100%.

This is a new paradigm.

• Like x 1
  6. moscard

moscard Member

I also received thi update yesterday. First test : I agrre what is said before:
    Autosteer -> A little bit better than previous version
    TACC -> worse. It brakes for false things more than previous version.
    In addition to that I had some issue with GPS it seems to lose the position on highway, making the car to brake (slow down) to 80 or even 50 km/h

A good point however: Auto High Beam finaly apeared in Switzerland, but not tested yet.

7. Bijli123

Bijli123 Member

However, hope that FWD isn't powered by AI.

I do not even care about the autonomous features. I have done software for enough that I wouldn't try it to drive me. I can use it as a warning system and maybe a driving aid in some situations. But not more than that, at least for now.

8. Doctt

Doctt Member

I am confused too. My experience is completely opposite. I use it at least 100 miles a day on freeway and absolutely love it.

I don't doubt your feedback but it makes no sense for such a big difference

Is yours AP1 or AP2? Did U experience the issues on hwy or local street?

9. Pwdr Extreme

Pwdr Extreme Member

AP2, car delivered Dec 20, 2016 EAP with FSD option.
    I'm comparing it to the previous performance on the same interstate and secondary roads that I travel everyday. I've been so unhappy with in town performance all along that I don't use it. (constantly takes turning lanes it shouldn't, weaves erratically crossing intersections, painfully slow acceleration from a stop, to the point I usually get honked at and aggressively approaching stopped vehicles then slamming on the brakes)

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  10. rush6410

rush6410 Member

A couple improvements that I have noticed could be interpreted as steps backwards. The introduction of the car slowing down at turns automatically to me is an improvement in how the car is trying to adjust more to the scenario it is experiencing. You have to watch closely to understand the behavior. Before my X would power through corners regardless of the angle of radius or awareness of quality of road conditions. I have a road that approaches my neighborhood with two very tight but consistent left and right corners. Through the curves the lines are inconsistently visible due to intersections or wear in the road. In previous versions my X would power through the corners at a 80% success rate without slowing down. But, it constantly had problems with poor road conditions. With the new release, I noticed the vehicle is constantly evaluating the corner and quality and visible of the lane recognition. When the X approaches a part of the curve with poor lines or intersection, it will slowdown enough to validate the accuracy of driving lane. If I have a quality driving lane, the X drives at normal speed through the corner. I see this as a massive step towards improvement. This tells me that the car is becoming more aware of the driving conditions. But, I also can see where this could be interpreted as a step backwards if your only evaluation is reactionary vs. anecdotal.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  11. Pwdr Extreme

Pwdr Extreme Member

My experience with slowing down too much is a corner on the interstate. I can navigate the corner at 80mph in my pickup without any problem. (75 speed limit). It does have signs posted suggesting 65 mph. Usually the car would slow to 67-68 which was an annoyance but I lived with it. After the update it slows to 53mph which I feel is a tad ridiculous.

For reference the lines are perfectly visible and this is a corner I pull my 40' 5th wheel around at 65mph. There is absolutely no reason for the Tesla to slow to 53mph.

12. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

There's a joke about that (sadly the joke itself is buggy as well, but I just cannot find a better version, that does implement the loop correctly):
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 1
  13. rush6410

rush6410 Member

One annoying problem that wasn't improved was APs inability to mitigate double lines, yellow or white. It still oscillates between the two causing that side of the lane maker to not be recognized. We have HOV lanes separated by double white lines. I can't use AP in the fast lane next to the HOV lane because of this issue. I wouldn't think that would be difficult to resolve; follow the inner most line and ignore the second.

14. Sawyer8888

Sawyer8888 Member

AP2 - Today I attempted using EAP with this new software version on a divided side road that I don't normally travel. The car made a quick move into a turning lane in the median and then pulled itself back into the correct travel lane. Yikes.

I look forward to the day when things work as advertised. In the meantime, getting those software update messages has lost its luster.

• Like x 1
  15. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Can anyone else confirm this? If true, that's a major regression in need of an immediate patch.

EDIT: This other thread seems to confirm. Please, everyone experiencing this issue email [email protected] or send a bug report from the car.

16. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

TL,DR: I just tried this release in our cramped garage and our FWD are still detecting obstacles, so it's not a complete regression.

Our Model X got this update yesterday and I just tried opening the falcon wings in our garage, which has just barely enough room to open all the way but the doors normally won't, even with "always open fully at this location" set.

One door opens more than usual, but still stops short of full open as it detects a beam nearby. The other door barely opens like normal, even though it can open all the way there if I hold the switch to override, just barely enough room.

So, I'd say maybe the sensitivity was dialed down a little in this release, but cannot confirm they don't detect obstacles anymore - because they are still detecting obstacles in our garage (still, frustratingly so - "always open fully" should always open fully!!).

• Like x 1
  17. Tjhappel

Tjhappel Member

So second day of testing on what I would cal a very friendly Eap road, san clemente to deep oceanside off the 76 then return to i5 south to national city then back home 805 to i5 home.

I really don't know what they upgraded or updated.. I had two very very bad tacc moments, I drive 200 miles a day and will not be using tacc for the time being. Eap worked ok but similar or worse than the last iteration, I'm not sure why tacc works better in conjunction with Eap but it seems to.

Carpool lanes are still awful which totally baffles me since a majority of owners in California use carpool stickers to commute to work and you'd think logically they'd want that fixed so everyone can use it happily but alas it's still terrible anytime there's quad white lines or multiple yellow lines.

I don't really use Eap on "local highways" but on the 76 today the behavior was close to before, it doesn't seem to see stopped cars far out enough so I just disengage it so as to not use the brakes.

I really hope we get ap2 working like ap1 soon... been a rough 8 months for sure.

18. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

I am just curious on the quality of AP1 driving on the same stretches of car pool lanes you are referring to?

19. Bijli123

Bijli123 Member

I reported it to the service. They are probably looking into it.

The issue happened yesterday night. There were no obstacle indicators on any of the doors - so essentially they were not detecting anything.

Starting today it has been working fine. However I worry that when this happens next time, it might bump a car parked next.

I am surprised that unrelated things like these keep breaking :(

20. Tjhappel

Tjhappel Member

Ap1 handily beats my car in ALL carpool situations and always on freeway turns where cars in another lane are going slower, AP2 updates will see a car that's not in my lane and slow down for the turn. Kinda need its learning to do that but it's also really annoying sometimes.

I don't use it for city street driving, 200 miles plus every day on freeway. I used to really "try" to always leave AP on and put up with it but it's getting so erratic with what it does it's hard to even want to use it. I'd say that's the biggest difference between ap1 and 2 for me. Ap1 always had known issue spots for me, AP2 changes daily on the same road under exact samee circumstance. It jumped me out of my lane today at 75 mph for no reason and then slammed me back into it.... I reported the bug and resumed drivong myself.

• Informative x 2