Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.32.6 ca28227

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a while before, you couldn't put the car in Tow Mode. It would go in, and then switch back off.

You could get it turned on it is just that you had to tap the off button to turn it on. (Most people wouldn't even try that.) If you tapped the on button the UI showed it on for a second but didn't actually do anything before reverting to off.

I have a problem with AP that I think was introduced with this release but I'm not absolutely sure it was not present earlier: When the road turns, the car does not stay centered but rather hugs the inside lane, sometimes even crossing the lane marking. The strange thing is that the car seems aware of the misalignment because the center display also renders the car as being close to the inside lane. On multiple occasions I had to take over when I got dangerously close to adjacent cars.
Same with mine. They overdid the adjustment, it cuts the bend to much now. Had troubles drifting outwards before. Glad they tried to fix that weakness.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Oh how I would love to see what their dev environment looks like. I wonder what type of QA automation they have setup.
They do simulated unit testing with a car-simulator where you plug in your updated sw module in it and the simulated car pretends it's the real thing - mentioned by somebody on the forums who used to be on QA team when we asserted Tesla does no testing ;)

Apparently they were not doing any integration testing on real cars back then (or that person did not know about it or just did not want to mention it).

They also have a lot of employees driving around in Teslas - you would have to think they get a lot of data from these cars/owners and I would also believe that many of these are driving around with pre-release firmware. My thinking is that they simply do not have enough resources in the testing side (especially regression testing) to get the quality high enough.

They do simulated unit testing with a car-simulator where you plug in your updated sw module in it and the simulated car pretends it's the real thing - mentioned by somebody on the forums who used to be on QA team when we asserted Tesla does no testing ;)

Apparently they were not doing any integration testing on real cars back then (or that person did not know about it or just did not want to mention it).

They also have a lot of employees driving around in Teslas - you would have to think they get a lot of data from these cars/owners and I would also believe that many of these are driving around with pre-release firmware. My thinking is that they simply do not have enough resources in the testing side (especially regression testing) to get the quality high enough.
Must be why they dropped the early access program too, too little interest, nobody wants to do testing for them. ;)

(yet, it is a joke).

I have a problem with AP that I think was introduced with this release but I'm not absolutely sure it was not present earlier: When the road turns, the car does not stay centered but rather hugs the inside lane, sometimes even crossing the lane marking. The strange thing is that the car seems aware of the misalignment because the center display also renders the car as being close to the inside lane. On multiple occasions I had to take over when I got dangerously close to adjacent cars.

I have always had this issue both with the inside and outside lane and had to take over each time. I installed this update on Tuesday but had to travel out of town immediately. Today was the first day with the update and I think it behaved much better than it used too previously. I know one day is too early to give a thumps up but there is a turn which I have to make daily and I have been reducing speeds every day to come to a 'right' speed. My most recent 'reduced' speed was around 40 mile per hour (which was still not good since the car would still cross over) but this morning I think I was at 60 and it did an awesome job. I will, next week, post more on this once I have driven over the same turn 3-4 additional times.

Holy Moly... just updated, decided to try it out for a few minutes on the freeway, and it threw the car into the other lane out of nowhere almost causing me to hit the car. I think I will upload this footage... I've loved AP2 all this time, except the most recent 2 updates. I trusted the car, now I don't. Grr

• Informative
Reactions: outie and Matias
I like to reboot (holding down both steering wheel thumb-wheels for 10 seconds) when stuff like that happens. Hoping that the thumbwheel ridges don't permanently change the fingerprints on my thumbs. ;)

To follow-up on this issue: I restated both consoles, but that didn't fix the mirrors. I've been been too busy to call for a service appointment (and no one picked up at two different service centers when I did try to call), but I got a notice about a firmware update today, and after installing v8.1 (2017.34 2448cfc) the mirrors started working again. Yay!