Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was previously on 17.34. So I can’t say how it performs to 17.38 but steering and braking are a noticeable approvement.

My commute is from Squamish to Vancouver, BC. Which is a very windy, mountainous 70km highway. I still have to take over from time to time but I’m gaining confidence in most situations and can see me being able to do it without intervention in the near future. Assuming 6week updates keep the same pace.

My autopilot is noticeably better, doesn’t dive off at exits on the interstate near as bad, doesn’t weave back and forth around corners as bad, lane changes are better. What’s really annoying is it now tells me to hold the wheel every 1.3 miles, used to be 1.6. I’d really like to see that start to be a dynamic number. A couple of updates ago I was able to go over 3 miles, but that only happened a couple of times. Around town is better, but still no where’s close to trusting it. It generally will take the turning lane at intersections, etc. On highway performance is getting much closer to AP1 in my opinion.

Oh, and love the automatic wipers!

Kidding....... Anybody else wondered why on earth the Highbeams brighten slowly when they turn on? How silly is that? When I switch to high beams it’s because I want to see further, not gradually watch the road brighten like a stupid parlor trick. Obviously LED’s are near instant on / off, so really no reason other than to “look cool”... Frustrating.

Oh, and love the automatic wipers!

Kidding....... Anybody else wondered why on earth the Highbeams brighten slowly when they turn on? How silly is that? When I switch to high beams it’s because I want to see further, not gradually watch the road brighten like a stupid parlor trick. Obviously LED’s are near instant on / off, so really no reason other than to “look cool”... Frustrating.

For me the highbeams brighten slowly only in automatic mode. In manual mode there is also a slight fade-in, but very much faster.

And yes, given that they turn off without fade, it certainly makes for an interesting experience to drive in the dark with occasional cars coming the other way when it fades, blinks and then also turns on cornering lights for good measure. :)

That said, in some ways this is the future. Smart LED matrix lights are making their way into many cars, Tesla is pretty dumb so far, others are even more wild, but also have useful tricks like highlighting passengers seen by their computer vision system.

But yeah, that Tesla fade-in seems pretty much only a "cool" trick...

Around town is better, but still no where’s close to trusting it. It generally will take the turning lane at intersections, etc.
AP is not meant for use on city streets with cross traffic. Please do not use it in that environment. Please.

Quote from the Tesla Owners Manual, page 84:

Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding tra c. Do not use Autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause serious property damage, injury or death.

Last edited:
ditto ditto...
BUT, I also felt like the wheel would 'give' a little before disengaging.
Unless it's my imagination as well, I thought that there was a difference between 34 and 40 in that the steering wheel feels very stiff until it disengages. In 40, the steering wheel seems to allow some 'encouragement' to put the car just a sliver to the left or right based on driver input. And, when I do this, I seem to feel the wheel rotation soften a little and allow the car to adjust within the lane. Obviously if you push it even more, it disengages.

Anyone tested AP performance on this firmware yet? Any better at detecting vehicles parked on Traffic while u approach it hot at 55+mph?
I got this update and have given it a through workout already and I have come off version .36 for comparison.

On an urban winding road 50km/h that I test it every release to see if it can cope with extreme circumstances it has gotten less confident, aborting multiple times despite very clear lane markings. I video this stretch just as a worst case scenario test on every release. See:

On urban roads in a straight line it has gotten significantly more confident without veering off when coming to intersections, staying the line consistently across the intersections. There appears to be some tweaking of the congestion behaviour as well with slightly smoother braking when coming to cars that have slowed down. The take off is slightly faster but still glacially slow if the car in front moves off quickly. It is much more prone to being cautious though meaning just about any nearby car that looks like it might be in the lane ahead makes the car slow down which is very annoying.

On a big open freeway I have noticed a dramatic improvement on curves - the most noticeable is that instead of there being multiple continuous corrections to the steering wheel during a curve, it is far less nervous with a lot less corrections; still more than a human but it is a lot less annoying when holding onto the steering wheel and probably would affect passengers less (I haven't had any to confirm this.) The lane change is the smoothest I've experienced, with a confident sweep into the next lane without steering corrections even when done on curves. I tried a few lane changes when the gap between cars was tight but one I would have done myself previously and it confidently snuck into the gap and slowed down safely.

I have not tried it on a single lane open highway with tighter curves.

The steering wheel behaviour has also changed. It is now very easy to override the autosteer. As I hold the steering wheel firmly when in urban areas with traffic because of low trust in AP, it disengages very easily when I hold what I feel is a safe line without feeling the extra resistance I normally feel where you have to forcefully overrride it.

So a few negatives - the urban curve failures have increased and the phantom slow downs for cars that aren't really in front, but a few more positives. Considering the manual clearly stipulates that EAP should only be used on highways then I think this one is a clear improvement in the right direction.

My first impression is that AP is improved over 2017.38, lane keeping I can't really feel much of a difference, but the behavior round exit ramps and on ramps is noticeably better for me. I drive the same stretch of highway to and from work every day in AP, one exit has some jacked up markings due to prior construction and it always would try to veer off to the exit rather than keep the lane, now not even a wiggle. The second exit it would not take the exit but would always wobble in the lane (most likely indicating some kinda drunk to the people behind), again, not even a wiggle... surface streets are also improved slightly but not enough to get excited about.

Considering the manual clearly stipulates that EAP should only be used on highways then I think this one is a clear improvement in the right direction.
The manual is outdated -- it's a go to deflection for the apologists. Please don't perpetuate the apologist lie that EAP is not for local road use.

The release notes made clear MONTHS AGO that EAP is intended and enabled for use on local roads. Don't let Tesla off the hook for shitty software because some apologist cites an old manual. That the manual is not updated with the release notes is just another example of Tesla's lack of appreciation to detail (at best) and its willingness to deceive (at worst -- see sneaky AEB behavior).

The manual is outdated -- it's a go to deflection for the apologists. Please don't perpetuate the apologist lie that EAP is not for local road use.

The release notes made clear MONTHS AGO that EAP is intended and enabled for use on local roads. Don't let Tesla off the hook for shitty software because some apologist cites an old manual. That the manual is not updated with the release notes is just another example of Tesla's lack of appreciation to detail (at best) and its willingness to deceive (at worst -- see sneaky AEB behavior).
I am happy that AP is enabled for EAP use (unlike other cars) but to say EAP is "intended" for use on local roads is a stretch. Until AP can honor stop signs and red/yellow/green lights it's usability for local roads is and will be pretty limited. And, I think those things needed for local roads will be part of the FSD feature set. Pretty sure the EAP feature where you actually buy it talks about on ramp to off ramp. It does not mention load road traffic signs.

Reactions: Turing