Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am happy that AP is enabled for EAP use (unlike other cars) but to say EAP is "intended" for use on local roads is a stretch. Until AP can honor stop signs and red/yellow/green lights it's usability for local roads is and will be pretty limited. And, I think those things needed for local roads will be part of the FSD feature set. Pretty sure the EAP feature where you actually buy it talks about on ramp to off ramp. It does not mention load road traffic signs.
That is some sweet rumination that has nothing to do with the fact that EAP is explicitly enabled BY TESLA for local roads, which the duplicitous and/or ignorant posters upthread were disputing.

I think you should bring up your valid concerns with @JonMc

@vandacca

Hi! I know February was a long time ago to remember.

Since then, the limit cap has been removed. As you would know if you had an EAP car and/or were not a liar.
Firstly, I don't believe that the limit cap was technically "removed". It may have been impossible to impose the limit cap when Tesla switched their speed-limit data provider, due to lack of data. The limit did fluctuate a lot over the past few months, and it seems to have been mostly re-instated, with still some spots where no limits are imposed.

Secondly, the manual has always stated that "Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads...". Any reasonably intelligent person would understand that AutoPilot is severely inadequate on local roads, not able to identify stop lights and stop signs among other things. It should be used with extreme caution or not at all.

And just because Tesla allows it, it doesn't mean Tesla condones it. In the beginning, Tesla allowed AutoPilot to continue after drivers jumped into the passenger seat. Thank's to our stupidity, Tesla has had to add "steering-wheel nags" (with AutoPilot becoming disabled until parked) and have the vehicle slow down and put itself into Park when the driver's seat doesn't sense the driver.

Let's not make Tesla disable AutoPilot on local roads too...

Reactions: arcus
I've noticed with this update that when on AP, the car has crossed over into another lane multiple times on slight curves on the freeway, even with clearly marked lines on the road. I had to disengage autosteer each time to get it back into my lane. Luckily there weren't other cars in the lane at that time. Has anyone else noticed this? It was pretty solid on the same freeway on previous updates.

I just received the update last night, came from .38. I drove about 175 miles today on ap almostall highway and used ap extensively.

I can say that going north on i5 from San Clemente I’ve basically given up using it in the carpool lane from crown valley all the way to the 55. Today was the first time ever I didn’t have to disengage it due to crazy swerving back and forth or other issues we all know about that happen specifically in the carpool lane. I was very very impressed with it today and tomorrow I drive the 405 past lax so I’ll get a better idea if it’s carpool lane issue is fixed.

The biggest improvement was when the lane widened, it didn’t slam to one side or swerve so hard back and forth. Of course there was still some of that, not quite as good as ap1 in carpool but super super damn close. With this update I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with ap2. When they get the other cameras going it’s going to be badass. I just hope it’s sooner than later!!

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Need some help. I haven't received an update since 17.34. I have noticed that all Xs all builds are receiving 17.40. Are there any tips on speeding up the process to receive. I have always connected checked and energy savings off. I also am connected via wifi. These conditions have always worked for early updates. I travel with dogs and would like the new feature to leave AC on when leaving the vehicle.

Need some help. I haven't received an update since 17.34. I have noticed that all Xs all builds are receiving 17.40. Are there any tips on speeding up the process to receive. I have always connected checked and energy savings off. I also am connected via wifi. These conditions have always worked for early updates. I travel with dogs and would like the new feature to leave AC on when leaving the vehicle.
There's no way beyond what you're already doing. The only way to force an update is to find an excuse to get the service centre to update it for you.

Not the only one. Our X is still on 17.34. Our S just got 17.40 this AM.

Wonder if our Tesla's limited AI can feel jealousy?

Wow, about 10,000 cars are on 2017.40.1! They got it in the past two days.

Here's why: ev-fw.com reports that 651 cars got 2017.34. That appeared to be rolled out to everyone at a time when there were no other substantial firmware releases out there. So, that 651 represents all of the 200,000 Teslas in the world, and each car/install on ev-fw represents 300 actual cars (200,000÷651). According to ev-fw there are presently 28 cars on 2017.40.1. Therefore, 10,000 (28 x 300) cars are on 2017.40.1.

Evidently 0.3 percent of the owners (1÷300) are us fanatics who post our firmware updates to ev-fw.

If you, like me, are still on 2017.34, don't feel too bad, we have lots of company ... about 100,000. About 66,000 are on 2017.36, and about 33,000 are on 2017.38.

Am I in the ballpark or am I losing my mind? Please don't nitpick.
Certainly a reasonable estimate but even last week I was in a car that had software older than 2017.34 (it was .28) so the 651 is probably an underestimation.

Reactions: don123
I am still on 17.32.

The reboot has always been called a red herring but it can’t hurt. :D

Yeah I know, in the Swedish forum, there is a lot of talk about having six bananas in the frunk and all four wheels pointing towards Freemont to get updates faster.

But now twice since I got the car, I've had the car not willing to sleep during large rollouts of updates, where I thought it strange that I didn't get any notifications. Did a reboot, and within an hour, the notification popped up.

This is of course not a meaningful data set in any way, but it takes 45 seconds, so I usually give it a go if the bananas in the frunk thing doesn't work out.

The biggest noticeable improvement for me is that it seems to favor the left line marker over the right now. This is good and bad for me. For areas there there is a temporary lane widening, it doesn't dive to the right and then back again. That's definitely a good improvement.

I am no longer as impacted by those situations where a pitch/tar road repair in the middle of the lane causes the car to swerve, thinking it's a lane line. There's definitely been improvement here over time.

However, I've found now that when driving in the right lane on a local road where there is a line on the left and curb on the right (with no line) that it stays very close to the left side. Too close for comfort to the cars in the left lane beside me. This has seriously impeded my ability to use autosteer on local roads while I'm in the right lane.

I do think that overall, going through intersections has definitely been improved over time.

Reactions: Duckjybe
The biggest noticeable improvement for me is that it seems to favor the left line marker over the right now. This is good and bad for me. For areas there there is a temporary lane widening, it doesn't dive to the right and then back again. That's definitely a good improvement.

I am no longer as impacted by those situations where a pitch/tar road repair in the middle of the lane causes the car to swerve, thinking it's a lane line. There's definitely been improvement here over time.

However, I've found now that when driving in the right lane on a local road where there is a line on the left and curb on the right (with no line) that it stays very close to the left side. Too close for comfort to the cars in the left lane beside me. This has seriously impeded my ability to use autosteer on local roads while I'm in the right lane.

I do think that overall, going through intersections has definitely been improved over time.
Really? I find the opposite! 17.38 and 17.38.4 were left side huggers, and 17.40.1 is more in the middle. WTF now... :D

• Informative
Reactions: bsf29 and rpm001
Really? I find the opposite! 17.38 and 17.38.4 were left side huggers, and 17.40.1 is more in the middle. WTF now... :D

Hahah - very interesting that we all have different experiences! Mine has always been very well centered until this release. I guess what I'm noticing is it seems to be giving more bias to strongly defined lines and less bias to what might not be real lane lines.