Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.44 - Whats in it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didnt discuss chill mode but made a quick video for Easy Entry. Chill mode seems intended purely for lack of instant torque not necessarily efficiency, older people or people who do not like the instant torque (there are a few) nothing really special except that its not speed limited like Valet Mode.

Reactions: croman
Actually, I am looking forward to chill mode. With a little one on the way, I was actually getting a bit concerned about my uncorked car and it is harder than you realize not to enjoy the acceleration of the car. Its no P100D but it has some concussive potential if you are a passenger caught unaware (or lacking in neck muscle development). The uncorked 75D has a lot more power than I'm used to and its a lot more willing to go past 200kw than corked.

I try to feather but its so easy with the uncork to get more than with the cork. Perhaps I will just get used to it but chill mode allows me to selectively put the cork back (and then some apparently).

Easy entry/exit is less useful as I already keep the steering wheel as far away as it will go. My wife and I are both over 6 feet so she basically just uses my profile anyways (she never even set hers to her keyfob). She does prefer to keep the wheel a bit closer to her as her arms are a lot shorter than mine but she's also very thin.

I really don’t understand chill mode. Is there anyone that can’t accelerate smoothly without chill mode? Smooth mode is necessary to achieve this? Really?
I'm with you! One of the best feelings of driving a tesla is the throttle fit and feel as any performance car. It feels big and has good tension. I think what may get the masses compared to a high performance car is how instant the Tesla is. In an SS, Hellcat, ect, the motor must spin up, gears need to shift ect and then you get movement. Also there is a very small delay in any new ICE car due to the fact, no direct linkage from pedal to throttle body. So, mashing down on ICE gives you a second to think if you want to accelerate that much before the car moves. Tesla is all about NOW! Like everyone else, I'll give it a try. To me the real concern is when you're on the road and you feel you need the power to maneuver, it's too late to switch to controls, select standard and then accelerate.

I was thinking it was just a change in pedal mapping, but as described by others, it's not. It's a mode that reduces jerk by gradually applying the change in power.

I think chill is simply a reduction of horsepower. Just like Valet (but perhaps not as extreme)... but chill would NOT limit top speed or lock the glove box or frunk opening like Valet mode would do.

Great for new drivers or older drivers.

Also do hope they did not allow full throttle to override chill. It is already a fast enough car that it really isn't needed for safety, faster than most on the road. I feel that the bigger safety issue is over applying throttle and running into something. I want my kiddo to think defensively when driving.

Can't wait to see real performance tests once someone has the time. How it compares to a S60 for example or a "corked" S75.

The firmware is only on 9 teslafi.com monitored cars... so it isn't something they are pushing quickly.

I am wondering if cars with LUDICROUS will have 3 modes.... CHILL, SPORT and LUDICROUS ?
In the past there was a kind of hidden feature called PERFORMANCE that did / does allow you to change the personality and performance profile of the S. This was implemented to allow, for instance a P90D to act and perform like the 60D, 75D, and 90D or the rarer rear motor only variants of those models. In so doing, Tesla sales folks could have a P90D demo car perform like any of the other S cars. I recall putting my P90D into 60 mode with just the rear motor. Sure enough, the S really did feel different and did perform quite a bit tamer for sure.

I am not sure if the PERFORMANCE mode still exists? You would be able to invoke it by typing PERFORMANCE in the password area of the Tesla main menu as if you were going into service mode.

Actually, I am looking forward to chill mode. With a little one on the way, I was actually getting a bit concerned about my uncorked car and it is harder than you realize not to enjoy the acceleration of the car. Its no P100D but it has some concussive potential if you are a passenger caught unaware (or lacking in neck muscle development). The uncorked 75D has a lot more power than I'm used to and its a lot more willing to go past 200kw than corked.

I try to feather but its so easy with the uncork to get more than with the cork. Perhaps I will just get used to it but chill mode allows me to selectively put the cork back (and then some apparently).

Easy entry/exit is less useful as I already keep the steering wheel as far away as it will go. My wife and I are both over 6 feet so she basically just uses my profile anyways (she never even set hers to her keyfob). She does prefer to keep the wheel a bit closer to her as her arms are a lot shorter than mine but she's also very thin.
Nice when driving on snow and ice...

Reactions: Joe F and croman