Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.46 3387a54 is out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The basic premise is to start with an Elon tweet, TMC thread, or Tesla rumor and re-state it as a 500 word article with a heavy pro-Tesla bias to sell ads.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I think there is some concensus amongst some of us that Electrek has an overly positive Tesla slant to its reporting. After all, TSLA ticker used to be proudly displayed there as well and they have often been very slow to pick up on negative Tesla topics. Maybe @BinaryField refers to that?

They do have a positive take on Tesla (or likely to be consistent with Tesla PR's interpretation of something), but so do sites like MacRumors or 9to5Mac when reporting on Apple stuff.

I guess it might be more critical that Electrek's mission statement is meant to cater to the whole EV/green community and not just Tesla in particular…

Nonetheless, Electrek does have a lot of good original reporting (e.g. Fred's sources on upcoming Tesla features seem spot-on. Version 8.0's UI design was spot-on, and they've always had at least a week's prior notice for new features before they start rolling out). It's also worth remembering that not everyone stalks Elon and friends on Twitter. One person's reblogging is another person's news roundup.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
They do have a positive take on Tesla (or likely to be consistent with Tesla PR's interpretation of something), but so do sites like MacRumors or 9to5Mac when reporting on Apple stuff.

Aren't those Fred's other sites? He's just a Tesla mouthpiece and frequently edits his articles afterwards when Tesla objects to certain uses (like when he noted that Tesla was hyping Autopilot, hype was was edited out later after Tesla yelled at him). Bottom line: Tesla is so controlling with information that any of Fred's "scoops" are just deliberately leaked positive news to counter or smear actual negative news.

As far as firmware updates, I get most of them but nothing beyond .42 is that great. We need a real update and fast.

I guess it might be more critical that Electrek's mission statement is meant to cater to the whole EV/green community and not just Tesla in particular…

This is my biggest beef and frankly where I think they lose a lot of credibility. I can look past the "Elon tweets the word 'maybe' " articles and other overhyped fandom, but for a site that claims to be in support of the EV movement in general they can range from dismissive to downright negative about almost any non-Tesla EV news or developments.

Moderator - allow me to be sneak in this comment

they can range from dismissive to downright negative about almost any non-Tesla EV news or developments

Fred is right to be dismissive, because every EV out there and every EV announcement out there is junk.

I end up visiting Electrek several times a week, through twitter or other links, more than all other news sites combined.

Moderator - allow me to be sneak in this comment

Fred is right to be dismissive, because every EV out there and every EV announcement out there is junk.

I end up visiting Electrek several times a week, through twitter or other links, more than all other news sites combined.

Sounds like you're the perfect candidate for a bias-reinforcing "news site" like Electrek. ;)

Keeping this on topic, I had a ranger out today and he installed 2017.46.8. A quick AP drive didn't offer any immediate improvement or regression from .44.

• Funny
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I had a tire replaced today on my 2017 75D at the SC and they “staged” the .46.8 which I promptly installed upon returning to my office. Using EAP on the 35 mile commute home was incrementally better than .44; however, it should be noted that for me EAP on .44 has been very solid. The update seems to track better... seems more “confident” in that it doesn’t make nearly as many small steering corrections and stays a bit more centered in the lane along stretches where it was previously off by 2-3 ft. The one lane change was more responsive. I’m a huge fan of the easy exit feature as I was using custom driver profiles as a stop gap before. I’ll post an update tomorrow after I log another ~100 miles EAP.

Reactions: 1 person
... yes but will it FSD itself LA to NYC by the end of this month (“by end of 2017”) like I was promised when I bought my 90D last December and paid for FSD?

Promised? Can you point to that "promise"? I think Elon said that they planned/hoped to demo it by the end of the year, but even a few months ago he said that that demo was likely to slip into the beginning of 2018.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman and TaoJones
Promised? Can you point to that "promise"? I think Elon said that they planned/hoped to demo it by the end of the year, but even a few months ago he said that that demo was likely to slip into the beginning of 2018.

You don't get egg on your face if it wasn't a promise that you failed to deliver on.
ElonEgg.gif

Update: After a couple hundred more EAP miles I can say .46 is a significant improvement. Curvy back roads that used to be “hover hands on the wheel” are now solid. Large intersections on a slight curve that failed every time are now solid. The black tar streaks that would cause small steering adjustments were mostly gone on .44 and now they’re totally gone. This improvement is apparent in both dry and raining conditions. I’m impressed.

Am I the only person on the planet that still has 2017.42?? I love the car but really can't stand how long it takes to get updates! My car must have some super ultra rare configuration because it always takes like 2 months for me to get an update.

Reactions: StefanSarzio
Am I the only person on the planet that still has 2017.42?? I love the car but really can't stand how long it takes to get updates! My car must have some super ultra rare configuration because it always takes like 2 months for me to get an update.

No, you have to remember that Tesla doesn't release updates like Apple. Not everyone gets every update.

In looking at ev-fw I can see that 1,149 cars reported getting a 2017.42.x release. Only 239 reported getting .44, 245 getting .46.x, and 85 getting .48.

So my guess is that more than 50% of the people that got .42 are still on .42.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah