Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.48 a774ed8 Is out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The forum needs a dislike icon. I can't say disagree, because I assume you are correct.. but I still dislike what you said. :)

No point in shooting the messenger. As long as his post was accurate he deserves an "informative" or "like" or at least "funny."

I would direct any dislike of the facts elsewhere, not to the OP.

GSP

I got this update today.
I’ve said before and I’ll say again, the updates with no new release notes are the interesting ones. Who knows what devious fixes and features necessitated a new release.
I agree. likely bug fixes, but also possibility for new code/features being tested in 'stealth mode'. e.g. code recently had auto-wiper references Even though we don't have the feature, the code could be being soft tested.

This software did not solve the infuriating Slacker and TuneIn problems.

My guess is this has nothing to do with Tesla, but rather ATT throttling Tesla data. Perhaps with more Tesla’s on the road there’s more congestion and thus more throttling.

The LTE bandwidth test results pretty much confirm this.
C1B895A2-552E-4A04-BFD6-2767639DFCF3.jpeg
7724FD8E-732A-41A3-A624-CAB2E6FD382C.jpeg

I tested it this morning (albeit for only 20 minutes) after the .48 update, and streaming was much better. Fast.com showed 220 Kbps, but I saw it flash 160 and 180 briefly (most were in the 200's). I agree, it's probably on the server/AT&T side, but they may have tweaked something to help (i.e. load the song first, then the album art).

One thing I've noticed about Autopilot (AP1) that has improved...with a caveat

On Friday I traded my 2015 Model S 70D (on .42 softaware) in for a 2015 Model S P90D (on .48 software)

When I did so I found that in stop and go traffic the P90D on the newer software was MUCH better at stopping the car. It's still not perfect like a person who eases off the brake at the last millisecond to eliminate any jarring impact of the stop, but it was still miles better than my 70D was which basically felt like someone just holding a brake pedal down till it came to a full stop with no easing off.

Hope I'm describing this correctly. The caveat of course is that it's a different car, so perhaps my 70D just sucked at stopping gently but both being 2015, I can't see them being much different. I thought for sure it was the software.

Still on 2017.42 (2014 Model S 85) so even with .48 I won't be getting Chill mode. But I'd like Easy Entry so I don't have to manually telescope the steering wheel every time I get in/out. BigNick refers to around the middle and not my height, I'm actually rather short but I still shop at the BIG AND TALL store - never have I seen a BIG OR TALL store.

Got the 2017.48 at SC last week. Here are my thoughts so far....

I love the "Easy Exit" option (I'm 6'7", so it really helps lol) - but it would be much smarter to have it initiate when you unbelt instead of when you put it in park. Every time I have to pick someone up, or drop someone off, it activates even though I'm not getting out. This feature's implementation is as silly as having the mirrors fold in an out every time you open the doors. Brilliant car, but seems some of the features / upgrades is not reviewed by real world users before they are put in use.

Honestly, I don't care about the "Chill" feature - there are so many other minor features / changes I'd like to see implemented first.

So far, I don't notice any improvement to AP2 - I keep hoping for less drop outs, more stable behavior after hitting a rough patch on the road (sometimes it will start to swerve side to side to re-orient itself in the lane after a bump), more info on the screen display (vehicles in the side lanes), less pulling to the left every time I activate it (I don't want to "hug" the left side of the lane), ability to use it in the carpool lane when there is a median close by, anticipating sharper freeway bends better, etc...but it just doesn't seem to be "better" still. I realize I need to be patient, but there is so little communication from Tesla on what we are getting each time. It is a little disheartening when you get an update and now my first thought is "please don't be worse than it is now" instead of "let's go try out all the improvements"

Still, I love the car, and love to drive it - so maybe the addictive qualities are what Tesla count on to keep owners from really raising a huff.

Got the 2017.48 at SC last week. Here are my thoughts so far....

I love the "Easy Exit" option (I'm 6'7", so it really helps lol) - but it would be much smarter to have it initiate when you unbelt instead of when you put it in park. Every time I have to pick someone up, or drop someone off, it activates even though I'm not getting out. This feature's implementation is as silly as having the mirrors fold in an out every time you open the doors. Brilliant car, but seems some of the features / upgrades is not reviewed by real world users before they are put in use.

So it sounds like a rear-passenger leg-squasher. :)

Yeah, I just went from .42 to .48. Easy Entry is awesome... no way around that. It's great! I like Chill Mode, although not all the time. I turn it on, enjoy the ride, and then turn it off, and enjoy the ride. Sometimes you like vanilla, sometimes you like chocolate. I do have to say that Chill Mode makes cruising on Autopilot much more enjoyable.

New learning, not sure how long it has been in place...

If I keep my foot lightly on the accelerator pedal with AP is on... TACC will eventually stop controlling the car speed and it will default to how far I am pressing the pedal. So the speed may be lower than the setting of the TACC. If I then release the pedal, the car will speed up to TACC controlled speed.

Has this always been the case?

New learning, not sure how long it has been in place...

If I keep my foot lightly on the accelerator pedal with AP is on... TACC will eventually stop controlling the car speed and it will default to how far I am pressing the pedal. So the speed may be lower than the setting of the TACC. If I then release the pedal, the car will speed up to TACC controlled speed.

Has this always been the case?

It's been the way that it's worked for a while. TACC and especially Autosteer can maintain larger distances if it's watching a car to your front corners, or if it's on a curvy road where the map tiles say to slow down, or right after a car in front of you suddenly speeds up. Tapping the go pedal seems to be the override that causes TACC to "snap out of it" and aggressively get back to the set speed. I use that trick all the time for city driving. When the car starts nudging forward and I agree that it's time to get goin', I tap the accelerator and the car takes off like a rocket back to the set speed. Let it go unattended and it very slowly builds up speed.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
me too

I really want easy entry. How come so slow? Can we request that a later version be pushed to us?
I tried easy entry (rather, easy exit is what I wanted to like) and wasn't quite impressed. The seat moves slowly, AND THEN, the streering lifts up. They don't run in parallel. It is too slow in my opinion to be bothersome. On my 2007 BMW 5-series, the easy-entry was quick and the seat&steering moved simultaneously. Hopefully Tesla will fix that "soon".

I tried easy entry (rather, easy exit is what I wanted to like) and wasn't quite impressed. The seat moves slowly, AND THEN, the streering lifts up. They don't run in parallel. It is too slow in my opinion to be bothersome. On my 2007 BMW 5-series, the easy-entry was quick and the seat&steering moved simultaneously. Hopefully Tesla will fix that "soon".

In the videos I have seen the seat and steering do move at the same time. Just only in one direction at a time. (So the seat moves back while the steering wheel pulls in, and then the steering wheel moves up.)

I have had several makes of vehicles with this feature. Lexus, Ford, Lincoln, and Buick. I don't find the Tesla to be any different or lower quality than those brands. I'm not sure how it compares to BMW.

Yeah, I just went from .42 to .48. Easy Entry is awesome... no way around that. It's great! I like Chill Mode, although not all the time. I turn it on, enjoy the ride, and then turn it off, and enjoy the ride. Sometimes you like vanilla, sometimes you like chocolate. I do have to say that Chill Mode makes cruising on Autopilot much more enjoyable.

Why would it be any different? Can you clarify?

Yeah, what he said.

Much more enjoyable AP? I’m in. Do tell, do tell :).

Yeah, what he said.

Much more enjoyable AP? I’m in. Do tell, do tell :).

The biggest difference is if you have a slow guy in front of you, and they change lanes, the Autopilot would FLOOR it to get back up to speed. No need to blow up to 250kw just to get back up to speed. It was pretty unnatural. It's much smoother and more natural feeling with Chill mode on. It also seems to slow down a little more gradually now, not quite as extreme while in stop and go traffic. Just smoother and more chill. Changing lanes is also a difference. When changing lanes into an open lane, the thing would again, floor it to get up to speed. No need to... I am finding that when I engage Autopilot, I prefer Chill, but if I'm driving, take me back to normal.

The biggest difference is if you have a slow guy in front of you, and they change lanes, the Autopilot would FLOOR it to get back up to speed. No need to blow up to 250kw just to get back up to speed. It was pretty unnatural. It's much smoother and more natural feeling with Chill mode on. It also seems to slow down a little more gradually now, not quite as extreme while in stop and go traffic. Just smoother and more chill. Changing lanes is also a difference. When changing lanes into an open lane, the thing would again, floor it to get up to speed. No need to... I am finding that when I engage Autopilot, I prefer Chill, but if I'm driving, take me back to normal.

Thanks.

Less extreme in stop and go would be very nice indeed (especially since with AP2, unlike AP1, one often loses TACC if trying to engage AS at low speed).

I hadn't planned upon using Chill mode but will give it a shot this week to see. Seems if anywhere some chilling is warranted, it would be on the 405. Or 605. Or 110. Or 710. Or on any number of divided surface streets. Lately I've seen better driving in Tijuana then on Crenshaw Blvd.

Harrumph.

I tried easy entry (rather, easy exit is what I wanted to like) and wasn't quite impressed. The seat moves slowly, AND THEN, the streering lifts up. They don't run in parallel.
I dont know if it's AP1 or S problem, but on my X both, the seat and the steering wheel, move at the same time - in parallel - during "easy entry"

The biggest difference is if you have a slow guy in front of you, and they change lanes, the Autopilot would FLOOR it to get back up to speed. No need to blow up to 250kw just to get back up to speed. It was pretty unnatural.

Even on my S75 I can still floor it even more than the AP does. :)

And I like the fact that it get back up to speed quickly. I just which it would do the same after starting from a stand-still. From my point of view that is unnatural.

Tastes differ, so it's good that there is a setting now. :)