Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.48 a774ed8 Is out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, they've been working with me on this. They sent out the 2nd update that eventually failed. They're researching what went wrong. Hopefully this doesn't require a visit to the SC.

It probably will. They can try installing via hardwire connection and monitor what part fails. Apparently, some people with MX had this problem with certain bad door modules or something to that effect.

My update "failed" to install last night as well - but the version # was updated in the end. Not sure if the failure message itself was a bug, or if something is actually wrong. I figure I'll wait till the next update to see if that fails too.

So I was lucky enough to have mobile service bring me my new snow tires and wheels, over 250 miles from the nearest service center. I really wasn't expecting that when I ordered them from Tesla. When done, I asked if I could be upgraded to latest firmware. He did it on the spot through hardwired connection to his laptop. Install seemed to go without problem, but I have now been without self-driving or TACC. I figured the cameras were re-calibrating, but it has now been over 150 miles. Everything else is working fine. Easy entry, etc. Headlights stay on all the time, and auto high-beam is not active (assumed because camera not active), but all other software working as usual.

Should it take this long to re-calibrate, ever? I've never had this happen after any prior update?

So I was lucky enough to have mobile service bring me my new snow tires and wheels, over 250 miles from the nearest service center. I really wasn't expecting that when I ordered them from Tesla. When done, I asked if I could be upgraded to latest firmware. He did it on the spot through hardwired connection to his laptop. Install seemed to go without problem, but I have now been without self-driving or TACC. I figured the cameras were re-calibrating, but it has now been over 150 miles. Everything else is working fine. Easy entry, etc. Headlights stay on all the time, and auto high-beam is not active (assumed because camera not active), but all other software working as usual.

Should it take this long to re-calibrate, ever? I've never had this happen after any prior update?

Yeah, don't hold your breath. My car had to have the AP module and one of the camera modules replaced after the firmware upgrade in order to make TACC/AP work again. Make a service appointment and take it in.

Tin foil hat alert.

So a couple of odd things happened in the past 24 hours, and I was curious to know if anyone else was in the market for a metallic chapeau:

1. Whilst at the SvC yesterday, with mobile access disabled as they are known to do, toward the end of the visit I get a “Software update completed” push notification from the app. An hour later, I had to reactivate mobile access via the touchscreen which is to say it appeared to be off for the duration. Meaning that apparently we still get push notifications with mobile access disabled. Ok fine.

I noticed that there was no alarm clock icon, which implies that they had neither staged, let alone applied (which would have been odd anyway) an update. Further, 2 updates had been applied in the past 10 days - .46 at the SvC and then .48 via LTE. With no sign of .50 in the wild yet.

So I ask - hey, was an update applied, because I got this here message. Normally, y’all just stage those and I apply them later.

They confirmed that yes, they had applied an update. I noted that the version number hadn’t changed (it matches the thread title), and asked if they had simply reapplied the same update (which would have been weird enough, since usually they just say “you’re up to date.”)

Now here’s where it gets truly weird. We’ve been treating these relatively new appended hashes as indicators of unique patches, right? Well... what they said was that the last update was “14” and the update applied now was “44”.

Since those numbers don’t match up with anything recent, I asked them to double check. They confirmed.

So........ what this appears to imply is that the specific build can change behind the scenes and be distributed with the same hash.

Egad. Might explain some of the variable experiences if true. Just seems highly unlikely.

Now for the best part.

About 6 hours later I get a notification that maps have been updated. Well, okay, that’s the 3rd or 4th time I’ve noticed that in 3 years.

Fast forward to now. I just backed into an SC space. Nothing weird there. Except then the charging screen appeared and informed me that the charge port was open.

Cue the Barry White music, folks.

I haven’t reproduced this yet, clearly, as I’m still charging. Geofenced auto-opening charge ports?

Just wanted to illuminate both oddities (different builds being distributed with the same hash - which just seems very odd, not to mention fraught with peril, and the auto-opening of the charge port after entering an SC space), in case anyone else experienced the same.

The latter could be a preparatory step toward Barry White charging, yes?

Either that or maybe my fob got pressed in my pocket and the whole thing is a coincidence. And it’s possible that the SvC folks were mistaken in which case that explains that.

In any case, unless any of this gets reproduced, please note that I did not bring enough tin foil for everybody.

Reactions: Joshnickell
Tin foil hat alert.

So a couple of odd things happened in the past 24 hours, and I was curious to know if anyone else was in the market for a metallic chapeau:

1. Whilst at the SvC yesterday, with mobile access disabled as they are known to do, toward the end of the visit I get a “Software update completed” push notification from the app. An hour later, I had to reactivate mobile access via the touchscreen which is to say it appeared to be off for the duration. Meaning that apparently we still get push notifications with mobile access disabled. Ok fine.

I noticed that there was no alarm clock icon, which implies that they had neither staged, let alone applied (which would have been odd anyway) an update. Further, 2 updates had been applied in the past 10 days - .46 at the SvC and then .48 via LTE. With no sign of .50 in the wild yet.

So I ask - hey, was an update applied, because I got this here message. Normally, y’all just stage those and I apply them later.

They confirmed that yes, they had applied an update. I noted that the version number hadn’t changed (it matches the thread title), and asked if they had simply reapplied the same update (which would have been weird enough, since usually they just say “you’re up to date.”)

Now here’s where it gets truly weird. We’ve been treating these relatively new appended hashes as indicators of unique patches, right? Well... what they said was that the last update was “14” and the update applied now was “44”.

Since those numbers don’t match up with anything recent, I asked them to double check. They confirmed.

So........ what this appears to imply is that the specific build can change behind the scenes and be distributed with the same hash.

Egad. Might explain some of the variable experiences if true. Just seems highly unlikely.

Now for the best part.

About 6 hours later I get a notification that maps have been updated. Well, okay, that’s the 3rd or 4th time I’ve noticed that in 3 years.

Fast forward to now. I just backed into an SC space. Nothing weird there. Except then the charging screen appeared and informed me that the charge port was open.

Cue the Barry White music, folks.

I haven’t reproduced this yet, clearly, as I’m still charging. Geofenced auto-opening charge ports?

Just wanted to illuminate both oddities (different builds being distributed with the same hash - which just seems very odd, not to mention fraught with peril, and the auto-opening of the charge port after entering an SC space), in case anyone else experienced the same.

The latter could be a preparatory step toward Barry White charging, yes?

Either that or maybe my fob got pressed in my pocket and the whole thing is a coincidence. And it’s possible that the SvC folks were mistaken in which case that explains that.

In any case, unless any of this gets reproduced, please note that I did not bring enough tin foil for everybody.

I've had the auto-opening charge port a few times(most recently coming back from Thanksgiving with the .42 update). I don't think that's so much a new thing as much as it's just wildly inconsistent, to the point that it's extremely rare that it actually happens.

Also, can't say what's happening behind the scenes, but at least in theory, the hash should correspond with one particular snapshot of code. The hash is likely a git hash, which would correspond to a single point in time in their codebase. Multiple higher level "versions" can be made on top of a single hash, but the code is exactly the same. Of course, it's always possible that the hash wasn't updated, or that they're changing things outside the code(NN weights?).

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones