Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50.2 3bd9f6d Is out, Easy Entry after belt unbuckle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what does the text about ‘preconditioning will also heat your battery for better driving and charging performance’ mean? Forgetting all the assumptions we made, that could just mean it turns on the battery heater earlier than it did before? Is the only thing new the icon or does it actually turn the battery heat on earlier when it’s colder? If so, pretty much a lot of talk about pretty little....

Obviously everyone thought we had control over it.... arg.... It also says turn it on an hour before you leave. That’s a lot of cabin heat for nothing (as we’ve discussed) when all you need is battery heat.

It means if you turn on the auto climate control and your car is cold enough that it needs the battery heater it'll turn it on with the cabin heater but you cannot control lit individually.

It means if you turn on the auto climate control and your car is cold enough that it needs the battery heater it'll turn it on with the cabin heater but you cannot control lit individually.
Hm, kinda what we thought. Wtf was it doing before? Not heating the battery until you drove away?

I guess it’s an improvement and free if on shore power. Did anyone confirm that it does the same if not plugged in? There was some discussion that it worked only if on shore power.

Hm, kinda what we thought. Wtf was it doing before? Not heating the battery until you drove away?

I guess it’s an improvement and free if on shore power. Did anyone confirm that it does the same if not plugged in? There was some discussion that it worked only if on shore power.

Pretty sure it'll do it as well off of shore power. In the app update they recommended ensuring you were plugged in. It would suck a lot of juice, though.

Reactions: boaterva
Two more backup cam failures today, third one since getting this update. One was a freeze, the other was a grey screen. Looking like I'll have to report an issue.

Plus side, AP was able to take a very poorly marked sharp curve on a local road. Before it would head straight for the guardrail with no signs of turning. No highway driving yet.

I also had the grey cam. Had to soft reset the dash to get it back.

People mention battery preheat in the app, is that apple only? I've an Android, v 3.2.3 app and haven't seen an update, nor any mention of battery pre heat. What version of the app are people who see this using?
3.2.3 should be it for both. It’s definitely the iOS version. The previous one was 3.2.2 which only talked about the 30 minute max preconditioning limit and 2017.46

This one needs 2017.50 as we’ve been discussing and one post said the app notes were the same in both stores when I misquoted something. :)

The app itself doesn’t say anything. It shows the snowflake on top of the battery when it’s under 46F/8C pack temperature (which means the battery heater is running) only when you are running Climate preconditioning to warm the cabin up.

Maybe I'm plain wrong, but don't see the battery preheat in my app, got this firmware and the newest app version, and there's about -6 Celsius outside...
Car also hooked up with power cable, umc.
Anybody else got this?
As discussed above, the battery preheat icon is just informational. You can't touch it to enable it or make any changes. One thing we found is that the battery preheat icon won't show up in the app if you are in the car. We did all sorts of different scenarios yesterday: plugged in, no plugged in, in the car, not in the car, etc. and found after waiting in the car for 20 minutes that it wouldn't show the icon. We got out of the car and the battery preheat icon showed up within seconds of us turning on the heat in the car via the app. We had previously seen the battery preheat icon before getting in the car.
The app itself doesn’t say anything. It shows the snowflake on top of the battery when it’s under 46F/8C pack temperature (which means the battery heater is running) only when you are running Climate preconditioning to warm the cabin up.
We never could get the snowflake to show up even though the battery preheat icon did show up under Climate. It was 15F (-10C) outside but I don't know what the battery temperature was after leaving the car outside all night.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
As discussed above, the battery preheat icon is just informational. You can't touch it to enable it or make any changes. One thing we found is that the battery preheat icon won't show up in the app if you are in the car. We did all sorts of different scenarios yesterday: plugged in, no plugged in, in the car, not in the car, etc. and found after waiting in the car for 20 minutes that it wouldn't show the icon. We got out of the car and the battery preheat icon showed up within seconds of us turning on the heat in the car via the app.
Hm, I guess they are serious about ‘preheat’ then. If you are in the car, it’s not preheating. :D

Hm, I guess they are serious about ‘preheat’ then. If you are in the car, it’s not preheating. :D
lol. Yeah, it was frustrating since we were trying to figure it out. It worked before we got in the car but then we tried enabling it via the app once we were in the car and it never showed back up. After ~20 minutes of waiting, we got back out and tried one more time via the app and it showed up right away. I suppose it might not really be related to our presence in the car but it definitely seemed related and kind of flaky. As I mentioned before, we never saw the snowflake either so it was kind of underwhelming.

When plugged in, we could see the car was heating the battery since it was drawing power but not putting any charge into the battery. You could also hear a hum when outside the car.

Last edited:
The snowflake only shows up when there is a large gap of battery level and usable battery level. Mine was 48/47 but the snowflake didn't show up. I imagine it has to be a few % before it does.
My battery was about 50% as well. Do you mean we have to let it run for a while in order to see the snowflake? I let it run for 30 to 45 minutes total before giving up.

My battery was about 50% as well. Do you mean we have to let it run for a while in order to see the snowflake? I let it run for 30 to 45 minutes total before giving up.

No. The "snowflake" is a hint that you are currently unable to use your battery capacity as charged. Let's say you've charged to 80% but it's so cold Tesla is holding back 10% to make sure your battery doesn't go into a chemical death and instead use that 10% for keeping it warm. You will see a snowflake and only 70% of your battery would be usable.

I'm positing that the gap between where your current state of charge is and the usable % has to be bigger than a few % before you actually see the snowflake.

No. The "snowflake" is a hint that you are currently unable to use your battery capacity as charged. Let's say you've charged to 80% but it's so cold Tesla is holding back 10% to make sure your battery doesn't go into a chemical death and instead use that 10% for keeping it warm. You will see a snowflake and only 70% of your battery would be usable.

I'm positing that the gap between where your current state of charge is and the usable % has to be bigger than a few % before you actually see the snowflake.
Ah, ok. Thanks for the explanation. That makes more sense.

Despite me setting this up, I noticed that the easy entry update doesn't work at all in my car. I have it checked under my profile, but nothing happens with the steering wheel or the seat after I unbuckle myself after driving.

Despite me setting this up, I noticed that the easy entry update doesn't work at all in my car. I have it checked under my profile, but nothing happens with the steering wheel or the seat after I unbuckle myself after driving.

Did you configure the easy entry/exit profile? You set up the seat/wheel where you want and save that profile. Then when you unbuckle it switches to that profile.

The indicator was designed by the same people who make refrigerator lights.

What a great new feature! A relatively small feature, but wow, makes a big difference getting in and out of the car.

A couple of years ago I created a separate "exit" profile that could be manually selected for getting out of the car but it was slow and cumbersome so I stopped using it. I figured Easy Exit would be like that but it is surprisingly quick and, well, easy.

The snowflake only shows up when there is a large gap of battery level and usable battery level. Mine was 48/47 but the snowflake didn't show up. I imagine it has to be a few % before it does.
If it’s more complex than ‘battery pack is at 46 F or below’ it’s going to be one heck of a post creator here on TMC. :D It’s bad enough already after two days.

I understand the theoretical chemistry issue, but, again, why can’t they just tell us what the criteria are. Good grief.

Didn’t 17.50.1 also have that? Maybe the notes didn’t say it.... We definitely need a consolidated firmware thread/forum/something.

The wiki is here and you have edit privileges :)
Model S software/firmware changelog

It is called “Model S...” but that is because it was started in 2012. It is reasonably up-to-date (through 8.1 50.x) but needs someone to add recent updates.