Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50.2 screwed up lane changing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just don’t understand why Tesla’s engineers keep playing with lane changing. They got it right 4-5 months ago and now they made it worse than ever. It is very aggressive to the point I had to turn off AP every time I need to make lane change. My family will not let me use AP because of the jerky lane change and we are on 1,500 mile road trip:mad:

Are you having the same experience? Or it is just me.

Had some of that today depending upon the lane-changing scenario.

Consider, if you’ve not yet, using Chill mode to take some of the rough edges off.

I had Chill and range modes activated today and aside from the predictable anemic top end, maneuvering was not completely awful.

• Helpful
Reactions: Swift
Before Chill, my default was Sport mode. So now it’s usually Chill and Sport.

Taking range mode out of the equation, what I noticed first with Chill, aside from the uncanny resemblance of acceleration to driving a 4-cylinder sedan (remember that hesitation?), was that lane changes were less abrupt, and slow and go with TACC was noticeably less jerky.

This was before .50.2. After about 40 miles with .50.2, the wavering subsided and, with Chill, the same positive characteristics as above.

While AP2 remains brittle compared to the surety of AP1, if this is what Elon meant by silky smooth 9 months ago, I’d have to say this is the silliest smoothest AP2 yet (except for the first 40 miles which were a bit... queasy).

Your mileage may vary :).

I uploaded 50.2 while spending Xmas in Asheville. on the 2 hr drive home it was more aggressive than 17.44. My wife did not complain so I used it several times. The next day I went to Winston Salem and on the way back it started getting smoother. I also noticed on a single lane road it was not as smooth as the 17.44. Road was well marked.

Reactions: Sambas
In my opinion autopilot should exhibit good driver traits and teach people the correct way to drive. The autopilot is safe and predictable on long straight drives..... but lane changing is more aggressive than needed almost to the to point that car is racing to establish itself in the new land.as fast as possible... and dont release the turn signal too early during the lane change or risk snapping the car back to the original lane even more agressively...

Had some of that today depending upon the lane-changing scenario.

Consider, if you’ve not yet, using Chill mode to take some of the rough edges off.

I had Chill and range modes activated today and aside from the predictable anemic top end, maneuvering was not completely awful.
Chill mode is essential for winter driving so I have it on since the snow started falling here in Michigan. Now you mentioned that, today I’ll compare lane changing with and without chill mode.

Yes, definitely more aggressive. I think it is programmed for busier traffic where you have less space to change lanes but during normal or long distance driving, this is rather annoying. It also seems like you have to hold the turn signal longer as it starts to move quickly from the existing lane but then takes time to fully get into the new lane. Hard to measure all this and of course mostly gut feel. I would prefer it to kind of drift over like a human would.

I noticed a change, but not a large one. In moderate or heavy traffic, it feels just about right (although I did slightly prefer the slightly gentler change). In light or no traffic, it feels awkward.

It's a tricky balance, isn't it? I know that I change lanes in different ways depending on the traffic and other circumstances. I don't know when (or if) we'll get to that point.

Lane change aggressive or more refined movement has bounced back and forth from release to release it seems. Probably people reporting to Tesla, "it's too slow and needs to move faster!" and those who probably report "lane change is far too aggressive and causes passengers to get thrown around in their seats!".

There is no happy middle ground, this is why it should be a configurable option. I'm about to now. :)

I'd encourage all to contact Tesla at [email protected] or through the support page in your MyTesla account, Hope is not a strategy, and unless enough of us request they make it so, it's not going to happen.

Mod edit: Fixed typo in email address. --bmah

Last edited by a moderator:
It's definitely changing lanes with "authority". I tell my dog to hold on his fuzzy butt when I change lanes because gravity is about to change.

I am also noticing that it doesn't always want to change lanes, even if I hold the signal down for several seconds with no one in the blind spot. Is this just a quirk?

• Funny
Reactions: Sambas