Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50 2275226 is out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100% agreed. This is a habit I've picked up even more heavily from flying small propeller planes. People around your vehicle are unpredictable. Somebody will put themselves in a risky situation sooner or later, e.g. somebody walks into your propeller arc for no apparent reason; a passenger lingers next to your car when you expected them to be inside; etc... Bottom line: shut down your vehicle when picking up or dropping off your passengers. It's so easy to stop and get started again in a Tesla too - there's no reason not to.
Exactly. Always best to reduce risk whenever possible to protect yourself and others from brain farts.

Reactions: BinaryField
After upgrading from .46 to .50, I've noticed that the automatic lane changing is faster and a little more aggressive. It also seems to do a slightly better job anticipating mild curves and staying in the lane center. Otherwise, it makes all the same mistakes it does on my regular commute.
Just drove1100 miles from Southwest Washington to Palm Desert California. Used autopilot more than 90% of the trip.
First day - pounding rain wipers on max through the entire state of Oregon & on into Mount Shasta California.
Whiteout conditions from Semi-trucks’ wheel spray for hundreds of miles & hundreds of Semis. Very scary. AP2 2017.50.1 was amazing. It seemed to see what I was not able to.
Auto lane change is definately more aggressive now. I have rationalized that it might be more safe since it isn’t using the side cameras to detect a rapidly approaching distant vehicles in the target lane. Once committed get done ASAP before conditions change.
It is a little jarring @ 80 + mph in the rain. Especially for my wife as a passenger as she reads a book on her iOS device.

Driving 80 mph in the rain, that in itself I am not sure is the right thing to do. With AP? Hmm..
I’m not a lead foot.
Semi-Trucks going 70+. You have to go 80+ to safely get by them quick enough to avoid getting completely enveloped and totally blinded in the side or rear wake.
I have my AP set to 2 miles over speed limit.

Reactions: bhzmark and croman
Brand new S owner. I live in a place where my home wifi doesn't reach our garage. Is my best bet going to an SC and getting the new software queued up there? I've heard LTE updates take forever / don't come.

What about a wifi extender? That would at least also give you wifi also for your phone when you are out in your garage or driveway maybe. We've talked about one since we lose signal in a few places in our yard and come summertime when we are outside more it's a pain. Much rather use our wifi than cellular for alot of things.

That's a great idea. I never come close to using all my data. Once the car is connected to wifi will it automagically go out and look for updates or does it just do it whenever it feels like pinging the update server?
Yep! You may have to be hotspotted for hours for the update to complete but connecting to WiFi does tend to start the download.

But only do it based off the data on TeslaFi: once you see 75% or so of users on some new update, hotspot. WiFi won’t magically get you an update when Fremont hasn’t scheduled your VIN for a rollout yet.

Reactions: croman
What about a wifi extender? That would at least also give you wifi also for your phone when you are out in your garage or driveway maybe. We've talked about one since we lose signal in a few places in our yard and come summertime when we are outside more it's a pain. Much rather use our wifi than cellular for alot of things.

We live in Chicago and have a detached garage that is quite a bit of distance from the condo's main building. We use an Eero mesh to cover our house but just logistically it would be REALLY hard to get another node between our home and the garage. Thanks for the reply!

Yep! You may have to be hotspotted for hours for the update to complete but connecting to WiFi does tend to start the download.

But only do it based off the data on TeslaFi: once you see 75% or so of users on some new update, hotspot. WiFi won’t magically get you an update when Fremont hasn’t scheduled your VIN for a rollout yet.
Great tip. I hear a lot about TeslaFi...probably time to check it out. I worry a bit about the TOS and giving them an API token.