Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50.3.f3425a1 is out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought AP 1 rain sensing was very good. Not "bad" at all, always pretty spot on.

Looking forward to seeing AP2's performance... I really like this feature.

-Jim
We have a lot of mist here as opposed to rain droplets and I’ve found that AP1 responds decently to large splattering drops of rain but not well at all to mist or small water droplets.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Likewise. I came from your A6 stablemate which has fantastic auto wipers. The AP1 implementation sucked in comparison and I actually like the manual wipers on AP2.

But with that said for me the excitement is more that this is the first new use of AP2’s sensor suite / new user visible neural net application. And a symbol of AP2’s questionable promises that’s many thought would not be kept.

That's a good point, regarding AP features.

For what it's worth, there are two things I've been annoyed that I will lose when I eventually get my car, auto wipers and air conditioned seats. Granted, I use the air conditioned seats wayyyyyy more than I use the wipers out here in Droughtifornia, but at least now I know I won't have to manually turn on the wipers like some sort of savage after all ;)
Late 2106 (December) AP2, S90Ds like mine have (no longer available) ventilated [cooled] perforated white vegan seats. LOVE this in the summer time and in AZ. Too bad they stopped offering them, but its sort of like (a single) unicorn hair, right????

Reactions: Rouget
Late 2106 (December) AP2, S90Ds like mine have (no longer available) ventilated [cooled] perforated white vegan seats. LOVE this in the summer time and in AZ. Too bad they stopped offering them, but its sort of like (a single) unicorn hair, right????
When they discontinued them, I died a little inside. I'm hoping against hope that there's a miracle and they bring them back in a future refresh (albeit with other interior colors. There's no realistic version of this world where I buy a car with a white interior).

• Informative
Reactions: Rouget
48.15 is for the Model 3, which seems to be running different versions from the S/X.
Yep, I know. But it’s still a wee bit confusing to have these ‘other’ releases on top of 2017.50.3 for example. And no easy way to tell that they are for the 3. All the ‘weird’ numbers appear to be ‘3’ releases but maybe we need a different category if this keeps up....

Yep, I know. But it’s still a wee bit confusing to have these ‘other’ releases on top of 2017.50.3 for example. And no easy way to tell that they are for the 3. All the ‘weird’ numbers appear to be ‘3’ releases but maybe we need a different category if this keeps up....

I'm surprised they have bifurcated the software but not the release versions. Cleary they're following a {year}.{week}.{build version} pattern, some sort of SemVer. This won't be confusing at all.

Likewise. I came from your A6 stablemate which has fantastic auto wipers. The AP1 implementation sucked in comparison and I actually like the manual wipers on AP2.

But with that said for me the excitement is more that this is the first new use of AP2’s sensor suite / new user visible neural net application. And a symbol of AP2’s questionable promises that’s many thought would not be kept.

Opposite experience for me. I've never find ANY manufacturer's rain sensing wipers to work to my satisfaction, including our previous A6 and A5 which we got rid of when we got the Model S. Though I'd often start in rain sensing mode, I would usually end up manually adjusting wiper speed based on condtions. My brain was considerably better at this than Audi or Mercedes' systems.

• Informative
Reactions: Rouget and arcus
I am pleased for you AP2+ folks.
That said, I have never understood the hoohaa around auto sensing wipers. I've used them on multiple cars for about 10 minutes and then never again. They just don't seem to be a good option, especially if you use RainX. I would have gladly surrendered my AP1 functionalty to those of you who really dig this kind of functionality if I could have.

Reactions: arcus
Opposite experience for me. I've never find ANY manufacturer's rain sensing wipers to work to my satisfaction, including our previous A6 and A5 which we got rid of when we got the Model S. Though I'd often start in rain sensing mode, I would usually end up manually adjusting wiper speed based on condtions. My brain was considerably better at this than Audi or Mercedes' systems.
Oh boy if the other systems dissatisfy you then you really would not like the AP1 autowipers!

Personally I don’t mind managing my wipers myself. Getting some initial wiping when raindrops appear is basically the main benefit to me. That way I don’t scramble to turn on the wipers which I admittedly forget to do in a particular car since I live in CA where it rarely rains. I find inevitably I end up being unhappy with the automatic wiping algorithm and manually interval wipe.