Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 75D vs 2018 100D - Range worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a Feb 2017 MX 75D and have been debating whether to upgrade to a 2018 or later MX 100D. I bought my 75D at 64k about 2 years ago and have about 2 years left on warranty. With this being my first Tesla, I didnt realize how much the range really bugged me, at a full charge, i get about 210 miles (this is what the display shows). I see that the 100D gets a rated range of about 295 miles. I am assuming that with at least 2-3 years degradation, the range for a 2018 100D would be at lease 285 miles. My situation is that i drive about 20-25 daily with a business trip once a month of about 340 miles one way for about 680-700 miles total.

As far as the features, it doesnt seem all too much different in the interior as i already upgraded my 75D with MCU2 and I have the cameras for AP 2.5. I think the newer long range models come at a range of about 335 or something like that, but this is way out of my budget. I have been browsing and I think i can get a 2018 or 2019 100D for about 75-85k, which i think may be worth the upgrade for that peace of mind.

Just wanted to get thoughts from others to see what they think as i go back and forth with this.

340 miles one way would be one Supercharger stop and then charge overnight at the hotel, then one Supercharger stop on the way home, regardless of which car you have. The new one might charge a little faster, but it's still going to be a half hour sitting there at the charger.

I don't think I'd make a change unless you can afford a car that can make the trip without stopping along the way for a charge. A 2021 Model S LR should be able to do that with quoted range of 405 miles if you keep your speed reasonable. Or at a minimum make the charging stop like 5 minutes. That car can be had for $85K.

What is your actual route?

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
My 2 cents:
- Yes, you should upgrade, the range on 75D is just too low.
- 100D Pre-Raven is still not enough range to bother with the upgrade. Instead, get a June2019 or later Raven Long Range model, where it has a new efficient front motor, increasing range another 10 to 15% over the 100D model. When the new Xs start rolling out in a couple of months, the 2019 and 2020 Ravens will likely start to become affordable.

I currently have a Feb 2017 MX 75D and have been debating whether to upgrade to a 2018 or later MX 100D. I bought my 75D at 64k about 2 years ago and have about 2 years left on warranty. With this being my first Tesla, I didnt realize how much the range really bugged me, at a full charge, i get about 210 miles (this is what the display shows). I see that the 100D gets a rated range of about 295 miles. I am assuming that with at least 2-3 years degradation, the range for a 2018 100D would be at lease 285 miles. My situation is that i drive about 20-25 daily with a business trip once a month of about 340 miles one way for about 680-700 miles total.

As far as the features, it doesnt seem all too much different in the interior as i already upgraded my 75D with MCU2 and I have the cameras for AP 2.5. I think the newer long range models come at a range of about 335 or something like that, but this is way out of my budget. I have been browsing and I think i can get a 2018 or 2019 100D for about 75-85k, which i think may be worth the upgrade for that peace of mind.

Just wanted to get thoughts from others to see what they think as i go back and forth with this.
If your X has FUSC, I would stay put for anything less than a refresh X LR.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Invaluable advice, I'm trying to take advantage of the section 179 rule and purchase a new X in December, but we'll see. But that tidbit about the raven and June 2019 or later model is gold and is going to help future proof my car for at least another 4-5 years

Used prices being where they are however, I would go for refresh. And that’s coming from someone who has a 2019 MX Raven.
Invaluable advice, I'm trying to take advantage of the section 179 rule and purchase a new X in December, but we'll see. But that tidbit about the raven and June 2019 or later model is gold and is going to help future proof my car for at least another 4-5 years

I don't think the prices will be that much lower for a 2019-2020 Long range. The refresh isn't anything to write home about. I have a 2020 Long range plus and consistently get 365 miles on a full charge with 11k miles on it. Just get whatever you love and can deal with because at this level 10k isn't much of a difference.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I just drove my new2me 2016 P90D that only had 250 miles range when it was new 7.5 years ago back home across country and there wasn't a single place where there were not enough Superchargers. I think I get 230 miles rated now at 75,000 miles. It doesn't charge as fast as all that (under 130kW) so I try to get back on the road around 65-70% but it's free to charge