Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 90D vs 2018 100D - is it worth it?

So which one would you pick?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering peoples opinion:
I have the following options for a used Model S purchase through Tesla.
1) 2017 Obsidian Black 90D with 31k miles on it, autopilot 2.0, premium upgrade package, upgraded sound system, sunroof, premium vented seats, 19 inch wheels. Good photos but there does appear to be a warning signal lite up on top of 17 inch screen (?may be nothing but don't know).

2) 2018 Midnight Silver Metallic 100D with 17k miles on it, autopilot 2.5, premium upgrade pkg, upgraded sound system, glass roof, air suspension, dual chargers, cold weather pkg, premium vegan seats, 21 inch sonic carbon wheels. Good photos throughout and no warnings.

If they were close to even I'd go with the 2018 100D in a heartbeat - just a little prettier car, my favorite color, and better battery, etc.... However, the 2018 100D would be 14k more expensive than the 90D.

I know that a lot of this is personal preference - just wanted to know if people had a good argument that would support me paying more for the 100D (realistically, I can afford either - just 5 year buy vs 6 year buy).

My Tesla is basically your first option except mine is silver and also has cold weather package (which is great for cold weather areas). So far the 90 has held up well with 48k miles.

As far as the MCU2, I can upgrade my MCU to version 2 for $2500. The issue is that I lose AM,FM and XM radio. Not a big deal since I don’t use any of those and can use tune in for what I want. If the car comes with MCU2 from the factory, radio still works.

The color can be wrapped.

But in your case, I’d still probably go with the 100D If in good shape. Mainly because you’d get faster super charging speeds since the battery is bigger for longer peak charge and especially more range. The HW 2.5 cameras are color vs HW 2.0.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your responses. How can I find out if it is MCU 2 vs MCU 1. On ev-cpo I can see "APH3 AP 2.5". It looks like it was placed in service March 2018.
Since it was placed in service March 2018, it has MCU1. The build date can be found on the sticker that is on the drivers side door - that also has the VIN on it. Are there any shots of the car on Tesla.com with that sticker?

Most will say the 100d. But really comes down to your finances. $14k dollars isnt a small amount (to me). All depends on your needs:
Do you NEED the added range? (Im not the best example, as I rarely do road trips and I charge maybe twice a week max, with my local running around).
MCU can be upgraded for $2500 whenever you want if you go with the 90. So that problem is easily solvable. (if its even a problem for you)
Faster Super Charging speeds. Again, all on your personal preference/needs. I most likely will end up supercharging maybe twice a year at the current rate. Almost all of my road trips can be done one way on a full charge. And stopping on the way back for one supercharging session (even if its a bit long) wouldnt be an issue for me.

Again, most comes down to your specific needs and value of $14k to you personaly

Last edited:
I can't thank everyone for their help enough.
I looked at the door sticker on picture and it says 02/18 so I assume it was made in Feb 2018. From what you guys have said this is likely MCU1. How big a deal is that? I only will have autopilot and not FSD for this car.
Has the 100D battery had less degradation or issues than the 90D?
Have people with sunroofs noticed signifiant issues with leakage/build quality vs. the glassroof?

So happy to even be able to consider a Model S. I've loved these cars since they first arrived several years ago.

$14K is a lot of money but if you can swing it, I'd go with the 100D even though it appears to be an MCU1 car. Is the 90D the refreshed front bumper version? MCU1 is fine for me right now as the only time I notice its slow is when you take an on ramp onto a highway, its takes a second or two to refresh the maps. The LTE signal can be spotty, not sure if that is fixed with MCU2 or not.

I don't have any issues with my sunroof. No leaks or creaks and I have a 2016.

The trade off is mainly the range for that $14K and a newer car. Both of them will come with a 4 year/50K mile warranty, so you'll be covered well. I was in the same boat as you - been wanting to get an MS for a very long time, and finally got one last year.

I have the sunroof. No issues. Can use the phone app to place it into "vent" position and close it. MCU1 is fine for me, but MCU2 does get you the full sentry mode (allows you to record video footage when alarm is tripped) and gets you dashcam functionality I think. Also gets you some additional entertainment features including Netflix. And also faster response. I may eventually get it, or I may not. MCU1 meets all of my needs now. And Im also under full warranty so no concerns if my MCU1 fails. To some, MCU2 upgrade is a must. To me, that $2500 is going into stock investment. So all on onces personal priorities.

And I have the V3 90 battery, which supposedly is the best one to have. But either way, I purchased my car Dec 2019. Came with Tesla's 8 year unlimited mile warranty on the battery

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverGS
Thank you to everyone.
I agree.
I decided to cancel my reservation for the 2017 90D (still quite a beautiful car) and move forward with the 2018 100D with lower milage, more options, and sonic carbon wheels. Just couldn't pass it up and hope to keep this car for a long time. It only has MCU1 (2/18 build date) but hopefully that will be fine for a while since its only standard autopilot and not full self driving. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it arrives from Tesla in good shape.

Just want to thank everyone for their help/input. I picked up the 2018 model S 100D last Friday. Incredible car (less incredible buying experience but that seems to be par for the course- I know they mean well).
3297C90D-E7C6-4E4D-8DE3-129A3CAE1D9C.jpeg

Attachments

• 06D36176-7DD7-4C35-843F-FC95CE056D46.jpeg
    06D36176-7DD7-4C35-843F-FC95CE056D46.jpeg
    686.6 KB · Views: 164
I had a similar decision to make back in June 2017. I narrowed it down to either a new 100D or a new inventory 90D AP2 (v3 battery) that cost 25k less after a significant inventory discount. I took much of the savings and invested in Tesla stock. It was the best decision I ever made on a new vehicle purchase. Never looked back.

Having a 2013 S85, I'm inclined to always go with the larger battery pack with faster charging. We don't drive more than 200 miles on a regular basis, but when we do take a 200-500 mile trip I wish the car had more range and would charge faster. Everyone has their own list of "must haves" so I can't really say what suits you best; I can only say what I would do and my reasoning behind it. At this point, if Tesla offered the MCU2 and 100kW battery pack upgrade (or a legit 85kW battery pack that charged like 100kW pack).