Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Cars On Tesla Site Used Inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2017 75D and 100D cars listed on Tesla site show up as "Full Self Driving Capability"

Does this mean they all have been upgraded to AP3.0 hardware?
And unless the previous owner has done the MCU upgrade by paying for it out of pocket, they should still be running MCU1.0?
Are there any features on the newer 2020 pre latest facelift cars that are not present in these 2017 models assuming cars are running AP3.0 and MCU2? I am curious if there is any difference in the way the cars drive when comparing 2017 models with the current 2020/2021 models? I believe the smart air suspension was recently upgraded.

It means they have AP2 hardware with cameras (the V1 cameras).. for only 1500 after purchase, you can get MCU2, the AP3 hardware will be free bc you have FSD (yeah, they would install it anyways with the upgrade), and then you have a car that is essentially identical from AP/MCU perspective as a 2020 model (except for the cameras are washed out colorwise - only matters for dashcam/sentry)... great deal if you are willing to go to MCu2

Hi, I actually bought one of those in January! It's a 2017 Model S 75, listed with FSD and 40k miles for $40k. It has standard suspension and roof, and textile seats. After requesting more info about the car online, a sales guy named Sabir called me. He said that the cars typically don't have MCU2 already, but that mine did, perhaps due to the previous owner. So mine came with that and AP2 computer. It drives around city streets and intersections on autopilot, but won't make urban turns yet. So yeah, expect to have to replace the MCU, but also expect the salesperson to be able to verify which it has ahead of time.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I recently purchased a 2017 75D as well. Just to add to what other posters have said, you will want to pay close attention to the VIN and production date, because in the middle of 2017 there was a change that allows some of the MS to be uncorked. They should be listed with a 0-60 of 4.2 if it's already been uncorked. Generally vins over 20000 can or are uncorked. 2017 also will likely have MCU2. If you can find a good deal on a 2018, they will likely have MCU2 and have the 4.2 0-60.

I recently purchased a 2017 75D as well. Just to add to what other posters have said, you will want to pay close attention to the VIN and production date, because in the middle of 2017 there was a change that allows some of the MS to be uncorked. They should be listed with a 0-60 of 4.2 if it's already been uncorked. Generally vins over 20000 can or are uncorked. 2017 also will likely have MCU2. If you can find a good deal on a 2018, they will likely have MCU2 and have the 4.2 0-60.
Just to clarify, MCU2 was not standard until April 2018. So, a 2017 will likely not have MCU2 unless the previous owner paid for the upgrade

Hi, I actually bought one of those in January! It's a 2017 Model S 75, listed with FSD and 40k miles for $40k. It has standard suspension and roof, and textile seats. After requesting more info about the car online, a sales guy named Sabir called me. He said that the cars typically don't have MCU2 already, but that mine did, perhaps due to the previous owner. So mine came with that and AP2 computer. It drives around city streets and intersections on autopilot, but won't make urban turns yet. So yeah, expect to have to replace the MCU, but also expect the salesperson to be able to verify which it has ahead of time.

This is very good info. If your car was sold with FSD then should it not have come with AP3.0? Could you or someone else clarify this point? I thought FSD needed AP3.0.

I bought a used P100d last June from Tesla. All used Tesla’s generally have FSD added in to increase their sale price. It of course did not have AP 3 installed. I had to ask to have it installed when I was first in for service - they verified that FSD was in the car and then they did it. No one at Tesla would had done it proactively.

I bought a used P100d last June from Tesla. All used Tesla’s generally have FSD added in to increase their sale price. It of course did not have AP 3 installed. I had to ask to have it installed when I was first in for service - they verified that FSD was in the car and then they did it. No one at Tesla would had done it proactively.

This makes a lot of sense.

Oh, by the way my impression of the nomenclature was that AP1 corresponds to HW1-HW2.5 and AP2 corresponds to FSD and HW3.

No. AP1 only has the front facing cameras. No side cameras at all and will never get FSD.

AP2 starts with HW 2.0 which was first built in later 2016. I have HW 2.0 (hardware) in my 2017 and will be getting the updated FSD (full self driving) computer this spring. I don’t plan on upgrading the side cameras to color cameras even though that is possible.

If you want FSD, then be sure to get AP2. Doesn’t matter on the HW version because that can be upgraded. And if the car states it has FSD, then it will have the latest computer for it (or it can be upgraded to it for free).