Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Chademo Tesla Adapter Not Working With Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was having issues with my adaptor and I told tesla about it during my service and they just gave me a new one.
The old adaptor was very inconsistent.
The old one was bought February 2017

No Service Centers in my area stock them and the Online Orders are the ones making the previous written emails but not to me personally. They responded in an email to a Tesla employee whom I had contacted by telephone to get to the bottom of the matter. But I was previously phoned by Tesla to determine the facts surrounding the emailed failure complaint of the chademo adapter, and was not offered any information beyond that at the time.

Would love to hear how this goes. We'll be doing the same in early October with a *new* adapter and I'd be interested in hearing your experience.

Exactly! And why I was slightly put off by their email reply which seems to put the blame on DCFC stations and offering no other solutions other than saying they are actively working on it. They told me not to return the adapter for a different one because it is the problem of DCFC charge stations but offered no timeline or expectation of when their product (chademo adapter) will work!

Both adapters are now in our frunk. We will make sure to test both over the weekend to see if the new one does not work. If it doesn't, I will be calling Tesla. It will be hard to argue it's the charging station's fault if I have two adapters and one works and the other does not.

Both adapters are now in our frunk. We will make sure to test both over the weekend to see if the new one does not work. If it doesn't, I will be calling Tesla. It will be hard to argue it's the charging station's fault if I have two adapters and one works and the other does not.

Good luck! I hope they both work. I have my friends that he bought over a year ago, that is still working and will posses it until the end of the week, but I was hoping that mine would be working.

Interesting thread. I was just about to "literally" click the mouse to buy an adapter through Tesla online "shopping" sites when I saw this. Perhaps I'll wait a bit until more here report back with their outcomes.

Which makes no sense. The old adapters work, the new ones don't. Why is this not Tesla's problem to solve?
The only reason I can think of is if the new adapters follow the official CHAdeMO spec closer while the chargers are the ones that are off (from the other thread, the ones affected seem to be older chargers).

Unfortunately the thing about standards is there are some parts of the spec with gray areas that leads to situations like this.

Ideally of course the adapters are designed for maximum compatibility, although perhaps there is a safety reason too.

Reactions: Galve2000
So I had to get an adapter for a trip this weekend and since I just bought the adapter yesterday I had to take it out and try it. Worked on an Eaton charger, pretty old one too... couldn't even make out the screen at all anymore. Anyway hopefully it will work on the Greenlots charger at the Marriott I am staying at!

Having a service center load an *older* version of the firmware may fix some problems that have cropped up with newer adapters.

Specifically, which makes and models of CHAdeMO stations can't you charge at?

Nobody at my service center had any clue that the CHAdeMO adapter even HAD firmware, let alone knowing how to check/update it. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

I even told them about reading it here and quoted the rev level from above and they just stared at me like I had two heads. lol

• Funny
Reactions: croman
The CHAdeMO adapter (3/18/2016) I use in Europe has Part number 1036391-10-C and is working fine everywhere !

CHAdeMO.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
The Signet chargers used by Greenlots and a lot of municipalities and very persnickety with how you activate them and in which order you connect / disconnect things. Even when getting all of that correct, your car will throw multiple errors after charging completes, until you unplug it. That said, getting past that, they work great to charge your car.

The ChargePoint chargers seem to work a little more straight forward and I don't get a bunch of errors on the car when the charging completes.

I haven't used any other DCFC other than those two companies units. My CHAdeMO adapter was purchased 06/2016 and has the latest firmware.

My adapter bought in mid June is number 1036392-10-C. I assume this means it's rev C. I just used it at the Greenlots charger at Pittsburgh International Airport without issue. Seems like I have a good one so far.

So I had to get an adapter for a trip this weekend and since I just bought the adapter yesterday I had to take it out and try it. Worked on an Eaton charger, pretty old one too... couldn't even make out the screen at all anymore. Anyway hopefully it will work on the Greenlots charger at the Marriott I am staying at!

I had some luck with a Greenlots charger in Newport News, VA as well... had issues getting it to start but was able to do so several times. This is using the latest D rev that I bought last week.

My adapter bought in mid June is number 1036392-10-C. I assume this means it's rev C. I just used it at the Greenlots charger at Pittsburgh International Airport without issue. Seems like I have a good one so far.
My June 2016 adapter is P/N 1036392-10-C. I believe the European P/N's are a tiny different, so I don't know if their revisions follow along with ours.

I tested it at 2 Greenlots stations this past weekend in Columbus. If you unplug soon after charging finishes, it won't throw any errors. If you leave it connected for some minutes after it stops charging, the car will start to throw errors and the charge port ring will turn red. This used to happen immediately. I have had a service advisor come out to witness it and take photos. I'm guessing nothing transpired beyond that. This being said, it *does* charge successfully, and the errors immediately go away after you unplug.

The ChargePoint units never cause an error to appear on the car, even after being left plugged-in after charging completed.

The procedure that I use, which works perfectly every time is as follows.
To Begin:
1. Insert CHAdeMO adapter into your car.
2. Activate/Enable/Authorize charging unit.
3. Insert charging unit plug into CHAdeMO adapter.
When Finished:
1. Press button on CHAdeMO adapter handle.
2. When charge ring turns white, remove adapter from your car.
3. Disconnect charging unit plug from CHAdeMO adapter.

• Informative
Reactions: Troy916
My June 2016 adapter is P/N 1036392-10-C. I believe the European P/N's are a tiny different, so I don't know if their revisions follow along with ours.

I tested it at 2 Greenlots stations this past weekend in Columbus. If you unplug soon after charging finishes, it won't throw any errors. If you leave it connected for some minutes after it stops charging, the car will start to throw errors and the charge port ring will turn red. This used to happen immediately. I have had a service advisor come out to witness it and take photos. I'm guessing nothing transpired beyond that. This being said, it *does* charge successfully, and the errors immediately go away after you unplug.

The ChargePoint units never cause an error to appear on the car, even after being left plugged-in after charging completed.

The procedure that I use, which works perfectly every time is as follows.
To Begin:
1. Insert CHAdeMO adapter into your car.
2. Activate/Enable/Authorize charging unit.
3. Insert charging unit plug into CHAdeMO adapter.
When Finished:
1. Press button on CHAdeMO adapter handle.
2. When charge ring turns white, remove adapter from your car.
3. Disconnect charging unit plug from CHAdeMO adapter.

The adapter instructions say to connect the adapter to the charging station first, then connect to car. Of course, they go on to say that can be reversed as well. Guess it shouldn't matter. Personally, I always connect the charger to the adapter first then plug into car.

Also, I have never left it connected for more than a minute to two after charging, so haven't experienced any errors.

The adapter instructions say to connect the adapter to the charging station first, then connect to car. Of course, they go on to say that can be reversed as well. Guess it shouldn't matter. Personally, I always connect the charger to the adapter first then plug into car.

Also, I have never left it connected for more than a minute to two after charging, so haven't experienced any errors.
Yea, I originally tried following the step-by-step instructions, but could never get the Greenlots charger to work. Then I kept reading where it said you could do it either way, so I tried changing the order, and VIOLA!