Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Chademo Tesla Adapter Not Working With Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interesting, is there a software update for the older chademo units? mine is 2 years old, does it need an update and if yes how could I get it updated?

If I'm reading the complaint about the newest adapters right, that might not be an update you would want if it would make your adapter not work with most charging stations!

My adapter (one of the first ones, I think -- I ordered as soon as they came into stock on the online store the first time) has worked on every Chademo station I've tried. To my knowledge its firmware's never been updated. However:
  • I do have to fiddle around on some stations with "plug into station first" vs. "plug into car first"
  • Some stations do throw an error at end of charging and require a plug/unplug of everything to start charging again (e.g. flat-rate "30 minutes" stations where the charge has to be restarted if you came in at a very low state of charge).
  • I used to run into (poorly-maintained?) Nissan units that would limit to 25kW for thermal reasons. Haven't seen one of those in a while.
I don't use the adapter every week, but I use it occasionally in a variety of places, and more often on specific trips:
  • There are a few locations that have busy Superchargers right next to underused free Chademo stations (Greenwich supercharger in CT, for example). I sometimes move over to the Chademo when my charge rate falls towards 50kW, to be polite
  • There's a Chademo unit in downtown Rutland, VT which is convenient for a quick top-up while eating dinner after a ski day
  • There are a few Chademo units on the NY Thruway which were handy before they put the Kingston supercharger in.
  • Quebec is basically the land-of-Chademo. Around and past Quebec city, no Superchargers, but Chademo all over the place -- very convenient!
I must have come close to hitting every model of Chademo station sold in North America. Modulo the fiddling to get the charge to start, overall experience has been pretty good.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
If I'm reading the complaint about the newest adapters right, that might not be an update you would want if it would make your adapter not work with most charging stations!
thanks, I was already thinking the same way, it appears that any updates may not be the best idea. My concern is that I've never user the darn thing except for a failed test run and I was concerned that if I didn't update it wouldn't work. however after reading the reports here I decided to do nothing.
thanks

If I'm reading the complaint about the newest adapters right, that might not be an update you would want if it would make your adapter not work with most charging stations!...
For what it's worth, it seems that it's the new hardware revision, not the latest firmware, which is causing the issues. Myself and others have the older adapters with the the most updated firmware, and are able to use the chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: kort677
I asked for the firmware in my 2 year-old CHAdeMO adapter be updated due to some overheat warnings I received a few weeks ago. Tesla told me the CHAdeMO doesn't have updatable firmware and they have no facility to update the CHAdeMO firmware. This came from both a Ranger and Tesla Service in Scottsdale. They usually know what they are doing.

...Tesla told me the CHAdeMO doesn't have updatable firmware and they have no facility to update the CHAdeMO firmware. This came from both a Ranger and Tesla Service in Scottsdale. They usually know what they are doing.

Yet, some people have even witnessed the firmware being updated on their adapters. Most recently a Tesla field engineer (not a ranger) told me service centers could update or downgrade adapter firmware.

I asked for the firmware in my 2 year-old CHAdeMO adapter be updated due to some overheat warnings I received a few weeks ago. Tesla told me the CHAdeMO doesn't have updatable firmware and they have no facility to update the CHAdeMO firmware. This came from both a Ranger and Tesla Service in Scottsdale. They usually know what they are doing.
Welp, this is exactly the issue that folks keep losing their hair over.... YMMV. Not every Tesla employee is of the same knowledge level or willing to admit they don't know something and go ask someone that does. Also (and obviously), not all employees are trained the same. This leads to gobs of misinformation and silly arguments on forums.

I just got home from the Columbus, Ohio Service Center. There is exactly and only one guy there that knows anything about the CHAdeMO firmware and how to update it. He connected to my adapter via Tesla Toolbox while I was right there and pushed down the latest firmware version they had available to them. One point of interest is that they have no way to identify which firmware version you are running. They just upload the latest firmware version they have available to your adapter via Tesla Toolbox, and it either pops-up saying that it already has that version installed, or it accepts it and installs it. I do apologize, as I forgot which version he said I am on, however it wouldn't matter much, as you can't check which version you are running any way.

As a new tesla family member who has a car in the works but not manufactured yet, should I purchase the chademo adapter? I see quite a few comments stating that they are not currently working. I am not near a super charger and plan to charge at home every day once the car arrives. However, for road trips... even short ones, should I not have this adapter?

As a new tesla family member who has a car in the works but not manufactured yet, should I purchase the chademo adapter? I see quite a few comments stating that they are not currently working. I am not near a super charger and plan to charge at home every day once the car arrives. However, for road trips... even short ones, should I not have this adapter?

Use the PlugShare app on your phone to see what kind of chargers are in the areas you plan on traveling. Right now, there are only two sources of DC fast charging, Tesla Superchargers and CHAdeMO chargers. If you are going into areas that don't have any nearby Superchargers and you won't be able to charge overnight at one of the slower AC chargers, you might want to look into buying the adapter to give you access to the CHAdeMO chargers. Most Nissan dealers have them, but your access to them my vary by dealer. Also some convenance store / gas station have them. I also have one at my nearby airport. In my opinion, it's worth the $$ to have a backup fast charging solution for those trips away from the Supercharger network.

Yes, we have some CHAdeMO chargers in our area... was just wondering if the adapter was going to work if I purchased it. Seems some folks are having trouble with them right now.

Yeah, It seems to be hit or miss with certain brands of chargers. I heard GreenLots mentioned as being troublesome. I tried one the other day without problems, but my adapter is from the June timeframe. I guess you could try and find an older used one if you are worried. Or just try your luck with a new one and test it out on as many local chargers as possible before you rely on it too much.

So far, getting no remedy from Tesla. Unofficially have been told to buy a older used one for now... Hmm, I tried to do that before I had purchased a new one. Was always to late to the sale. You have to be right on top of a new listing in order to get one, and I kept on just missing out.

They are still claiming that it is a bug in the software in the DCFC stations and are not offering any remedy other than wait and see without any timelines or guesstimates. They have not even offered money back.

I'm glad that most people posting don't seem to be faced with this issue and I am wishing good luck to the rest of us.

I just completed a 3000 mile road trip but did not have occasion to use it. Areas where there were no Superchargers, there were also no DCFC so I had to resort to L2 or 120 volt. Now that I am back in my neck of the desert, I need it to work.

It is scary that it is a hit or miss and it would be nice if Tesla would provide a list of compatible stations.

Update!!! I went to a Service Center yesterday. They were very helpful and cheerfully offered me a new replacement to try. They also asked the details to see if they could come up with any answers. They were surprised that there could be a software update to a chademo adapter.

Anyway... They must have received some chademo adapters in stock since the last time that I had checked. So I ran off to test it and guess what? Problem Solved! The new adapter from the Service Center worked perfectly at two DCFC stations that I had previously tried and failed. The first chademo adapter that I purchased through the online Tesla Store was defective. I now have a working chademo adapter from the SC! I feel so much better and the Service Center was pleasant and helpful. Thank you!

**ATTENTION**

Would everyone that spoke with their SC and were told that there is no way to update the firmware, please let me know which SC told you this?

I spoke with my SA & lead tech at the Columbus, Ohio SC. They are asking for a list, so they can inform other SCs how to perform the firmware update on CHAdeMO adapters.

I give huge kudos to the SA that wants to help educate all the other SCs on this matter.

**ATTENTION**

Would everyone that spoke with their SC and were told that there is no way to update the firmware, please let me know which SC told you this?

I spoke with my SA & lead tech at the Columbus, Ohio SC. They are asking for a list, so they can inform other SCs how to perform the firmware update on CHAdeMO adapters.

I give huge kudos to the SA that wants to help educate all the other SCs on this matter.

Warrendale, PA - No clue