Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Chademo Tesla Adapter Not Working With Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick Charging Stations are not currently compatible with chademo adapters purchased after May 2017.

Tesla says they are currently working with charging station companies to enable it to work but provided me with no timeline or alternative.

A friends adapter, purchased a little over a year ago, continues to work.

Tesla was not forthcoming with much information but it appears to be a software update is needed at chademo quick charge stations for the new but visually the same looking adapter to work.

I don't know why or what they changed internally to cause this.

Last edited:
Hmm, I bought my adapter around the middle of May 17 and I've used it at least four times at different places without issue since then.

Dunkin' Donuts, Pittsburgh, PA - EVgo
Sheets, State College, PA - Not sure of owner, but took credit card directly
Nissan dealers in Wexford, PA and Chantilly, VA

I'm not sure when the cutoff was when they stopped working. Maybe I'll try mine again to see if it still works. Haven't used it in a few weeks.

Quick Charging Stations are not currently compatible with chademo adapters purchased after May 2017.

Tesla says they are currently working with charging station companies to enable it to work but provided me with no timeline or alternative.

A friends adapter, purchased a little over a year ago, continues to work.

Tesla was not forthcoming with much information but it appears to be a software update is needed at chademo quick charge stations for the new but visually the same looking adapter to work.

I don't know why or what they changed internally to cause this.
Are you sure it's on the charger side and not the adapter that needs the update?

The current version appears to be 1036392-10-D.
Here's another report of an issue with that version:
Suggestions for a Toronto-Montreal-Quebec City-PEI (and back) road trip?

Are you sure it's on the charger side and not the adapter that needs the update?

The current version appears to be 1036392-10-D.
Here's another report of an issue with that version:
Suggestions for a Toronto-Montreal-Quebec City-PEI (and back) road trip?

They sent me an email stating that the charge station companies need to update and that Tesla is actively trying to work with them to do that. Your guess is as good as mine as to what the truth is... I am just frustrated that I have an expensive adapter that I need but cannot use. And I have no Idea when that will change.

In reading the above linked post, they did indeed later in the post, state that the update was to the DCFC Station. It is scary to think, that if I am traveling across the country, that the station that I may need is not going to be compatible, when I am setting on few electrons.

Last edited:
Reactions: u00mem9
Hmmm, we are going on a road trip tomorrow that does require one Chademo stop. We haven't tested my husbands adapter out, and it is brand new, so might have this issue. Mine I bought used from another owner (and it works).

I think I will throw my adapter in his frunk for the trip just in case his doesn't work. It would be very disappointing to have to hit a J1772 instead when we were planning on a quick charge at the Chademo.

I don't understand why the fix is on the charger side when it apparently only affects new adapters? That sounds like something Tesla changed that they could change back.

Reactions: Galve2000
interesting, is there a software update for the older chademo units? mine is 2 years old, does it need an update and if yes how could I get it updated?

When an update is available, you take it into the service station for it to get updated (I was told this by a Tesla employee yesterday).

Hmmm, we are going on a road trip tomorrow that does require one Chademo stop. We haven't tested my husbands adapter out, and it is brand new, so might have this issue. Mine I bought used from another owner (and it works).

I think I will throw my adapter in his frunk for the trip just in case his doesn't work. It would be very disappointing to have to hit a J1772 instead when we were planning on a quick charge at the Chademo.

I don't understand why the fix is on the charger side when it apparently only affects new adapters? That sounds like something Tesla changed that they could change back.

Would love to hear how this goes. We'll be doing the same in early October with a *new* adapter and I'd be interested in hearing your experience.

When an update is available, you take it into the service station for it to get updated (I was told this by a Tesla employee yesterday).
This procedure is true, however.... The problem is that you are not notified in any way that your CHAdeMO adapter has a new firmware available. I bought mine new from the SC (June 2016) and immediately was experiencing some anomalies. I brought the car and adapter back to the SC. They found that there was a newer firmware available for the adapter and updated it.

Reactions: mazeminder
There have been numerous firmware updates to the adapter as new type chargers are built. I take my adapter in with the car every time I take the car in for its annual checkup, and there usually is a firmware update made to the adapter. Further, I have Tesla check my adapter for updates whenever I go on a long trip where I might need to use the adapter. Mine was last checked about 2 weeks ago and was up to date.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and boonedocks
The Signet chargers used by Greenlots and a lot of municipalities and very persnickety with how you activate them and in which order you connect / disconnect things. Even when getting all of that correct, your car will throw multiple errors after charging completes, until you unplug it. That said, getting past that, they work great to charge your car.

The ChargePoint chargers seem to work a little more straight forward and I don't get a bunch of errors on the car when the charging completes.

I haven't used any other DCFC other than those two companies units. My CHAdeMO adapter was purchased 06/2016 and has the latest firmware.

To get back on track, Tesla says these newest adapters don't need updating but the DCFC stations do... That is why it can be a scary proposition that the station that you need to visit, may not be updated to talk to your new chademo adapter.

Which makes no sense. The old adapters work, the new ones don't. Why is this not Tesla's problem to solve?

Which makes no sense. The old adapters work, the new ones don't. Why is this not Tesla's problem to solve?

Exactly! And why I was slightly put off by their email reply which seems to put the blame on DCFC stations and offering no other solutions other than saying they are actively working on it. They told me not to return the adapter for a different one because it is the problem of DCFC charge stations but offered no timeline or expectation of when their product (chademo adapter) will work!

Reactions: JohnnyG