Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Chrysler Pacifica (Minivan) PHEV 30 mile AER

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
The 248-hp Pacifica Hybrid is equipped with a 3.6-liter V6 gas engine, two electric motors and a lithium-ion battery. This version also features a patented "electrically variable transmission."

Chrysler said the plug-in hybrid version will deliver an estimated range of 30 miles on electric power alone. In city driving, it is expected to achieve an efficiency rating of 80 miles per gallon equivalent (MPGe). The EPA has not yet rated the 2017 Pacifica Hybrid.

A full charge using an optional 220-volt charger takes two hours. On a typical household outlet, Chrysler estimates a charge time of less than 14 hours.

And, yes, Chrysler is calling it "hybrid," and not a "plug-in hybrid" or PHEV.

"Customers really don't understand what a PHEV is," said Bruce Velisek, director of Chrysler brand product marketing. "But they understand what a hybrid is."

Buyers should be aware that hybrid models do not have Stow 'n Go seating and storage in the second row because the space is used for the hybrid's battery pack. Instead, that model is equipped with removable captain's chairs.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/201...light-high-tech-family-friendly-features.html

635879715623487158-2017-Chrysler-Pacifica-02.JPG

635879715620991142-2017-Chrysler-Pacifica-19.JPG

V5-301119969.jpg

PH-111009998.jpg

CH017_097PF.jpg

CH017_095PF.jpg

PH-111009998.jpg

Edit added picture with latter in cargo area and ....

Forbes is saying it will have a 16 kWh battery pack.

So full $7500 Federal Credit plus $2500 rebate in CA. Double SWEET!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kbrauer/2016/01/11/2017-chrysler-pacifica-minivan-meets-plug-in-hybrid/

Pretty sweet if you need a 7 passenger vehicle and can't afford a Model X.

I wonder if Sergio is going to beg people not to buy it ? :tongue:

Last edited:
I would have bought this 5-6 years ago. I researched it and found that Toyota had a hybrid minivan that they kept in the Japan and didn't export to US. Kept saying they would, but delayed due to the recession. I figured I'd need one, 2 kids, etc... Then we rented a Caravan on a trip and my wife hated it. Too cavernous, too noisy. So we passed on the minivan.

Glad that Chrysler is moving into hybrids, especially the Minivan. It just makes the most sense. Never understood why Toyota never did bring it over the US.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Her hearing borders on Superhuman. Kids hate it... Coupled with my baseline deafness (shouting at each other in the car to hear), she nixed it right away.

Two box bricks can be loud driving down the highway.

The added rigidity of high strength steel, modern automotive glass, and modern sound deadening material should materially improve road/wind noise penetrating the Pacifica's cabin.

Never heard of a mom complain about too much room in the car though.

Two box bricks can be loud driving down the highway.

The added rigidity of high strength steel, modern automotive glass, and modern sound deadening material should materially improve road/wind noise penetrating the Pacifica's cabin.

Never heard of a mom complain about too much room in the car though.

We're all kinda small!:wink:

Alas, now that we have the S there is no turning back for us. My kids are already telling me that I will have to teach them how to open and close the doors on the X. My little SLKs (Spoiled Little Kids), I call them.

I would have bought this 5-6 years ago. I researched it and found that Toyota had a hybrid minivan that they kept in the Japan and didn't export to US. Kept saying they would, but delayed due to the recession. I figured I'd need one, 2 kids, etc... Then we rented a Caravan on a trip and my wife hated it. Too cavernous, too noisy. So we passed on the minivan.

Glad that Chrysler is moving into hybrids, especially the Minivan. It just makes the most sense. Never understood why Toyota never did bring it over the US.

Same here. 6 years ago it would have been a done deal. Removable seats - hey that's an idea! Sigh.

Reactions: cdub
We're all kinda small!:wink:

Alas, now that we have the S there is no turning back for us. My kids are already telling me that I will have to teach them how to open and close the doors on the X. My little SLKs (Spoiled Little Kids), I call them.

Oh I love that. I have two SLKs as well. With the premium package.

It looks like it could be a great car for our family. We've been wanting to replace our aging Toyota minivan for some time but Model X just doesn't fit the bill. Not as practical and way too expensive. Does the Pacifica Hybrid qualify for carpool lane stickers?

When our kids were small, we had back to back Dodge Caravans. My wife was skeptical at first, but came to love the car and that's why we kept getting them. If I were in the market for this type of vehicle I wouldn't hesitate.

It looks like it could be a great car for our family. We've been wanting to replace our aging Toyota minivan for some time but Model X just doesn't fit the bill. Not as practical and way too expensive. Does the Pacifica Hybrid qualify for carpool lane stickers?

/\ THIS. I'm only keeping my X reservation just so I can check it out once they have one at the closest showroom.

I'll likely be in the market for a Pacifica in the next year or two. allpar has done a great job of reading all the press releases and putting them into a more manageable format. 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Minivans: Sleek, Fast, Quiet, and Modern

It appears that the PHEV version has no tow rating however which is a major mistake IMO. While I've only used our Sienna for towing half a dozen times over the last 7 years I think it's a deal breaker for me.

The only lingering question I have is how many hp the electric motors put out in this thing. The only info I could find was that he gas engine is 248hp, and total system output is 260hp. I wish they should have done what Volvo did and made the PHEV more powerful than the regular version.

Do you think availability of PHEV version will improve Jeep reliability? I would like a PHEV smaller than a minivan but larger than an Audi A3 for my wife vs. current Toyota Sienna (gas) now that kids are away at or out of college.

Well,.....

If you google "Jeep 9 "it suggest "Jeep 9 speed transmission problems."

That POS ZF transmission is being replaced by an electric CVT.

In theory that should dramatically improve things.

Then again it is designed by Chrysler.

The Chrysler Pentastar V6 has won 3 straight Ward's Best Engine awards.

I know the guy in charge of Reliability at Chrysler was fired last year the day after Consumer Reports new vehicle dependability study was released that showed all FCA brands dead last (VW brand was also there in the mix).

The good thing if you are considering the JEEP PHEV is you will be able to see reliability ratings on the first year of the Pacifica Hybrid before making a purchasing decision.

BTW For those considering the Pacifica the minivan along with the RAM pickup are Chrysler's most reliable products earning an "Average" reliability rating from Consumer Reports.

Last edited:
Spacious car with lot of features.

How reliable and easy will be to remove the seats?

Third row folds into the floor. That is easy.

2nd row is removable(does not fold into the floor) because the 16 kWh battery pack is underneath the second row Captains Chairs.

Chrysler did not provide a video showing the Captain chair removal so we will have to wait a bit before various reviewers show us.