Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Chrysler Pacifica (Minivan) PHEV 30 mile AER

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Small cargo space, failure after failure as reported on the forums.
Scary to watch hazardous production line, watch at 3:54 the lady with the long hair floating free, no one is wearing overalls,
a sharp contrast to Honda plants:

Honda delayed the 2017 Odyssey makeover by another year because of the Pacifica.
I am waiting for it, our non-Honda minivan experiences have been terrible so far, and three
kids means large minivan with 21' Skybox on top for those 2 week vacations.

It seem to have plenty of room for 5 people plus luggage. Is there something specifically you have difficulty fitting the space allotted in the Pacifica?

Small cargo space, failure after failure as reported on the forums.
Scary to watch hazardous production line, watch at 3:54 the lady with the long hair floating free, no one is wearing overalls,
a sharp contrast to Honda plants:

Honda delayed the 2017 Odyssey makeover by another year because of the Pacifica.
I am waiting for it, our non-Honda minivan experiences have been terrible so far, and three
kids means large minivan with 21' Skybox on top for those 2 week vacations.

No one wears overalls at Tesla Fremont either.

Two people with long hair wearing in pony tail during production and two people with long hair in quality control have it free flowing.

2016 USA Minivan Market Share Sept YTD

Chrysler 45%
Honda 22%

My dad had a 93 Plymouth Voyager and Sister had 98 Dodge Grand Caravan.

None of them had any problems save for paint starting to wear through after about 8 years and ~100k miles. See these problems in Hondas too.

Never had any problems with room or storage.

Google Honda Odyssey transmission problems. This website below is the first you will see.

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

This is why I hate MPGe. Because people will inevitably make adverts like the one above as if it actually means what John Q. Public thinks it means. Of course, it doesn't help that Chrysler is purposely calling it Hybrid without mentioning the plug. One minor victory in this ad - you can actually see the charge port door and the gas filler door.

This is why I hate MPGe. Because people will inevitably make adverts like the one above as if it actually means what John Q. Public thinks it means.

Well, MPGe is imperfect, but I'm not aware of any better solution as of yet. I suppose they could list EV range and gas MPG side-by-side, but people apparently don't grasp the PHEV concept very well, based on what my Volt-owner friends tell me. Their most common question is "what happens when the battery runs out?"

It is supposed to be available this month in California.

Not sure about Canada/Quebec.

Chrysler received 85M in corporate welfare from Ontario to build the Pacifica in Windsor. It would be really annoying if they delay offering the vehicle in Canada, though I suppose it would be par for the course

Fiat|Chrysler always has its tin cup out, so they may have received money from Ottawa as well. The Ontario rebate program was also reworked this year to cut Tesla while favoring $74,999 (before options) hybrids, which seems like an invitation for the Pacifica.

Ontario investing $85 million in FCA’s Windsor plant

It seem to have plenty of room for 5 people plus luggage. Is there something specifically you have difficulty fitting the space allotted in the Pacifica?
Sorry for late reply, for a family of 5 I take issue with the limited cargo room. In our Odyssey we fitted 5 American Tourister (aka Samsonite) max size US carry on luggage and a large Timberline trunk. 38 vs. 32 cubes, significant.

Honda just released a statement regarding April release date for the new Odyssey, I bet they will implement the SH-AWD and 9 speed tranny.

You looked at the production line video, then read Pacificaforums.com then go to Odyclub.com to get a good idea what owners are busy with, you guessed dealer trips vs. enjoying a high quality vehicle.

This from the Honda Alabama plant:
honda-mfg-alabama-safety-seat-2.jpg

Pacifica assembly in home gear with loose hair:
2016-05-06T152030Z_1869609253_S1BETCMUPIAB_RTRMADP_3_FIATCHRYSLER-MARCHIONNE.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: JohnSnowNW
Honda just released a statement regarding April release date for the new Odyssey, I bet they will implement the SH-AWD and 9 speed tranny.

Much rather have a plug.

Pacifica has more interior volume than Odyssey but less room behind third row.
It all depends on preference between room for cargo and legroom between different rows.

9 Speed Tranny is having horrible problems in Honda Pilot as well as FCA products.

ZF Nine-Speed Transmission Problems, recalls and praise. - Page 5 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

"After more than two years, thousands of warranty claims, and hundreds of owner complaints, transmission supplier ZF is finally issuing a recall to fix its nine-speed automatic.

The transmission can unexpectedly shift into neutral while driving due to an improper crimp on a wiring harness attached to the sensor cluster, which controls the “shift pattern and quality,” according to ZF. The manufacturing defect results in high electrical resistance that causes the transmission to shift into neutral. So far, ZF says this problem affects 505,000 cars in the United States, the majority of them sold by Fiat Chrysler. A software update will either prevent the random shift to neutral or give the driver “adequate warning” before the transmission does so anyway.

ZF is not recommending automakers make any physical repairs to the affected cars despite making a crimping change to its production line starting in July 2014. Reviewing the database on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s website, we found at least 895 owners complaining not just of sudden shifts to neutral but acceleration surges, rough shifts, hesitation to downshift, and even vehicles that rolled away in neutral or engaged drive after the owners claimed they had selected park. At least 10 related injuries have been reported to NHTSA, three of which involved drivers who claimed they were run over as they got out of their cars after selecting park.
When asked if it would fix these other reported problems, ZF deferred to the automakers.
“In this instance, ZF provided the necessary documentation to NHTSA to address a specific issue,” company spokesman Bryan Johnson said. “All other concerns and filings need to be addressed by our customers. It is ZF’s policy to refrain from speaking on their behalf.”"

Honda's most advanced factory in the world making its most expensive product.

Acura NSX.

Assembly worker with long loose hair.

how-the-2017-acura-nsx-is-made_25.jpg

Last edited:
I'm confused by these comments... are automotive factory workers supposed to wear hairnets?

There are always safety concerns with people with long hair working on assembly lines, lathes, etc... Un-restrained hair can be caught in machinery and severely injure the worker. Obviously it would depend on how dangerous their task is in the context of the assembly line.

• Helpful
Reactions: jvonbokel
But how much is the Federal tax benefit in the case of the plugin hybrid?

The battery pack is big enough for $7500 Federal Tax credit and $1500 CA rebate( as long as you make less than $150k or less than $300k as a couple filing jointly). This has changed recently.

BTW

Got the base number right $42k.

I guess base Platinum $50k instead of $45k.

Reactions: cdub
Here are the base prices for the hybrid trims:
$41,995 and $44,995 for the top trim, not including the tax deductions. With the deductions it gets cheaper than the top trim Gas version. This is like a no brainer.

Also Chrysler will sell the plugin hybrid in all 50 states and not just California, Oregon and WA as it happens with other models like the Fiat 500e.

Attachments

• IMG_0453.PNG
    IMG_0453.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 37