Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Chrysler Pacifica (Minivan) PHEV 30 mile AER

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can not believe it took this long for a company to bring a hybrid minivan to the market. The fact that it is a PHEV is even better, though less impressive now that all electric is a viable option. I hope it costs no more than half a Model X so more people can get it. My guess is the base price will be expensive, but not terrible. But, no one will be able to get the base model for a long time and the options will make it very pricey, but still significantly less than a Model X.

The Pacifica will have 5 trim levels.

The Pacifica PHEV will have 2 trim levels.

A well equipped Touring model. Smart money says base MSRP of $42-$45k with a few options.

And a loaded Platinum model. Smart money says base MSRP of $50-$55k with a few options.

Remember it qualifies for the full Federal Credit,the full California Rebate, and I think most other State incentives.

That is the type of vehicle my wife wanted when she got her last new car. Since nothing similar was available at the time, she went with a hybrid Toyota highlander.

Yes, the hybrid (and now PHEV!) minivan segment has been ignored/overlooked for too long. For those that can't afford a Model X, it is nice to see some option like this.

Toyota apparently does have a hybrid minivan too, but Japan only:
Forbidden Fruit: Toyota Esquire Hybrid Luxury Minivan

Sounds like Chrysler didn't cheap out too much on the EV portion of the Pacifica Hybrid.
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid: More Details On 30-Mile Plug-In

According to the link it will run in EV mode all the way up to 120mph (pretty fast for a minivan!) if the accelerator is pressed gently enough. It will turn on the engine if the accelerator is depressed all the way to the floor although they claim it will run in EV mode under "almost all conditions".

I would think the electric motors must be capable of ~80kW at least since it can run 120mph in EV mode. How much power do Model S/Model X use at 120mph? I would think at least 80kW, although I've never had my Model S going the fast, I was shy by at least 6mph at the dragstrip and I wasn't watching the power meter at all. :)

Based on her storage needs for gardening and similar supplies and equipment (and the associated dirt, etc.) my wife has nixed the idea of an MX or any other SUV to replace our current Honda minivan. Minivan again, it has to be, and this has definitely piqued her interest especially since her daily mileage needs will be adequately covered by the EV mode, thus reducing gas purchases for the year to 0 except when doing cross-country trips (assuming we use it instead of the MS for that purpose).

I would have bought this 5-6 years ago. I researched it and found that Toyota had a hybrid minivan that they kept in the Japan and didn't export to US. Kept saying they would, but delayed due to the recession. I figured I'd need one, 2 kids, etc... Then we rented a Caravan on a trip and my wife hated it. Too cavernous, too noisy. So we passed on the minivan.

Glad that Chrysler is moving into hybrids, especially the Minivan. It just makes the most sense. Never understood why Toyota never did bring it over the US.

We owned a Toyota Estima Hybrid 8-passenger minivan in Tokyo from 2003-2010. Not only the hybrid but the entire model was never sold in the US. It was a nice car but I'm not sure we really got a lot out of the hybrid, perhaps because my wife is a bit of a leadfoot, while I tended to drive it for longer highway trips where the hybrid doesn't come into play as much. However once we ran into a snowstorm on our way to a mountain hot spring hotel in Hakone, where the all wheel drive (electric motor on the rear wheels supplementing the FWD engine) helped us get up the hill when other cars were having trouble.

Here's a shot of the Toyota sales guy delivering the car to our house in Tokyo in January 2003.
P1170169.jpg

From Wikipedia: Toyota Previa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Estima Hybrid[edit]

The Estima Hybrid employed the Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive and used two electric motors. A 2.4-litre gasoline engine and a 13 kW (17 hp) electric motor power the front wheels, while the rear wheels are propelled by a 18 kW (24 hp) electric motor.[SUP][5][/SUP] The vehicle had been on sale in Japan since June 2001. It is claimed by Toyota to be the world's first hybrid minivan.[SUP][6][/SUP]

Last edited:
This is in the running with the Outlander PHEV to replace our Mazda 6. My wife hates mini-vans, but I've at least convinced her to consider it (I'll be driving it anyway).

If they had incorporated AWD into the system we would have bought it without hesitation.

Thanks PeterK, finally get to see it! I was starting to think that I was hallucinating the idea all this time!

The Estima was much smaller than the Caravan so your wife might have liked it. Sized about the same as the first gen Honda Odyssey that was also sold as an Isuzu in the US for a while, but was too small for US buyers. In fact the white car in the foreground was my neighbor's Odyssey. Both had very little cargo space behind the third row, but the Estima had powered sliding doors vs the Odyssey's normal swing ones. The Estima Hybrid's cargo space was further compromised with the third row folded due to a large bump housing the battery. But our primary use case was moving our 3, then 4, then 5 kids around locally.

We have a second gen Odyssey here which was also available in Japan (reverse import from Alabama) but it was way too big for driving around Tokyo's narrow streets. For the same reason I can't imagine having a Model S or X there.

Here's a better pic I googled. In some ways the windshield makes me think of the X, but it stretched way ahead rather than behind the driver. There was a really deep dash and it was hard to reach the inside front of the glass to clean it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453902023.820233.jpg

AR-161009881.jpg

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...pares-chrysler-pacifica-plug-in-hybrid-launch

Fiat Chrysler engineers are putting the Chrysler Pacifica plug-in hybrid through final testing and calibration checks on the streets of metro Detroit ahead of the start of production, scheduled for next month.

Two test vehicles, including the white Pacifica in the top photo, were spotted this week in Clawson, Mich., a Detroit suburb. The Pacifica plug-in hybrid looks identical to gasoline-powered models, except for special badges and a battery charging port on the left front fender.

Reactions: jvonbokel
Small cargo space, failure after failure as reported on the forums.
Scary to watch hazardous production line, watch at 3:54 the lady with the long hair floating free, no one is wearing overalls,
a sharp contrast to Honda plants:

Honda delayed the 2017 Odyssey makeover by another year because of the Pacifica.
I am waiting for it, our non-Honda minivan experiences have been terrible so far, and three
kids means large minivan with 21' Skybox on top for those 2 week vacations.