Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 "CPO" Long Range RWD 40.5k vs 2019 New LR AWD 52.4k

Did I make the right decision buying used?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

TLDR wise to buy a Used 2017 LR RWD for 45k total due vs 2019 New LR AWD for ~58k total due before 3.75k tax credit? Saving 10k for no AWD and 2 years back.

I just want to know if I screwed myself by ordering a 2017 Used Long Range RWD from Tesla's inventory website.

I'm wondering:

1. This is a super early build and that's what concerns me the most. I didn't know this when I ordered it, but the earlier model 3's supposedly suffered from build quality issues. How prevalent are these issues on the super early "nearly hand built" 2017 model 3s?
2. Also concerned to see that Model 3's have changed in significant ways, with a better autopilot computer and headlights that are considered actually safe by the IIHS. Is there any place I can see a full list of changes? I'm realizing getting information on these cars is actually quite difficult because the VIN decodes to a very coarse description (basically just year and drive type) and I want to know what other downgrades to expect in 2017.
3. Frankly not that discounted considering it's a 2017 and only RWD, reflects an implicit 15% * 10% depreciation in 2 years
4. Tesla used inventory buying experience has been a NIGHTMARE for many people... unable to get a reasonably well refurbished vehicle for months, and having to become essentially your own ombudsman/customer service coordinator to get disconnected groups within the Tesla service organization to deliver and eventually fix your probably flawed car.

I also cancelled my 2019 LR AWD order today, over concerns that 58k total amount due was steep vs 45k for the 2017. However the cancellation has not been reflected in my account and I'm wondering if I can abort and go back to the new car.

How many miles are on the used 3? It's a big difference if it has 5,000 miles vs 35,000 miles. Does the RWD have the same features you are getting on the new? By the price, I am assuming FSD. 19" wheels? White interior will only be in new.

Have you checked to see if Tesla has any new LR RWD? I am not sure if those are still available off-menu. Also, depending on your income situation, you may be able to qualify for an additional $2,500 CA CVRP for a new 3.

If carpool sticker is of concern as well, assuming the '17 has a sticker already, it would be good through 1/1/22 (red sticker). New purple sticker is good through 1/1/23, if you wait until January to apply, the new sticker would be good through 1/1/24 (and whatever color it will be, it will look better than the purple).

How many miles are on the used 3? It's a big difference if it has 5,000 miles vs 35,000 miles. Does the RWD have the same features you are getting on the new? By the price, I am assuming FSD. 19" wheels? White interior will only be in new.

Have you checked to see if Tesla has any new LR RWD? I am not sure if those are still available off-menu. Also, depending on your income situation, you may be able to qualify for an additional $2,500 CA CVRP for a new 3.

If carpool sticker is of concern as well, assuming the '17 has a sticker already, it would be good through 1/1/22 (red sticker). New purple sticker is good through 1/1/23, if you wait until January to apply, the new sticker would be good through 1/1/24 (and whatever color it will be, it will look better than the purple).

The used RWD has about 7k miles. No FSD. 19" wheels.

The new awd order, if still alive, has the white interior and 19" wheels for a pre-tax, pre-fee price of 52.4k. Also no FSD.

I am fine driving a slightly worse car, I'm now really just more concerned with the resale and if people will feel comfortable buying this in 3-5 years.

My belief is California has massive benefits for going new so you are going to feel regret in the future.

On top of 3750 Federal,

1.) 2500 California CVRP
2.) PGE / Edison Rebate
3.) HOV sticker

I’m on the total opposite coast, but what does the PGE rebate look like?

Here in the land of blueberries (and Tony Soprano) we don’t pay sales tax, and have access to the few HOV lanes (no sticker needed) ... but no love from our energy companies. Just curious what the CA ones are offering!

How long will you keep it? '17 should have free supercharging and premium connectivity included for life. There have been running changes to suspension and seats, too. LR is more efficient on the road, AWD accelerates faster from low speeds. If you add FSD to the '17 then it will be upgraded to the FSD computer that is included in current builds.

I just got a new order LR RWD on order. It's going to be $47,500 minus the $3750 federal credit. If CA ups the state ev, $2500 rebate. Then an extra $1000 off with SCE, the utility. So overall I'll be at $44,000 after doc and taxes.

Tesla isn't really accounting for any depreciation on their used cars, and I wouldn't buy it if I had the choice. Definitely not worth it for the time being.

I’m on the total opposite coast, but what does the PGE rebate look like?

Here in the land of blueberries (and Tony Soprano) we don’t pay sales tax, and have access to the few HOV lanes (no sticker needed) ... but no love from our energy companies. Just curious what the CA ones are offering!

800-1000 utility rebate.

You win with no sales tax.

Reactions: dmurphy
How long will you keep it? '17 should have free supercharging and premium connectivity included for life. There have been running changes to suspension and seats, too. LR is more efficient on the road, AWD accelerates faster from low speeds. If you add FSD to the '17 then it will be upgraded to the FSD computer that is included in current builds.

Premium connectivity, yes (worth $100 per year assuming Tesla ever starts charging it); free supercharging, no (Tesla didn't start offering free supercharging until after mid-2018, and the early Performance vehicles were the only ones that had lifetime free which many exchanged for the $5k).

Reactions: C141medic
Find a LR RWD inventory (don’t know how hard that is in Calif) and you need to move quickly.

Bet you can find some deals if you walk in right now til end of quarter.

I would not take an early build Model 3.
Lots of changes/fixes since then.

800-1000 utility rebate.

You win with no sales tax.

Just like a nursing home ... “That’s a lot of depends” ..

On a P, or an optioned up LR AWD, yes.

But on a SR or SR+, you win. Even a RWD or lower AWD.

$2500 state + $1k energy is pretty nice.

Our sales tax is 6.625% in NJ, so on an SR+ at $39,900, that’s only $2,643.38 in savings here. You win.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
Premium connectivity, yes (worth $100 per year assuming Tesla ever starts charging it); free supercharging, no (Tesla didn't start offering free supercharging until after mid-2018, and the early Performance vehicles were the only ones that had lifetime free which many exchanged for the $5k).

@TT97 did the early p3d’s have transferable lifetime free supercharging or was it only for the first owner ?

Just like a nursing home ... “That’s a lot of depends” ..

On a P, or an optioned up LR AWD, yes.

But on a SR or SR+, you win. Even a RWD or lower AWD.

$2500 state + $1k energy is pretty nice.

Our sales tax is 6.625% in NJ, so on an SR+ at $39,900, that’s only $2,643.38 in savings here. You win.

Lmao you are going to hell with that first paragraph.

Though sometimes the best humor is real life.

Depends... nursing homes.. chill mode - not looking forward to the end of the 21st century. :(

Spending more to save more is not the best financial strategy but the loaded model s and x buyers are cleaning up over there!

@TT97 did the early p3d’s have transferable lifetime free supercharging or was it only for the first owner ?

None transferable and you paid too much for that privilege. The pre October P M3 were ultra expensive compared to the price today.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
Lmao you are going to hell with that first paragraph.

Though sometimes the best humor is real life.

Depends... nursing homes.. chill mode - not looking forward to the end of the 21st century. :(

Spending more to save more is not the best financial strategy but the loaded model s and x buyers are cleaning up over there!

I don’t want to go to heaven, anyway. Won’t know anyone there! But yes - we all have to take life in stride.... it really is good for the soul. I’m not looking forward to the back half of the century either. I won’t see another century rollover, so I’ve gotta live in this one!

All the more reason to enjoy what we can, when we can. I don’t always make the most fiscally conservative decisions but I sure do enjoy life while I can!

Thanks for the advice friends. I was able to un-cancel my new order.
I think what really did it for me was the lack of depreciation priced in to the used car. Only 5k off for 2 years of age does not make sense.
I want a prospective buyer to see "okay, 2019, completely standard long range model 3, has FSD computer"
Instead of "wtf? Did they make 2017 model 3s? Why is the long range RWD?" and then I have to convince them to pay me nearly as much as they would for a 2018