Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To close this out, I worked with a body shop to get the bumper plugs. $3 for the parts and $30 to paint them. I think I can live with this, plus I can always add the license plate frame back if I get a fix it ticket.

IMG_1206.JPG

Reactions: Nismode
I see the OP is from SoCal. I no longer live in California but when I did I'm sure I was required to have a front plate. If that's the legal requirement, why should't a California dealer drill the holes? I realize some people ignore laws as I did twenty years ago when I had "illegal" extra dark side window tint and got a fix-it ticket from a CHIP very soon after the install. Doesn't this happen re missing front plates?

It's still a requirement in CA to have a front plate but dealers are not required to put it on. Normally the dealer will have you sign a form stating that you did not want to have a front plate on so that they're not liable for anything. Guessing since Telsa isn't a car dealership, they did not provide such a form and left my front plate bracket/bolts in the frunk when I picked mine up from the factory.

Model X was tested without front plate which is why it is optional on the X.
I don't want to take over your thread, if you will.
I thought this was the oddest thing while researching the X...
Is there a reason why the NHTSA crash info and rating for the Model X has not been made available? Tesla did there own testing... but what is missing is NHTSA's actual crash ratings for the X. Corrections welcome ;-)

Now back to the license plate issue... I took the time at the showroom in Oregon this last week and asked a sales person who fills in at delivery time (high volume, at the end of the quarter) the question about the front plate. He told me that he had not seen a plate installed on an X -- unless requested. I do appreciate the heads up on this thread -- and will have my order specified w/o the plate.