Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 - Front USB ports neither Working!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi There,

Picked up a second hand 2017 Model S 100D - Irritatingly neither of the front USB ports work for power or for music. The rear passenger USB ports are lit and work fine (Don't appear to do data). The 12V cigarette style port also fine.

I'm thinking probably fuse though I've yet to find anything obvious!

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/fuse-box-pdf.433799/ Is a PDF of the fuses. Both Frunk and Right hand side footwell (Same on the UK it seems, though the pedals get in the way slightly)
Nothing on the fuse list says USB - A quick go with a multimeter and they seemed OK, but if anyone knows the specific fuse here, I could try a swap anyway

Any other ideas most gratefully welcome - I've tried looking and pulling the odd trim on the factory fitted console (there a PDF for the retrofit one, helpful, but different) but have yet to find anything obvious or even quite where the USB ports go to (All the way to the MCU or is there an interface)

I did find a curious powered fan thing above the USB ports in the console behind a kind of speaker pattern of holes. No idea what it is!
Also found the Data port when removing the cubby along with a loose aerial type connector (Maybe CAN) but nothing to plug into, so probably loose on purpose.

Would *REALLY* like to USB music working as Spotify is great, but data isn't always there (GF lives in the boonies) and UK radio Irks with adverts. I've listened to a few audiobooks since getting the car though!

Ta,
Lee

Check F207 in the cabin fuse box. It's not labeled as for the USB hub, but it is on the Model X. Fuses and Current Protection – TeslaTap So I'm not sure this is the right fuse.

Just pulled F207 - Tests fine with a Multi meter - I may swap it with one of the fuses in 208/209 that's 15a, which appear to be populated spares, just in case, but it IS looking like the hub or a connection into it :(

Could be the USB hub has failed too.

Any idea where the USB hub is?
I've found a youtube video of a retrofit of the 2nd gen console that mine has, but it doesn't appear to be in anything i've seen there. There's a nice PDF service bulletin too - However I'm wondering if it is actually IN the MCU (currently V1) as there's certainly USB ports there!

The fan is for the HVAC temperature monitor. The fan draws in air to the sensor.

I did have it out when hunting around for what i could see. Gave it a good blow to remove some dust. Interesting idea

Hmm This Teslatap Article on extending the USB ports seems to got to the back of the MCU - Removal in a video here, looks fun, but also reasonably doable, though I may wait for warmer weather or a point i can bring the car into my factory.

I am tempted to pop the cubby and see if I can see anything with a cheap inspection camera I have , though I think to see anything you need to route arround over the bottom of the MCU1 heat sink bump.

Having the connectors on the bottom of the unit, like the MCU2 would have been smart, and obviously was in the redesign!

Digging through the parts catalog, there is the ASY,USB HUB WITH WI-FI, Part number: 1042829-00-F. The diagram is not entirely clear where the hub is mounted, but it looks to be close to the two USB connectors in the console. Also, it could be just a cable is not connected either to the hub or to the MCU. The schematics do not show the hub data connection to the MCU. Not sure what to make of that. You may want to dig through the parts catalog. Parts Catalog

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I found this on a different site, as the Telsa one is hard to link/ref for that, which shows Model S and the hub so there certainly *IS* a hub in the 2017 S, even on my actual VIN. Quite what it does and where it is however ???

Doing a google search on the various parts on that diagram, I found a few other images and photos, but not a massive amount of info. Some of the cables, the USB ports and bracket etc. Interestingly if you click and download the SVG image from the Tesla parts, it is MASSIVE and far easier to look at!

I did find THIS from a parts site. It's Model X (Which is the most common designation for the hub on parts sites ?) it has been VERY crudely removed and as such has some of the cables in situ - The USB ports on it appear to be the lighted ones, which are passive power in the rear of the 2017 MS. The other wires are alas cut. The hub could be for the passive ports, which would be a disappointing dead end

Guess I'm going to have to go searching in the console again - I think it is going to be in the back part, which I did have partially off at one point. it's mostly clips and stuff so pretty reasonable - I seem to recall the back face plate for the rear pop out cupholders stumped me in how it detached and you needed to get that off to remove various parts of the rear console trim!

Going away today for the weekend, so I won't do my curiosity trick of taking things apart and having to rush to get them back together to make the car useable - I've downloaded a load of music to the phone, so BT music it'll have to be for now 🤣

Thanks again for the help - I tend to add info on these threads as I go, useful for others, but also great to refresh my memory if needed!

Finally got to have another play for an hour.

Using THIS for numbers

The back ports are pretty reasonable to access. The hardest bit is the cup holder cover (26) and finding the clips underneath to pop off.
Then it's pretty easy to pop the facia panel off the usb ports (19), which hide the lit ports.
The lower cover (22) is another load of clips, and has one that you need to remove the side panel (8) bit at the top for, but pretty reasonable and with the Cup holder facia off you've got access to pop the wires from the USB EMBEDDED DUAL PORT CHARGER - 1080669-00-A, which is hidden behind the cover (22)!!!
Single wire in, for power at a guess, and then dual USBs off. Pretty simple, but NOT what i was looking for :(

Since I had part of the side panel (8) off, i wondered how far i could get it off without removing the console and what that would give me, It's tricky and awkward but possible to take off in the car, back and forth with the seat, all the clips and then, wiggle out the back

There's a carpet trim/kick plate at the front and i also removed this. It gives a nice full look into the console, but shows remarkably little from the drivers side (RHD UK)

I did notice down at the front bottom a pair of cables, with a pair of ports CABLE, USB FRONT OUTLETS - 1004815-07-D and CABLE, USB, MCU TO FEMALE CONNECTOR - 1004815-08-B

Looking at the 1004815-07-D and a most auction type sites seem to have the USB outlets on the cable, so *IF* this mystic USB hub (1042829-00-F) is in my S, then I'm thinking forwards of the console, but the 07-D cable label seems to say MCU o_O

I've got a 07-D cable/ports on order. ~£45 Unsure if it'll do much, but there's a chance and it's a low value check, and i can plug it in down in the footwell and see if I get anything.

I did try my inspection camera (long wire, thin, with light) and it was pretty tricky to try and follow the cables, looking at some of the pics i took, vs a net search on the MCU1 and it seems the USB ports are on the opposite side of the MCU, so i may do another investigate just to see if they're disconnected at the MCU end, unlikely, but, worth a shot too.

• Helpful
Yep, there are two USB ports on the back of MCU2/MCU1 left side. It's a Mini USB-B connector (female on the MCU, male on the cable). These are not all that common. I just bought a cable to go from my bench MCU to a USB drive. The left one in the picture goes into the MCU.
710q-bIeLNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Helpful
I've got a 07-D cable/ports on order. ~£45 Unsure if it'll do much, but there's a chance and it's a low value check, and i can plug it in down in the footwell and see if I get anything.

The pair of cables and ports (Media Hub, USB Ports - 1004815-01-B) turned up today, popped the footwell panel and plugged them into the MCU extension cable ports and irritatingly, no difference - 99% sure the wires in the console are fine, plugged into the ports etc.

Tried a reboot with the new port/cables, too, you know, just in case

It's going to take some investigation towards the MCU, slim chance they're unplugged at the MCU end, though these locking ports are pretty positive

I've included a pic of the USB extension ports on my 2017 S, these are in the drivers side footwell (UK), console side, which would be an ideal point for a USB break out cable to hide an SSD or similar in this car!

USB-extension.jpg

• Helpful
OK.....Think I've found the culprit - Not plugged in at the MCU end - No idea quite why, but inspection with my cheap endocam unit, after removing the cubby hole and a fair bit of twisting and looking and here we go!

PICT0023-crop.jpg

Above those green port cables, the USB is obviously not connected - Was pretty tricky to capture the photo, but moving arround and neither were.

Curiously on the other side The blue GPS one isn't connected either, not sure why or what this effects as i've certainly got GPS things happening in the car!
I do wonder if I can get to the back of the MCU1 ( 3 wide port connector version) without pulling the whole thing out.....Let's see how much car i need to disassemble to sort this!!!

• Helpful
Using this Youtube Video which is MCU replacement and a bit beyond what i wanted to do, I started removing a few bits. The lower trims, Glovebox and a few other bits and found the cables, but it was too tight to get them up into position. I ended up loosening the upper dash trim, removing the vents and getting to the top MCU screws. I loosened these, removed the two sides and could with some effort and skimmed knuckles, get the cables back up into position and then rotate them round and feel the click positively into place. Interestingly I had a couple of MCU side screw shims which were a white material, maybe even glass fibre, they had an odd triangle shape hole.

All in a tricky job, but actually NOT that bad once you get into things. Popping side trims and bits earlier on and watching the vids gave me the confidence in clip popping, which is probably the hardest bit to get your head around when working with a Tesla. the clips work surprisingly well and allow you access into things a lot quicker than a lot of other cars i've worked on!

A set of long Torque screwdrivers is a blessing too, some of the screws need a long bit, when going up the side of the steering wheel or the ones in the glovebox. A power driver would be nice with a long head, but all in, there isn't as many screws as you expect there should be because of the clips!

Front USB ports both working and reading data off a USB drive. MP3 certainly working. Unsure about flac but my old media player hack for my D3 Audi A8 required the extension FLA not FLAC so i may need to change the file extensions back

Wow I think I might have the same problem. Both my front USB don’t work. Was it only one cable in the back of the McU that needed to be plugged?

There are two cables, one for each port. I would check the two cables in post 10 before trying to get to the back of the MCU as that's quite an involved job. Not hard, just lots to remove to get it to a loose enough position to get a hand around to feel and then it's also tricky to get the cables into the back.

Checking the tunnel junction cables is a LOT easier and you may get lucky. If I was to spur off an SSD or something for the glovebox, that's where I'd do it from - I think it is HIGHLY unlikely that the cables "fell out" but were removed manually for some reason or accidentally left out from an upgrade MCU/memory fix

Long story short, I just bought a used 2019 model S and staring to find all these problems. There is water intrusion into driver and passenger foot area. Might explain maybe the usb connectors are possibly corroded? Maybe the water leak is from the hvac. I can’t pull apart both usb connectors at that junction., but the usb pair in the rear is working