Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Gen 4 to 2015 Gen 3 Seat swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going to take a crack at putting the drivers seat from my wife's 15 85D in my 17 P100D tomorrow. I checked the plugs, they look the same, but mine has a third hers does not have a plug for. My hope is it's just for the head rest adjust which she doesn't have now so she won't miss. The bolsters on Gen 4 seats are intolerably tight for me. Gen 3 is perfect. I'm not large either. 6'2, 200.

Anyway, wanted to see if anyone had tips on removing the little plastic covers over the torx bolts before I tackle this tomorrow.

Welp, if anyone searches it, it can't really be done. Gen 3 seats work fine in a newer car, gen 4 seats do not work in an older car. The memory setting stopped working, which wasn't the end of the world... then I realized so did the steering stalk adjuster. It wouldn't respond at all.

BUT, what I did find is the gen4 seats back bolsters can be shaved pretty easily. If you dig deep into the crevice where the back and side bolsters meet there is a little lip you can flip up to peel back the gen 4 seat side bolster and shave away. I went at it with an angle grinder; looks like *sugar* on the foam but feels absolutely perfect under the leather.

Welp, if anyone searches it, it can't really be done. Gen 3 seats work fine in a newer car, gen 4 seats do not work in an older car. The memory setting stopped working, which wasn't the end of the world... then I realized so did the steering stalk adjuster. It wouldn't respond at all.

BUT, what I did find is the gen4 seats back bolsters can be shaved pretty easily. If you dig deep into the crevice where the back and side bolsters meet there is a little lip you can flip up to peel back the gen 4 seat side bolster and shave away. I went at it with an angle grinder; looks like *sugar* on the foam but feels absolutely perfect under the leather.

Hi. Downgrading from gen 4 to 3. Do you know is seat heating will continue working as the gen 4 has an extra cable. I found out this is the heating. Bedankt

Going to take a crack at putting the drivers seat from my wife's 15 85D in my 17 P100D tomorrow. I checked the plugs, they look the same, but mine has a third hers does not have a plug for. My hope is it's just for the head rest adjust which she doesn't have now so she won't miss. The bolsters on Gen 4 seats are intolerably tight for me. Gen 3 is perfect. I'm not large either. 6'2, 200.

Anyway, wanted to see if anyone had tips on removing the little plastic covers over the torx bolts before I tackle this tomorrow.
The 3rd wire is seat heating. Did you swap and is the seat heating working