Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need four wheel drive and the reference model 3 does not have 4 wheel drive or a towing package.
The pickup shown has leather seating and comes in more than one color. It will haul dirt as is. It is the most honest, best reference to the $50K Model 3. It also shows list price. I would suggest that you look in the mirror on the integrity call.

Also, your "awh shucks" supposition of fraud when selling fraud yourself, says you're done.

Caveat: pure opinion and anecdotal evidence follows.

If someone says a King Ranch and dirt hauling, I'm going to assume 4 WD and tow package. (Only people I know with a greater than half ton haul horses, hay, etc, and live where there is snow)
As a Tesla want-to-own, I commute in a pickup (<10 miles each way, 2002 so paid off). Even with that commute in summer, I would not want 2wd. Unless you load extra weight bags in the bed, there is no acceleration/ cornering ability. Whenever I forget to put it in AWD before a right on red, or going through a roundabout, I am quickly reminded of my mistake.

So, I do not think it unreasonable that a person would assume a high trim, > half ton truck that also hauls dirt would have 4wd at a minimum, and towing for toy hauling.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and 22522
actually... the misunderstanding is that you think I don't understand what growth means... i am completely aware that Tesla grew from 50k/yr to 75k/yr... and what I believe you are NOT aware of is that has no reflection on the probability of success in growing from 100k/yr to 500k/yr just as that has no reflection on the probability of success in growing from 1m/yr to 2m/yr.

you get that?... you think since Tesla built an extra 25k cars last year... it's all gravy from here.

I don't... I think their growth RATE is NOT flat... but will rapidly decline over time... they will NOT grow at 50% yoy for 10 years... I believe it's insane to expect that.

I think IF they become the size of BMW... it won't be until 2025... and by then there will be so much competition, they'll simply be "just another" auto company.

so why would I want to pay BMW price for TSLA... 5 to 7 YEARS IN ADVANCE... ahead of all of the risks that could drop the stock to zero overnight?

only one reason... that anticitizen pointed out... high risk disposable cash for a lottery ticket... considering this stock to be anything better than that is naive... but that being the case... you might as well buy options since 3x or 10x is silly if you're playing the lottery with small amounts of money.

Excluding mini, BMW at most had should roughly 2M cars world wide in 2016. Model S/X dominate their segments vs 6 and 7 series cars and SUVs. There is no reason to think that model 3 won't dominate the mid sized segment where the 3 series currently does well.

BMW Group achieves sixth consecutive all-time sales high and remains world’s leading premium car company

Is it your contention that Tesla is not dominating the large luxury sedans and sport luxury SUV market segments? Why can dozens of car companies make so many cars and it's impossible for Tesla? Can Tesla not hire the same people? Can Tesla not hire/buy grohmann to help them? Can Tesla not buy from the same suppliers? These are what I would call rhetorical questions, I already know the answer. Tesla isn't going to be in production hell because they are trying to make a mass market car, they could have thrown bodies and money at the problem like traditional manufacturers. But they refuse to that as it would mean low margins, like those BMW earns on the 3 series. They are in production hell because they are inventing a new production paradigm to go with the car to improve and lower manufacturing costs through automation. You can't just throw bodies at it, you need to solve thousands of automation problems that will come up over the next few months. Tesla knows this because they have done a lot of that already with S/X. The model 3 takes this one step farther with a simplified design and more automation. Roughly 4x the robots on a single line when compared to S. This is all to speed the line up. Once it's dialed in, they will duplicate persons of the line where things slow down to allow the entire system to run faster and faster. No one staff this was going to be easy, but it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when and how much it will cost. The costs at this point a fairly well known and would only increase if there are significant issues, such as falcon wing doors. Which is why the 3 doesn't have any gotcha tech on it. The only thing remotely new is the hvac system which I assume was changed to actually simplify it and make it easier to manufacture, just like the rest of the car.

Betting that Tesla will but succeed to deliver 500,000+ cars over the next 12-18 months is a bad bet. Tesla has proved that they can deliver 50+% YoY grown and there is no reason to think that adding a simplified and more automated car would decrease that growth. Model X just recently got through this production hell and now but S/X are maturing. The goal would be 2M cars per year and Fremont maxes out at 1M so Tesla is going to need another factory. Expect an easy coast gigafactory with both battery and car production for the Y coming in 2019 to get you to 2M cars or year by 2021 at the very latest.

If you are going to say they can't do it, you need to explain why. It's hard is not a good reason. Elon is stressed out is not a good reason. Companies do it all the time, Tesla can hire these folks, work with the same suppliers and can leverage grohmann for automation. Building cars is hard because they are capital intensive, Tesla had no problem getting access to capital, none, though execution on the 3 means they won't NEED to. If you're betting on the model 3 ramp failing, you are a braver man/lady then I am. If yeah has proven anything, they won't quit and they won't slack and model x should be the model for what they are capable of. They manufactured the in manufacturable, per Bob Lutz. And now the X is set to surpass the S now that all the kinks are worked out, and remember I own an X so I know first hand that it's a great car. Results matter, period. You dwell on meaningless minutia and your only argument is that they can't do it.

Unless your are saying the demand is not there? You would have to be a complete fool if you think that. There are millions are cars sold in the market segment where the model 3 will complete. From the base Camry up to the BMW M3 and even base 5 series and E class. The Y will compete in even bigger markets. Have you driven a Tesla yet? Probably a good idea if you are betting so much against them.

Excluding mini, BMW at most had should roughly 2M cars world wide in 2016. Model S/X dominate their segments vs 6 and 7 series cars and SUVs. There is no reason to think that model 3 won't dominate the mid sized segment where the 3 series currently does well.

BMW Group achieves sixth consecutive all-time sales high and remains world’s leading premium car company

Is it your contention that Tesla is not dominating the large luxury sedans and sport luxury SUV market segments? Why can dozens of car companies make so many cars and it's impossible for Tesla? Can Tesla not hire the same people? Can Tesla not hire/buy grohmann to help them? Can Tesla not buy from the same suppliers? These are what I would call rhetorical questions, I already know the answer. Tesla isn't going to be in production hell because they are trying to make a mass market car, they could have thrown bodies and money at the problem like traditional manufacturers. But they refuse to that as it would mean low margins, like those BMW earns on the 3 series. They are in production hell because they are inventing a new production paradigm to go with the car to improve and lower manufacturing costs through automation. You can't just throw bodies at it, you need to solve thousands of automation problems that will come up over the next few months. Tesla knows this because they have done a lot of that already with S/X. The model 3 takes this one step farther with a simplified design and more automation. Roughly 4x the robots on a single line when compared to S. This is all to speed the line up. Once it's dialed in, they will duplicate persons of the line where things slow down to allow the entire system to run faster and faster. No one staff this was going to be easy, but it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when and how much it will cost. The costs at this point a fairly well known and would only increase if there are significant issues, such as falcon wing doors. Which is why the 3 doesn't have any gotcha tech on it. The only thing remotely new is the hvac system which I assume was changed to actually simplify it and make it easier to manufacture, just like the rest of the car.

Betting that Tesla will but succeed to deliver 500,000+ cars over the next 12-18 months is a bad bet. Tesla has proved that they can deliver 50+% YoY grown and there is no reason to think that adding a simplified and more automated car would decrease that growth. Model X just recently got through this production hell and now but S/X are maturing. The goal would be 2M cars per year and Fremont maxes out at 1M so Tesla is going to need another factory. Expect an easy coast gigafactory with both battery and car production for the Y coming in 2019 to get you to 2M cars or year by 2021 at the very latest.

If you are going to say they can't do it, you need to explain why. It's hard is not a good reason. Elon is stressed out is not a good reason. Companies do it all the time, Tesla can hire these folks, work with the same suppliers and can leverage grohmann for automation. Building cars is hard because they are capital intensive, Tesla had no problem getting access to capital, none, though execution on the 3 means they won't NEED to. If you're betting on the model 3 ramp failing, you are a braver man/lady then I am. If yeah has proven anything, they won't quit and they won't slack and model x should be the model for what they are capable of. They manufactured the in manufacturable, per Bob Lutz. And now the X is set to surpass the S now that all the kinks are worked out, and remember I own an X so I know first hand that it's a great car. Results matter, period. You dwell on meaningless minutia and your only argument is that they can't do it.

Unless your are saying the demand is not there? You would have to be a complete fool if you think that. There are millions are cars sold in the market segment where the model 3 will complete. From the base Camry up to the BMW M3 and even base 5 series and E class. The Y will compete in even bigger markets. Have you driven a Tesla yet? Probably a good idea if you are betting so much against them.
dude... you did not get or read what I said...

50% yoy on the ridiculously ambitious goals Elon's set look like this:

2021: 1m cars delivered
2023: 2m cars delivered

my point is this... first the odds that will not be met are HIGH... so let's set an upper target of 2025... that means Tesla will become the size of BMW in 5 to 7 years... which is exactly what I said... and 2025 is STILL ambitious.

now consider Tesla would have only "disrupted" less than 1% of the auto market... meaning, they would continue as normal... investing their typical R&D with ramps like Audi just announced... and by the time Tesla even gets to BMW size, EVERY SINGLE AUTO MANUFACTURER will be pumping out EVs... or Tesla will have failed and they won't have to... either way Tesla does not grow 50% yoy beyond 2020... and what are you left with?

an auto company with typical growth... which valued today would warrant a market cap of $40B or less.

one thing that's interesting... i'm no longer getting the argument: "but you don't get it... Tesla Energy is just about to explode!"

which feeds into my theory that Tesla is about to start being valued as an auto company.

This would also allow them to control costs and supply and could give them an insurmountable advantage as it relates to the Tesla network.

Totally agree. And Tesla Network is the biggest prize of them all.

One additional insurmountable advantage that Tesla has: by the time autonomous driving clears all regulatory hurdles, there will be millions of Tesla Network capable cars on the road, many ready to be sold at discounted used car prices for exclusive use in TN and others for shared use. Any competitor even ready to compete with Tesla on the autonomous driving technology still has to manufacture a fleet from a standing start. Good luck with that.

So out of curiousity, I built a BMW 320i with silver paint and other features that would (I think) make it somewhat comparable to the base Model 3 (I have included the 0-60 spec, and mpg):

View attachment 238719

View attachment 238720

Notice the split fold down rear seat is an option on the BMW. Had to include Nav system to make it comparable to Model 3's screen, and the Driver Assistance Package on the BMW is NOT Autopilot. Just basic stuff to help you park and back up and stuff. I added the paint because that's what I like. Note on the BMW it is 700 dollars.

So a comparable BMW to the base Model 3 is more expensive. Not including gas charges, oil changes, etc... That being said, BMW basic maintenance is included for 4 years/50k miles. That does NOT include wheel alignment (at least 200 per year depending on dealership).
I think the 320i is not the BMW comparable... but instead the 330i... this is the very base model... and what you consider deficiencies others may consider benefits... when optioned up to $50k, this is an incredible vehicle... i know, this is what I drive (not white):

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 6.31.53 AM.png

I think the 320i is not the BMW comparable... but instead the 330i... this is the very base model... and what you consider deficiencies others may consider benefits... when optioned up to $50k, this is an incredible vehicle... i know, this is what I drive (not white):

View attachment 239110

This "incredible vehicle" US sales in 2016 dropped by 24.4%. This was a warning shot across the bow triggered by opening reservations for Model 3. The remaining 75.6% are about to be decimated further as Model 3 deliveries are being started and ramped up. Take that as a risk.

Your hyperactive mumbling coincident with the M3 event last week speaks for itself. I am impressed. Consistent pissing against the wind is pretty heroic effort on your part. PM me if you ever need a reference.

Last edited:
@mmd and @myusername -

This is a challenge.

What are your Model 3 unit, gross margin, and R&D expense projections for 3Q17, 4Q17, 1Q18, and 2Q18?

Neither @mmd nor @myusername want to put specific numbers out there. This is my shocked face :rolleyes:

Is it because Tesla has absolutely crushed any estimates bears have put forth, so they would rather stick to petty fear mongering? When Model S was released, they predicted it would never sell more than 15,000-20,000 units per year. Today Tesla produces and sells that many every quarter. When Model 3 reservations surged over 300,000 in one day, they predicted it would never come to market, and even if it did, it would never sell for a profit. Reservations have surged over 500,000 and expert reviews are unanimously positive. When GM said it was coming out with Bolt a year earlier than Model 3, they predicted Bolt would crush Model 3 (really?!).

Do you want to see specifics? Sure, I got them for you. This is what Montana Skeptic predicted last year for Model X:

----------
3. Model X Forecast Beyond Q2: Dropping Off a Cliff

The real bad news about the Model X deliveries is not that Q2 deliveries will be, at best, 6,200. The real bad news is that Q2's delivery number, whatever it is, will be as good as it gets. Since last September's "reveal," net new orders worldwide appear to be coming in at the rate of about 250 per month. Unless something changes, and changes soon, Tesla will burn through its remaining backlog in Q3, and it's downhill from there.
----------

The stock is up more than $100 per share since that prediction. Same story, different day. Shorts will get crushed, again. Bring it on.

Last edited:
You don't need four wheel drive and the reference model 3 does not have 4 wheel drive or a towing package.
The pickup shown has leather seating and comes in more than one color. It will haul dirt as is. It is the most honest, best reference to the $50K Model 3. It also shows list price. I would suggest that you look in the mirror on the integrity call.
Also, your "awh shucks" supposition of fraud when selling fraud yourself, says you're done.<===You must be new around here.

dude... you did not get or read what I said...

Provide actual facts and I will actually read what you post. All you ever say is that its not possible and its to hard and no one can do it and blah blah. At least, for the love of everything that is holy, drive the damn car before making another dumb post about how great the BMW 330i is.

EVERY SINGLE AUTO MANUFACTURER

Where are they going to get the batteries smart guy. Your analysis has to be smarter then just saying it will happen. I will give you a clue from someone who has looked into the competition, they wont get the batteries unless they make them. and they have no plans or technology of any significance to do so. Not that they are behind Tesla and just need to catch up, they havnt even started. Even IF, they had the batteries, they dont have the charging network. Where are all these magical cars going to charge?

50% yoy on the ridiculously ambitious goals Elon's set look like this:

2021: 1m cars delivered
2023: 2m cars delivered

Tesla has grown deliveries more then 50% year year since 2012. Just saying its ridiculous again is meaningless when you dont explain why. Why in the world would I take what you say as anything but lies when the stock is 10 fold over that time period. Are you the only smart person alive because the majority of everyone else is pushing the stock higher.

You keep stating things as facts, but the history paints a very different picture. I dont believe a word Elon says, but I can see what has happened in the past and project what is possible in the future based on that. All you can do is say that it wont happen because uhg, because it wont!

BMW is a joke, you are a joke and neither of you are in on the punch line. BMW could have been Tesla, but they where not smart enough. You could have made money betting on Tesla, but you are not smart enough. You should have been long for the last 10 years at least, then I would at least think you had some credibility. You come on this forum an mouth off like a big man, but in reality you are just to lazy to do some research. When and only when there are dozens of 5B+ factories to build batteries in the US and Europe, not China because China wont be exporting batteries for at least a decade. Not until you start to see an actually plan with some actual teeth can you assume and it is just an assumption, that there will be ANY competition. And they dont just need batteries, they need to build a charging network. Its not an option, its mandatory. This stuff requires actual action, like real permits and real disclosures to stock holders and real dirt being moved. Until then, its all a figment of yours and their imagination.

I again ask you, WHY Tesla cannot make 2M cars a year by 2021, and while doing so, crush BMW under its boot? WHY is the question, not that you assume its unlikely because of (fart noise).

I get your goal is not to actually have cogent arguments, but rather to sow doubt and despair, but no one here is going to just buy your crap without actual facts that backs up what you are saying.

Is it unlikely, about as unlikely as taking over the rocket industry from nothing in 10 years going against one of the most powerful group of companies on the planet. Though they are not as despicable as the auto industry and dealer network, they still do not play fair.

Here is another clue for you since you like numbers. Tesla does not have to sell 2M cars (where BMW has been stuck for years) to be bigger then BMW. BMW has GM of ~18%, Tesla only has to sell 1,250,000 cars in a year at 30% GM to surpass BMW. The difference is that by the time that happens, BMW will be selling 1M cars and Tesla wont be stopping at 1,250,000 cars per year. And why do I assume that? Because I have seen what S/X has done to the other BMW flagship cars, and higher margin cars I might add.

How do I know this will happen, because its already started to happen vs 5-Series and 7-Series as well as the X6 in the SUV segment. Where is your proof that it wont happen against the 3-Series? Is it just because you own a 330i and like it so no one else will buy a Model 3? I mean, we need more facts then that to believe you.

BTW, I think 50% growth is tepid, clearly. 100k to 500K is actually 500% YoY growth. This is more inline with what I suspect. I base this on historical proof of every accelerating success. I mean, Tesla is spending 5B on Battery manufacturing and Fremont to build something, not because its fun. Where is BMW's investment in a battery factory to make a million EVs by 2020? I mean they and everyone else is coming out with dozens of cars each and all targeting 2020. They must be well into building battery factories at this point right? I mean someone somewhere should be building batteries for this push right? LG is one of the biggest battery manufactures in the world and is increasing their output for auto by 50%!!! from 20,000 to 30,000 (Wah wah.. dud). That should do it. I hear Samsung has a 21-70 battery, they must be building a 10 million sq ft factory to build them for all these mythical 2020 cars? Where is your PROOF and FACTS that competition is coming? And why would they be able to build better cars then they build today. I think its a big assumption that they can actually make a nice car even if they had the batteries, charging network and technology. They just flat out do not have any of it and have no concrete plans besides a mock up of a mythical 2020 car.

I have a prediction for you.. Stock holders are going to start throwing those bums out as the heads of those companies for sitting on their hands (Just like Ford just did). I mean they are paying FUDsters, but that's not really a plan to counter Tesla. Hoping Tesla fails is not an actual plan. I am sure they can find some young innovative people to lead them into the future, I mean Steve Jobsian guys can just be found at the local coffee shops. If a bipolar crazy person can do it, any guy with a soul patch at local coffee shop should suffice.

Your equation is flawed, you assume BMW and Daimler will be bigger or the same size in 5 years. You assume that they can make batteries for 0 dollars of expense and require no R&D to make a completely new mass market vehicle. I guess they could just strap a battery back to a 3-series and call it good. I mean making cars is really simple for these guys. The only thing that makes them profitable is that they have been making the same car for decades with only minute incremental improvements. Now you assume they are going to make a complete new product that they have never made and not incur any additional costs. these are companies with massive liabilities and massive legacy employee issues. I would guess that the German companies cant even fire the engine makers, you cant fire employees in Germany, you have to wait for them to retire. Maybe they can retrain them all to make batteries.

Im pretty much done with you until you start to actually come up with some facts and not just whining that its not possible, because it is possible and for Elon that means probable.

This "incredible vehicle" US sales in 2016 dropped by 24.4%. This was a warning shot across the bow triggered by opening reservations for Model 3. The remaining 75.6% are about to be decimated further as Model 3 deliveries are being started and ramped up. Take that as a risk.

Your hyperactive mumbling coincident with the M3 event last week speaks for itself. I am impressed. Consistent pissing against the wind is pretty heroic effort on your part. PM me if you ever need a reference.

The 320i is absolute trash, but it serves its purpose-- to lock in aspiring brand buyers who always wanted a BMW. My buddy just got a 340i xDrive (actually a great car IMO, but not for the price) and got a great "deal" 60K out the door... Insanity.

I actually feel that Tesla's are now very comparable if not better value in the market. Back in 2012 when Model S first came out-- it really wasn't but people still ate it up since it's a special car. The difference now is, other manufacturers have increased their prices, got lazy with design, and Tesla technology has leapfrogged others.

Reactions: Krugerrand

um... BMW had a record year in 2016... the increase in vehicles sold between 2015 and 2016 was greater than ALL CARS TESLA HAS EVER SOLD.

you guys are ridiculous... how many cars does Tesla plan to make in 2020?... YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW... Elon hasn't even give guidance and you're like "BMW's dead!... VW's dead!... GM is dead!... because Tesla's gunna kill them all!"

or--
this is the impact Tesla is having because they're not...

You're likely right for the long run, but the poor sales reports from competitors today could also be negatively affecting TSLA shares. Although I suspect that derisking ahead of the earnings report is another consideration weighing on TSLA today. And Elon's twitter responses about his emotional highs and lows may not be helping. However that could be seen as a plus factor that drives him to achieve.

actually... the misunderstanding is that you think I don't understand what growth means... i am completely aware that Tesla grew from 50k/yr to 75k/yr... and what I believe you are NOT aware of is that has no reflection on the probability of success in growing from 100k/yr to 500k/yr just as that has no reflection on the probability of success in growing from 1m/yr to 2m/yr.

you get that?... you think since Tesla built an extra 25k cars last year... it's all gravy from here.

I don't... I think their growth RATE is NOT flat... but will rapidly decline over time... they will NOT grow at 50% yoy for 10 years... I believe it's insane to expect that.

I think IF they become the size of BMW... it won't be until 2025... and by then there will be so much competition, they'll simply be "just another" auto company.

so why would I want to pay BMW price for TSLA... 5 to 7 YEARS IN ADVANCE... ahead of all of the risks that could drop the stock to zero overnight?

only one reason... that anticitizen pointed out... high risk disposable cash for a lottery ticket... considering this stock to be anything better than that is naive... but that being the case... you might as well buy options since 3x or 10x is silly if you're playing the lottery with small amounts of money.
So you are betting that the growth rate will trail off fairly rapidly and I am betting that Tesla will maintain a growth rate 4x-7x that of BMW for at least 5 years. Why?

- Tesla builds products that consumers love. 500K deposits for an unreleased car is unheard of. You can try to explain it away with various forms of FUD, but the fact remains that if Model 3 wasn't wanted by consumers those deposits wouldn't exist.

- Tesla is widening its lead over the potential competition. Did you read the M3 first drive reviews? It's not just the electric drivetrain but also the handling, interior, packaging and electronics. Many reasons for consumers to buy as many as Tesla can produce.

- Tesla has several large market segments where they currently have no presence such as smaller CUVs, semis and pickups. As they introduce desirable products into these segments they will grow from zero to 10's of billions of $$ in each of these segments. That adds tremendously to the growth rate.

- Tesla executes much more rapidly than the traditional auto companies. Their employees are inspired and work much harder than their counterparts at GM or BMW. Like making sausage it is not pretty but the results are there. And when some of those employees get battle weary there are plenty of fresh troops clamoring to join the mission.

- The major risk I saw when I bet big on Tesla last year was whether they would have access to enough capital to complete the ambitious plans. That risk continues to diminish with successful execution.

As for my investment strategy I don't consider myself sophisticated enough to play the option game without risking missing out on the long term. But I have bet big.

You're assuming the company will not get to its stated year-end 2017 goal even by June 2018, even though they just repeated their goal four months before year-end and they don't seem to be having any major issues with it. That's like me saying I'll walk over to your place in 15 minutes, and you're assuming I'll get there until tomorrow. Do you realize how chaotic life would be if everyone operated with the same conservatism you just presented?

It's just par for the course with Tesla. In fact I am quite generous given their track record : Jul 31st 2014 Tesla was preducting a yearly run rate of 100k by the end of that year. It took nearly 18 months longer. We are at a similar date looking for a similar end of year prediction.

GAAP r&d will increase but won't just jump because majority of equity incentive plan options are already classified as "probable of achievement" so already being recognized over time. Read page 23 of latest 10-Q, which everyone should have on their nightstand. Knowledge is the antidote to FUD.

It's possible not all (important) option plans are mentioned in the 10-Q

Status
Not open for further replies.