Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The point being that it's only competitive on one axis: acceleration. The SR model is not competitive in terms of range. As a matter of fact, the 310 mile-range LR only gets you half way to the range of the 330i, yet weighs an additional 265 pounds.

Given the difference in weight is attributed solely the longer range model (not trim options), if you extrapolate that out to match the 330i's 427 mules of range it would take over 600 lbs of pack weight to do so,

The base Model 3 (not on sale today) has about 220 miles of range. The 3 on sale today is 310 to 334 miles range. That is 75% of the range of the 330i.

The base Model 3 (not on sale today) has about 220 miles of range.
Correct, that's the model that @vgrinshpun compared to the 330i:
vgrinshpun said:
Model 3 SR is essentially matching the weight of BMW with the same 0 to 60 time - 330i: 3549lbs for Model 3 vs 3541lbs for the BMW 330i.

dc_h said:
The 3 on sale today is 310 to 334 miles range. That is 75% of the range of the 330i.
Yup, I meant to write "As a matter of fact, the 310 mile-range LR only gets you half way to difference in range of the range of the 330i,"

Thanks for catching that, as it was rather critical for the point I was making. ;)[/quote]

Even though the title says price parity by 2025, they say that some vehicles are already in parity if you account of fuel and maintenance costs, but that consumers will not do that math. I agree they wouldnt do that math for a Nissan Leaf or a Chevy Bolt, because those cars does not inspire one to sit down with pencil and paper. Tesla purposely designed their vehicles to inspire people to dust off of the old Texas Instruments calculator. ...
People won't actually have to do the math because it will be by others for them, but they have to be motivated enough to search out the information and want the car bad enough to believe it what they learn.

Dead on. And one test drive in Model 3 will motivate 95% of potential customers to dust off their college TI or their smart phone calculator app and start doing the math.

We just crossed 1.000 deliveries for this month in Norway !
(125 today.. and still counting !).

As the webpage states the all-time record month in Norway was 1.500 in March 2014. Not at all impossible to reach.
Thank you for bringing this information over to us, very helpful.

Any insight as to whether there is a particular push/focus on Norway/Euro deliveries this quarter? I know they have seemed to move away from heavy focus on US/nonUS deliveries from quarter to quarter but I want to be careful of reading too much into the stats.

Tesla Model 3: interesting look at powertrain and chassis through first responders guide
screen-shot-2017-09-22-at-11-02-29-am-e1506092632494.jpg

Would be inconsequential if that were the end of it. But if this settlement puts pressure on SolarCity VIE investors to settle as well and then try to recoup the money through a suit against SolarCity it could end up distracting, costly or both. Typical example of why opaque constructs that SCTY lived (and nearly died by) carry hidden risks and costs for investors. Hopefully Tesla can shed some clarity on the issue in their next quarterly report and then it should recover ground lost over the last days but until then the drop is probably warranted.

Also a little bit too much coincidence for my taste that Tesla started dropping 3 days before this became public at a time it should have been sailing high and clear (model 3 on track, semi event coming up, early signs of S/X deliveries positive,....)

Even though the title says price parity by 2025, they say that some vehicles are already in parity if you account of fuel and maintenance costs, but that consumers will not do that math. I agree they wouldnt do that math for a Nissan Leaf or a Chevy Bolt, because those cars does not inspire one to sit down with pencil and paper. Tesla purposely designed their vehicles to inspire people to dust off of the old Texas Instruments calculator.

I still think people won't do the math. However, I do think people will pay a premium for electric drive. I've been wild-guessing that the premium is about $5000, at least in the mid-market. (Maybe higher in the S/X range; maybe lower in the sub-$25K range.) If anyone has any better *psychological* ideas regarding how high the premium is, I'd be interested to hear.

No one needs a $1000 iphone when there are hundreds of brands that sell for under $500, yet they justify it because of the appeal of the brand.

Reactions: 22522
Would be inconsequential if that were the end of it. But if this settlement puts pressure on SolarCity VIE investors to settle as well and then try to recoup the money through a suit against SolarCity it could end up distracting, costly or both.

No, it doesn't work that way. If I'm not mistaken, technically the VIEs were the ones being sued over getting too much money from the government, but *SolarCity* is making the settlement out of its *own* cash, and getting an agreement that the VIEs will not be further bothered by the government over this. This means SolarCity is covering all of it, and the other VIE investors get what they expected to get. All cleared out, all done.

This particular program was a cash payment not a tax deduction so there isn't any arguing over refiling old tax returns.

Typical example of why opaque constructs that SCTY lived (and nearly died by) carry hidden risks and costs for investors.
Not going to argue with that. This one's been in the 10-Qs for years though. It's good to have it resolved.

Off Topic:

Somewhere it says he schedules his days in 5 minute chunks?

I had received similar suggestion from another entrepreneur/advisor as well. She had said 15 min though. I don't even use a calendar....

if this significantly breaks $355... run.

Thank you for making me laugh. It feels great on a Friday afternoon going into a busy weekend.

Last edited:
One of the first Model 3 owners (father of a Tesla employee) has received his vehicle and is answering some questions on another Tesla forum. Being unsure of the protocol here, I won't link it directly, but here's the reddit post with images and links within.

In short, he seems very satisfied and confirmed that the car unlocks upon approach with the phone in your pocket and said he's had no issues. He was also very impressed with the handling.

A few of his responses:

Emotional reactions
Like a dream that you don't want to wake up from!

How it felt when you first got in and drove off?
same as above

How does the steering and handling feel?
It sits lower to the ground than any over car that I have owned. It really hugs the road handles perfectly

How about the sound system
Still trying to figure it out but it sure sounds sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.