Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the new Roadster, but it won't be that important to the company. Say they sell 5000 per year at 250k USD, that's 1.25 billion USD. That's not a huge revenue for a company that will be at maybe 100 billion valuation.

But it does bode well for future higher end Tesla vehicles!

You forget this is money they get now, 50-250k a car ppl reserve. This is very important, and make a whole world of difference.

And it looks like they are not the only one. A post from A reddit user below. Although you don't have prove its hard to believe that with this spec's most of the professional truck companies won't be attracted. Lets look at the competition like Daimer: 220 Miles Range ? Thats less than half of that what Tesla did revealed.

_ohm_my 15 Punkte vor 3 Stunden

At the event tonight, I talked to 2 people that have put in $100 million orders for Semis. Tesla could be racking in some serious cash now.

The Semi and the Roadster will bring solid cash in the operation. Capital will help to overcome production delays and bottlenecks.

Thats was a well timed Event!
As near as I can tell, the only confirmed order is the Meijer one, and that is for FOUR trucks. I'm sure there are others, but I would expect them to also be small, placeholder bets more for PR than business. The bottom line is that there were not enough specs released to justify an actual purchase. A percentage projected cost savings based on 33% cheaper than current market price electricity along with a variety of other unknown assumptions is not likely to generate significant reservation volume in a bean counter's business like freight.

You forget this is money they get now, 50-250k a car ppl reserve. This is very important, and make a whole world of difference.
Tesla doesn't need the money right now. Maybe they'll need it sometime next year, but hopefully not. The income from the Model 3 should be able to sustain the continued growth within a few months. Of course, getting money now means less money borrowed, and interest income rather than interest expense, but with the current cheap money, it doesn't matter that much.

Reactions: neroden
Quote from TMC Semi ~ “With four independent motors, the truck can go 0-60 mph in 5 seconds. At a 5 percent grade, the truck can hit 65 mph, compared to 45 mph for a standard truck.”

First, ICE cars will appreciate platooning with Tesla Semi’s as they (ICE) are phased out of the auto industry, and off our roads. Initial meaning that ICE cars will try following Tesla Semi to take advantage of convoy. Once these trucks really fill the open road, no more slowing way down due to ICE truck snails pace. The Grape Vine in California will become a breeze!

Once again, if the Semi windshield can withstand a nuclear attack ~ North Korea will be ordering a ton of these:)

Now, this Semi opens up a whole new meaning for Blitzkrieg on the battle field. If a tank with a Tesla windshield can withstand a nuc attack, or better yet a heat round, then Tanks could finally see what is in front of them. The slope of the windshield would deflect tank killing rounds. The enemy would be required to develop “snot rounds” that would stick/adhere on impact:) Okay, with this technology Tesla has opened the door to a whole new battlefield, redefining Star Wars like war toys. If Tesla can come up with a battlefield mobile SuperCharger, they would revolutionize warfare. No matinsnce, that alone would be an astronomical $$$ savings. Driverless, another mega savings. No joystick drivers either? Another astronomical $$$. If the pentagon did not pick up the phone last night, then the next lost war is on them.

Quote from TMC Semi ~ “

Once again, if the Semi windshield can withstand a nuclear attack ~ North Korea will be ordering a ton of these:)

Now, this Semi opens up a whole new meaning for Blitzkrieg on the battle field. If a tank with a Tesla windshield can withstand a nuc attack, or better yet a heat round, then Tanks could finally see what is in front of them. The slope of the windshield would deflect tank killing rounds. The enemy would be required to develop “snot rounds” that would stick/adhere on impact:) Okay, with this technology Tesla has opened the door to a whole new battlefield, redefining Star Wars like war toys. If Tesla can come up with a battlefield mobile SuperCharger, they would revolutionize warfare. No matinsnce, that alone would be an astronomical $$$ savings. Driverless, another mega savings. No joystick drivers either? Another astronomical $$$. If the pentagon did not pick up the phone last night, then the next lost war is on them.
Totally not important, but the whole nuclear attack thing just seems silly. Last I checked, the temperatures encountered in a nuclear detonation are high enough to vaporize glass. Cheyenne Mountain, with thousands of feet of solid granite can't withstand a modern high yield nuclear device, but somehow Tesla has magic glass that can? Come on now.

Reactions: neroden
Now that millions of mass market Model 3 are plying our roads on sunshine, 100 GFs are in full swing and global warming is a distant memory, it is time to move on to Master plan 3. 1% is not the focus anymore. Let's focus on the 0.001%.

That's all great. ;) Let's have a SP pop tomorrow and we will all be happy :)

"Off the hook demand for Powerwall" in May 2015 -> no record in quarterly reports to date.
Solar roof showcased and sold out last year -> Still in pilot phase. Only 2 installs for insiders.
"Lots of reservations" means what? -> 20? 25? 50?

Too bad trucks are bought for business. Unlike private car buyers, these people work with numbers, Let's hope Jerry Brown steps in with some block buster subsidy program for a California company.
Smackdown

• Funny
Reactions: GoTslaGo and EinSV
The only remaining viable argument for shorts is that Tesla won't be able to execute. But even those who believe that must have a sickening realization this morning. The level of excitement generated by the unveil guarantees to buy Tesla more time, if needed, to get it right. Both directly through an avalanche of new deposits, and indirectly through the creation of incandescent excitement. This is how the world moves forward. A visionary person or company persuades others to believe that something much better is possible. If enough believe with enough passion, then provided only that the vision is compatible with the laws of physics and economics, it will eventually become real. Because excitement drives investment, and extends patience. There will be some shorts in the next few days who start wondering whether they really want to continue to fight a future that humankind both needs and desires.

Totally not important, but the whole nuclear attack thing just seems silly. Last I checked, the temperatures encountered in a nuclear detonation are high enough to vaporize glass. Cheyenne Mountain, with thousands of feet of solid granite can't withstand a modern high yield nuclear device, but somehow Tesla has magic glass that can? Come on now.

It's called humor... Try it some time. The punch line was the money back guarantee if your truck has was broken by a nuclear blast.

It's called humor... Try it some time. The punch line was the money back guarantee if your truck has was broken by a nuclear blast.
I'll be the first to admit I don't get Elon speak much of the time. I can't tell when he's saying something just for effect or being serious. I guess I haven't spent enough time on the Left Coast.

'Tesla even more ambitious than expected with truck plans, says Morgan Stanley. Morgan Stanley analyst Ravi Shanker said Tesla "unveiled the future of trucking" with its Class 8 semi truck, which he contends appears to best current diesel truck performance in "almost every measurable way." While what he heard was very impressive, questions remain about battery size, launch partners and third-party logistics services, said Shanker, who adds that "its now time to deliver." The firm has an Equal Weight rating and $379 price target on Tesla shares.'

The takeaway from is that this promises to save costs on these expensive truck windshields.

But, having said that, no worry, should you indeed not survive the nuclear attack behind that windshield, you WILL get your money back. Promise !

Edit : Oops, overlooked Reciprocity's post.

Status
Not open for further replies.