Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Analyst being interviewed knows the score. Woman interviewing him just mimes typical WS analysts who can't or won't take a deeper dive. Which of course they could catch up on in a few days reading on TMC (ignoring troll postings). If I'd been in his shoes, I'd have been sorely tempted to replied with a question. Asking how hard is it to understand that cash expenditures are highest when you are building out the production line(s) for an all new vehicle? Even if it turned out the M3 production ramp up is delayed 6 more months, Tesla has the option to conserve cash on hand by taking a break from going all out on all the next products. That's not going to happen while Musk is leading the company. Especially since more working capital can be raised, if needed, to bridge some months until major M3 revenue comes in. The other annoying, zero fact based misconception by the host, is imagining there is any question about whether Tesla can produce M3 in the planned volume, rather than how soon they will do so. When listening to the lazy analysts, you wonder how anyone believes they are doing their jobs when they pay no attention to history of what the company has done over the past 5 + years.

I don’t think that’s exactly true, at least if I’m understanding you correctly. I’m assuming you’re talking about the fact that electric semi’s won’t be paying gas tax?

That is certainly something that will need to be addressed, eventually... However, I don’t think it is that large of a financial burden even if electric semi’s pay their fair share if you look at the numbers.

Based on some napkin math, federal diesel excise tax is $0.24 a gallon. State diesel tax ranges from $0.08 to $0.50 gallon. With the average being about $0.26 per gallon of diesel. Semi’s get roughly 6 miles per gallon, so $0.50 gallon / 6 Miles per gallon = $0.0834 per mile that diesel trucks pay via diesel excise tax to cover road maintenance.

You add that to the Tesla Semi’s operating cost per mile of $1.26 per mile and you get $1.34 per mile which is still a lot better than industry cost of $1.51 per mile.

Now that doesn’t include all the economical efficiencies of platooning. Add in platooning AND electric semi’s paying their fair share in road taxes and you still could potentially beat rail.
The gas & diesel tax doesn't come anywhere close to covering road costs -- it's under 25% of the costs last I checked. On top of that, trucks do nearly all the road damage (the fourth power of axle load rule) but cars pay a large portion of the fuel costs. Diesel truckers already have a large government thumb on the scale benefiting them versus rail.

This country subsidizes roads and not rail, for some reason. :shrug: Bias, I guess.

Some countries actually treat their rail networks like the road networks and subsidize both to similar levels. Here in the US, we subsidize inefficiency, for whatever reason.

Last edited:
I think you have a false equivalency here @neroden. The tandem driver market and the sleeper cab market clearly do overlap, but they are not synonymous. One purpose of a sleeper cab of course is it enables the other driver to sleep while the truck is still moving.

It's other purpose, and what occupies the big hunk of the market is single driver / single truck. On long hauls, when it's break and / or sleep time, the truck can pull off at rest stop / truck stop, crawl in back, and sleep / watch TV (or so I hear), etc.. Carry your motel room with you wherever you go.

I'm thinking that if they're going to be serious about distance hauling, then there's going to be a sleeper cab variant.
OK, fair point. Perhaps there will be a one-driver sleeper cab variant. On the other hand, perhaps Tesla will provide their own motels at the Megachargers?

Not if they didn't care how long the pack lasted, or if they used higher C rate cells.

That is a good point. My understanding of the reason the Model S can't be a track car is that it runs into cooling limits. If they didn't care about trashing the battery, they could run it past normal engineering limits for the prototype. Still, people were pretty sure the Roadster looked like it had a double stack of batteries.

In the USA.
Most European countries have some kind of pay per use highway fee.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that in Europe (at least in my country) trains are (very heavily) subsidized.

Europe's an interesting case. In some countries (not all!), the expressways are mostly tolled, which evens the scale a lot. (Though there are still a lot of free highways in Europe.)

But cost is not the reason rail is underused for freight in Europe. (And it is badly underused compared to, say, Russia.) Rather, it's some specific-to-Europe stupidities.

One reason it's underused is that the suitable distances for freight rail are usually international in Europe, unlike Russia, China, India, or the US. Freight rail really isn't a short-haul solution, it's a long-haul high-capacity solution. And there are major, stupid barriers to running freight trains betwen countries in Europe, which I will not go into because they are off-topic. One example is incompatible signalling systems, which they've been working to standardize for over a decade now with very slow progress.

Another reason is that most of Europe still uses a grossly obsolete coupling method for trains ("buffer and chain") which the rest of the world stopped using 100 years ago, and which massively reduces efficiency. Attempts to replace this with normal knuckle-type couplers have gone very slowly, showing a bad case of the "path dependence" problem where once a technology gets into use people keep using it even though it sucks. (Other examples include Microsoft Windows, and arguably gasoline engines.)

Last edited:
[
I think one case where sleeper cab is less necessary is when EAP+convoy driving is permitted, then put 2 drivers in 2 trucks, one truck leads, its driver drives, the other truck follows autonomously, and its driver sleeps/relaxes. Every 8-10 hours or so, stop to charge the trucks, and swap places. So instead of 2 person driving 1 truck 24 hours a day, they can drive 2 trucks 24 hours a day.
They can drive 3 trucks 24 hours a day.

That is a good point. My understanding of the reason the Model S can't be a track car is that it runs into cooling limits. If they didn't care about trashing the battery, they could run it past normal engineering limits for the prototype. Still, people were pretty sure the Roadster looked like it had a double stack of batteries.
Because it was mentioned, by the driver, that they can do those acceleration runs all night long, this gives me hope that it will be suitable for track duty.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Lessmog
Has anyone done the math on how many Powerpacks would be required for each Megacharger station?

By my simplistic reckoning, the semi has approximately a 1MWh pack, so 5 Powerpacks would be needed for each full charge per truck visit when there is no solar.

Reactions: neroden
Has anyone done the math on how many Powerpacks would be required for each Megacharger station?

By my simplistic reckoning, the semi has approximately a 1MWh pack, so 5 Powerpacks would be needed for each full charge per truck visit when there is no solar.

They wouldnt be off the grid, powerpacks just help get the peak charge rate and solar would just be there to supplement charging the powerpacks back up from the grid and then feed into the grid after.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and DragonWatch
Europe's an interesting case. In some countries (not all!), the expressways are mostly tolled, which evens the scale a lot. (Though there are still a lot of free highways in Europe.)

But cost is not the reason rail is underused for freight in Europe. (And it is badly underused compared to, say, Russia.) Rather, it's some specific-to-Europe stupidities.

One reason it's underused is that the suitable distances for freight rail are usually international in Europe, unlike Russia, China, India, or the US. Freight rail really isn't a short-haul solution, it's a long-haul high-capacity solution. And there are major, stupid barriers to running freight trains betwen countries in Europe, which I will not go into because they are off-topic. One example is incompatible signalling systems, which they've been working to standardize for over a decade now with very slow progress.

Another reason is that most of Europe still uses a grossly obsolete coupling method for trains ("buffer and chain") which the rest of the world stopped using 100 years ago, and which massively reduces efficiency. Attempts to replace this with normal knuckle-type couplers have gone very slowly, showing a bad case of the "path dependence" problem where once a technology gets into use people keep using it even though it sucks. (Other examples include Microsoft Windows, and arguably gasoline engines.)

Europe als has a fairly dense waterway infrastructure (I don’t know if that’s a thing in the USA). It is currently heavily promoted in order to get heavy traffic off the road to improve the congestion on our roads. AFAIK it is mainly used for transport of bulk goods, but now also for container transport. Apparently it’s cheaper (including the the transfer from and to a container truck) than truck transport even for short distances (like 50 km).

Reactions: neroden

This is why there has to be solar to get to seven cents.

Musk can't be serious about highway megacharger stations in the next five years. He's talking about customer sites. A Walmart distribution hub buys solar, powerpack and Tesla Semi and can charge at seven cents. All contained within Walmart. As the truck batteries age they can be used for stationary storage in the system. This can be an all DC system for efficiency.

Massive public Semi EV charging will probably need to be done at existing truck stops. That won't happen until the regional demand for EV semis is filled. Hopefully this is done with a common standard shared with all EV semis.

Still, people were pretty sure the Roadster looked like it had a double stack of batteries.

Seems as if that would give an elevated seating position. Did it, and is that what made people think it had a double stack? Even with a double stack that still probably wouldn't get to 200kWh yet since only 80 currently fits in the Model 3 wheelbase, though they could have had extra in the trunk and frunk area I suppose.

This is why there has to be solar to get to seven cents.

Musk can't be serious about highway megacharger stations in the next five years. He's talking about customer sites. A Walmart distribution hub buys solar, powerpack and Tesla Semi and can charge at seven cents. All contained within Walmart. As the truck batteries age they can be used for stationary storage in the system. This can be an all DC system for efficiency.

Massive public Semi EV charging will probably need to be done at existing truck stops. That won't happen until the regional demand for EV semis is filled. Hopefully this is done with a common standard shared with all EV semis.

Of course megachargers with solar-power can be done within 5 years.. Just put them a bit remote with cheap land for some solar farms.

Reactions: DragonWatch
To be absolutely clear about this, the electric bus companies did pick up the baton, which is why I think Tesla is not even trying to make a bus. They're only going to go into the markets nobody else is going into.

Musk originally planned to not invest in electric cars at all -- he saw the EV-1 and first generation RAV4-EV and figured GM and Toyota would do it! It's only *after* they "killed the electric car" that he invested. He's *only* going to invest in sectors where he has *evidence* that the other guys *aren't* going to invest seriously. Incredibly smart, actually.

Old news. He’s changed his mind. He’s going to do whatever can be done *better* and *faster*. Just watch.

Reactions: Intl Professor
Of course megachargers with solar-power can be done within 5 years.. Just put them a bit remote with cheap land for some solar farms.

Except for that little issue of cash flow and ROI.

Do you have a truck building forecast for Tesla? How many trucks will they build in 2020? Walmart has 6000 regional trucks that don't need public charging. A big truck factory builds 200 a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.