Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Benzinga article said:
Chowdhry highlighted the agreement called for 22 PowerPacks and Tesla booked around $1 million in revenue. A larger Tesla PowerPack 2.0 system was also deployed at the Southern California Edison and revenue from this system is around $3.5 million.

There's no way that Tesla sold a 22x PowerPack2.0 system for ~$1M in revenue, and sold SCE's Mira Loma 400x PowerPack setup for $3.5M. Impossible.

Reactions: techmaven
Hopefully he'll do his research. There are real contributions he could make to construction, and it really is an industry with huge amounts of waste in it, but he's currently looking in the wrong places. Visiting an actual tunnel boring site was a good start on doing his research. Apparently it was news to Musk that muck removal was the limiting factor on tunneling speed most of the time, and news to Musk that running into the unexpected was the other limiting factor on tunneling speed, as Flyvbjerg pointed out. If he spends some time actually doing his research, hopefully he'll start figuring out what the real problems are.

I don't understand the criticism. (Well, yeah. Actually I do but that's a different forum.) He IS doing his research. He's just not doing it the way *you* would choose to do it.

It matters not that he didn't know muck removal was the limiting factor. He knows it now and he only had to dig a few feet to find out. When he resolves the muck removal limiting factor, be sure to be equally as critical of all the expert tunnel diggers past and present who were never able to figure it out.

Physicist syndrome; xkcd has made fun of it. Thinking that you're an expert on things without actually bothering to do the research. It's unfortunate; he doesn't usually succumb to it.

I've actually thought the same of you from time to time. Just sayin...

But no, he doesn't think he's an expert on things. He thinks he can solve whatever problem faces him. That's very different.

You've got a decimal misplaced on the amount of revenue on the Mira Loma project. At least.
I agree. I'm just quoting what the Benzinga article suggested Trip Chowdry had to say. There is no way a system 20x larger gets sold for 3.5x the price. It just didn't happen. Maybe 15x or something, cause y'know, buying in bulk generally gets you a discount, but the number Trip is suggesting is way off.

Reactions: neroden
There's no way that Tesla sold a 22x PowerPack2.0 system for ~$1M in revenue, and sold SCE's Mira Loma 400x PowerPack setup for $3.5M. Impossible.

This could be incorrect information. On the other hand, the arrangements for some of these are presumably PPAs v. cash sales so under GAAP they may only be able to recognize a small fraction of the revenue each quarter. Presumably they can accelerate revenue recognition by selling off the PPA income stream as they have started doing with some of the legacy SCTY PPAs but I have not looked into that so perhaps someone else can weigh in.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden

Systems include a variety of labor and inverters. Tesla may only be booking revenues for the powerpacks themselves, which are now 200kWh each, versus the prior 100kWh. In these cases those numbers are small if they are that number of units. But are you referring to 22000 kWh? That could be held in
But isn't that exactly what a system integrator is : combining expertise and goods from different suppliers to bring them together into one solution that the customer can buy? Offering a simplicity in acquiring both the product, the support and the maintenance? I fail to see how Tesla is really different. They source their cells from Panasonic at cost plus Panasonic margin, package them up, bundle it with all the tech needed and essentially transform a product into a solution for a customer? That is what Tesla is moving towards with PP2.0 and it is what a system integrator always brought to the table.

Sure, there are pieces in the supply chain where Tesla is ahead of the competition. Notably it will source its storage cells at roughly 30% lower price than competition and it can avoid having to pay out margins to some suppliers in high voltage technology. But there are some areas also where it is behind the competition. For example, Tesla has no software nor application engineering platform for utilities and neither has Tesla a utility grade maintenance infrastructure. The company relies on, for example, AMS to provide those. Other competitors like AES, GE and ABB are ahead here (the latter two also being better in the de-risking advantage you cite as important and at least equally well versed in high voltage electronics through in house experience)

SolarCity is all about bringing TE products to the customer, but it's really retail only, not utility grade. And retail is exactly the place were independent contractors are able to compete due to the small scale. Private companies with a few dozen, maybe a few hunderd employees working on low margins without carrying the overhead of being a centralized public company. That can communicate in a way that resonates with the locals instead of harassing them when they are shopping for a screwdriver in home depot. We see this in the solar panel industry very clearly. And nevermind that SCTY really only covers a part of the US. Everywhere else (China, Germany and Australia to name a few), its purchase did not bring anything for Tesla.

Honestly, I think buying AMS had been the much smarter business move for Tesla were it not for the simple fact that the brand is so reliant on the image of its CEO that it couldn't permit itself to let a SCTY chapter 11 or whatever tarnish his image. I've been negative about SCTY right from when it became relevant, and while I do think TE is a sensible line of business I remain skeptical that the ludicrous gross margins that you project will materialize that easily. I've been told repeatedly that next quarter will show me wrong. So far, I am still waiting.

ABB is in a unique position in the energy storage business. They design and install large data centers and provide the power management requirements for them. They will be growing their storage business in this area and could scale to utility based storage due to their large-scale utility integration services. ABB bought renewables inverter supplier PowerOne a couple years ago but they are also well ahead in many areas of power. Big companies like ABB and GE will be big players in this very wide market.

SpaceX launch tomorrow -
background: First Pad39A launch since shuttle - SpaceX refurbishing Pad39A for it's future Falcon Heavy launch from this Pad (previously used for Saturn5 moon launch). The Falcon Heavy first launch targeted for Q2 this year- will be the largest rocket in existence today (by double)- govt or private, the largest ever by anyone (except Saturn5). The Pad39A Falcon Heavy launch (target capabilities for SpaceX Mars-Train program) will also set history with 3 CONCURRENT 1st booster returns (they are scheduled to get permit for the new 3 pad receiving facility any time now).
Anyway- the launch tomorrow may begin peripheral discussion of all this happening 2017 and relate back to Musk- Tesla etc. -

Wait for it...

So @drinkerofkoolaid I'm confused by your disagree. Does it mean you don't believe what you posted about the relative number of people on this forum who have remained consistently optimistic about Tesla's trajectory. Or is it that you disagree I pointed out you were wrong in your assessment of the number of people here who have remained consistently optimistic about Tesla's trajectory?

You believe that? Really?

100%. I didn't say I've been the only person (in the world) who has been consistently optimistic. I also didn't say I've been the only person on TMC who has been consistently optimistic.

I know there are many people on TMC who have consistently believed in Tesla. However, many people on TMC, even those who have been consistently optimistic about Tesla's trajectory have questioned Tesla's trajectory for one or more reasons over the past 4-5 years. There have been many events and non-events that created a lot of noise.

I won't say more about this. I only mentioned that because I have regularly been criticized by specific people for allegedly being too optimistic or for challenging the conventional wisdom of the moment. :rolleyes:

Thank you and others so much for the factual responses to the periodic always-so-negatively-skewed "@m..."s posts. I don't have the inclination to source the obvious rebuttals and do all the work to post for everyone's benefit (thank you again).

I have no problem with examining Tesla's warts etc. However when there's an obvious spin (either way!) to some fact or story, it does get a bit tiresome. To restate the over-used CIA-inspired phrase, I'd listen to the "@m..."s, but then I'd have to kill myself.

Reactions: Krugerrand
None of this really matters with only 5 days before ER.

As an aside, "fake news" is in. I'm wondering if organizations are going to need to readjust their reporting intervals to combat the opinion wars going on right now.

Congestion is not because of too much cars, it is because of too much STANDING cars, standing at traffic lights, standing at zebra-crossings and similar braind-dead traffic "solutions".
A city without such brain-dead solutions has no congestion problems.
I agree. It's very well spelled out by this particular video:
If the tunnels are limited to autonomous EVs.. then everybody can travel at 80mph with no congestion.

The 80MWh project alone with SCE should have been double that revenue?!
Correct.

I think there is a lot of surprise factors lining up for this ER.

SCTY is a giant question mark. We know about the 265M they sold. They could have sold more. Hard to know how much ordinary cashflow from the residuals there is.

ZEVs are a medium sized question mark - we know that they're worth ~$10k / car sold in a ZEV state (4 credits at $2500 market value). My estimation is that about half of sales are to USA, and about half of that to ZEV states. So 1/4 of vehicle sales, or something of the order of 6k cars in 4Q. We know that Tesla sold off basically every ZEV credit it had in 3Q. 6000 cars * $10000 per car is around $60M in possible ZEV sales.

TE is a decent size question mark - we know about Mira Loma and Ta'u, and a few others that were in 4Q, and there's probably a bunch more we don't know about. Most of the ones we know about we only know because the customer said something publically. Tesla has been deliberately quiet, I think. I expect about $50M (MiraLoma being about $30M of it), maybe as much as $100M revenue from TE.

TM margins are also a pretty decent size question mark.

In 3Q16, we sold 25,180 vehicles and recognized $2.3B of revenue doing so. That represents an ASP of $91,342.
In 4Q16, we sold 22,200 vehicles - a difference of 2,980 vehicles.
2,980 cars * $91,342 ASP * 27.7% Automotive GM in 3Q16 = about $75.4M lower profits than 3Q to make up for.

3Q16: 25,180 vehicles * $91,342 ASP * 27.7% GM = $637.1M Profit.

If you hold ASP the same, and increase GM, to achieve the same profit from 4Q16's 22,200 vehicles, you'd need 31.4% GM.
If you hold GM the same, and increase ASP, to achieve the same profit from 4Q16's 22,200 vehicles, you'd need $103,603 ASP.

I suspect reality is somewhere in the middle.

We know that we discontinued X60D - should have a positive impact on ASP, as it was the cheapest MX. 60->75 is a $6,500 upgrade. If the lowest trim represents about 30% of the build mix, that should increase MX ASP by about $2k. MX is about half of the overall build mix, so I would expect this effect to increase overall automotive ASP by $1k.

We know that we increased base price of S60 by $2k - positive to ASP by only about $250. 30% of mix, S is 50% overall.

A higher mix of P100D should also contribute positively to ASP. This one is tough to quantify. Maybe $500-1000?

AP1's pricetag went up by $500 before AP2 introduction. AP has a nearly 100% take rate. I estimate about 25% of the 4Q vehicles were AP1, so that should add $125 to ASP.

AP2's pricetag went up by $2500 relative to the pre-increased AP1 price. Lets assume a 90% take rate. 75% of 4Q vehicles being AP2, so that should add $2500 * 90% * 75% = ~$1675 to ASP.

Can't realize FSD revenue yet, so we'll ignore it.

Altogether, those factors should be additive to ASP in the amount of something like $3500. Additionally, they're additive to GM, on top of savings from improving supplier deals and so on. GM increase of 1.5%

My prediction then, is that:

4Q16: 22,200 vehicles * $95,000 ASP * 29.2% GM = $615.8M

Thus, I believe TE's non-zero contribution is larger than the shortfall in TM's reduced vehicle count. ZEVs are about half of what they were in 3Q, but TE's non-zero contribution eats about half of the difference, leaving about $30M for SCTY to cover. If SCTY makes $30M, then the quarter should be overall profitable.

Additionally RVG vehicles sold in 3Q13 had their RVG's expire in 4Q16, and so the revenue from those that was backed out of GAAP then will show up in 4Q16's GAAP numbers. 3Q13's report says there was $160M in deferred revenues due to the RVG program.

Last edited:
Visiting an actual tunnel boring site was a good start on doing his research. Apparently it was news to Musk that muck removal was the limiting factor on tunneling speed most of the time, and news to Musk that running into the unexpected was the other limiting factor on tunneling speed, as Flyvbjerg pointed out. If he spends some time actually doing his research, hopefully he'll start figuring out what the real problems are.

Musk did hint that he would attack the problem at a different scale. This opens up new possibilities. Suppose you bore a narrow pilot tunnel and spiral around this to survey the extent of the final tunnel. This discovers large objects in the way. Then bore this wide enough to set up tunneling infrastructure. So you're prepared for all the muck. Finally bore out to full width of desired tunnel and wall off the sides. So robotics allow for small scale piloting and infrastructure setup under unsafe conditions. These pilots need to go about 4 miles per week or faster to allow discovery time leeway. The infrastructure tunneler needs to go about 2 miles per week, while the finishing tunneler goes 1 mile per week.

Whether all this solves transportation scaling problems on earth, I'm unsure. But on Mars, Musk needs a whole fleet of robotic tunnelers that can create habitable spaces for humans and robotic miners to secure needed mineral. Musk is always going to be interested in any technology needed for colonizing Mars and find ways to monetize it here on Earth.

This could be incorrect information. On the other hand, the arrangements for some of these are presumably PPAs v. cash sales so under GAAP they may only be able to recognize a small fraction of the revenue each quarter. Presumably they can accelerate revenue recognition by selling off the PPA income stream as they have started doing with some of the legacy SCTY PPAs but I have not looked into that so perhaps someone else can weigh in.

A PPA would be used for repeating power usage, such as required daily charge/dump. However, aren't they using the system for frequency response and may not cycle it daily? It would be interesting to see the contracts behind an intermittent-use vehicle such as
I agree. It's very well spelled out by this particular video:
If the tunnels are limited to autonomous EVs.. then everybody can travel at 80mph with no congestion.

Traffic snake are not the norm in traffic. They occur in most-heavy rush-hour time frames or rubber-necking circumstances. How does autonomous allow for proper rubbernecking gawking scenarios?

Status
Not open for further replies.