TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by AudubonB, Dec 30, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmd

mmd Active Member

Here is an alternate explanation. Please tell me, if this is plausible or not.

1. Tencent bought a lot of shares back in Dec-Feb when SP was low.
    2. Tesla/MS/GS approached them when the $350M secondary offering didn't have enough takers. Tencent says "OK, we'll buy some more. But you have to make us an "adviser". '. Tesla agrees, so they buy some more in the secondary offering to reach 5%.

BTW, what exactly is this advisory role? It's sure not a seat in the board, is it?

• Disagree x 3
  2. kenliles

kenliles Active Member

EM tweet for those current owners in the crowd

If you just downloaded V8.1, tap the the T on center screen three times
    Elon Musk on Twitter

• Like x 1
  3. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

The
    Yeah. What's the Easter Egg this time? I don't have 8.1 yet...

4. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Grouchy

Firmware 8.1

5. Intl Professor

Intl Professor Active Member

#9825 Intl Professor, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Anything I know about AI comes from this thread and popular access to NVDIA technology, so I cannot match your level of expertise. As an amateur I think the difference in Elon's timetable and yours is like the difference between what Mobileye was doing (tagging) versus the machine learning approach of Tesla and NVDIA. As you know better than I Tesla's edge is taking advantage of recent breakthroughs in face recognition and language learning using graphics technology plus billions of miles (potentially) of real world data supplied by Tesla drivers. Earlier experience with AI exuberance may not apply in the instant case. Conceptually level five may be achieved in practice within two years but legal compliance will be another two years afterward. And, of course, until then it would be wise only to claim level 4.

Of course I could be way off base, demonstrating my amateur standing once again.

Elon's earlier expectation was somewhat hasty. Perhaps the dustup with Mobileye is to be blamed.

6. AcesDealt

AcesDealt Member

If Elon thinks level 4 is coming this year, he is wrong. Since I think he's smart, I don't think he believes that. However, I'm sure he's happy if people want to advocate that possibility so long as he himself is not caught being incorrect. For instance, he's saying that you don't need a speedometer in front of the driver if you are in a Taxi. That's true. Plenty of people want to take this and run off and ponder whether the m3 is thus near being a taxi. He never said that. He's happy if you want to think that. He's happy if you want to associate Tesla with that future. This is all riding a wave in front of the transition to these technologies where Tesla situates itself as a brand. Becoming a brand requires differentiating yourself in such a way as that people can fight with each other over the people that get it, and the people that don't. If you make obvious design choices you are probably behind.

Now of course this can go too far. They still need the front windshield to be transparent for instance. Not doing that because it's gonna drive itself eventually might backfire.

• Love x 1
  7. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Active Member

8. Intl Professor

Intl Professor Active Member

Today I came across another interesting essay on inequality in our country. Piketty, the lead author, is a most distinguished student of the issue. This is much easier than reading his book and provides more fuel to the argument, especially striking is Figure 2. For conservatives, it also disses some attempts to ameliorate the problem.

Economic growth in the US: A tale of two countries | VOX, CEPR’s Policy Portal

• Love x 1
  9. TrendTrader007

TrendTrader007 Active Member

10. Yuri_G

Yuri_G Member

Looks like Autopilot 2.0 is very close to parity with 1.0 in the new update. Now the exciting progress can happen!

• Informative x 6
    • Like x 6
  11. DragonWatch

DragonWatch Small FootPrint

From riding hoods parents place we complete all paperwork ~ Tesla delivery team loads MX on truck 31Mar17 ~ truck departs Tesla property enroute to us (home location) sits over weekend and on Monday car and rep arrive to ensure I am (we) a happy camper.
    A lot of time has passed since the call this am, I am kind of thinking that the trail is getting cold ~ but not without hope.
    While it might be super nice to win a wood coin from 1Q17, it might be just as nice as the beginning of 2Q17.

12. SPadival

SPadival Member

13. erthquake

erthquake Active Member

I don't understand why some many people get the 2018 production wrong. Too many keep saying Tesla aims to produce 500k cars in 2018, when Tesla has said they hope to achieve and annual production rate of 500k sometime in 2018. Not that the correct goal is something to sneeze at, but the author bases his valuation partly on 500k Teslas sold in 2018. An there's no mention of Tesla Energy at all. Even when Seeking Alpha tries to be bullish, they still can't get it right.

• Like x 1
  14. RobStark

RobStark Well-Known Member

Tesla hopes to get to a production RATE of 500k/year or 10k/week Tesla MODEL 3 in 2018.

But have TOTAL PRODUCTION of MODEL S 3 X of 500k units in 2018.

~350k Model 3 plus ~150k Gen II vehicles in 2018.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  15. erthquake

erthquake Active Member

Thanks for setting me straight. It's right there on page 36 of the annual report, and I missed it. Excuse me while I promptly remove egg from my face. :oops:

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  16. TMSE

TMSE Member

A great narrative on a recent factory tour.

• Informative x 23
    • Like x 6
  17. T3slaTulips

T3slaTulips Member

• Like x 4
  18. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

AP 1.0 has a single camera system. Not sure where the '4 camera AP' came from.

19. Crowded Mind

Crowded Mind Member

EAP will use 4 cameras. He/she is saying 2 is closer to full usage of the 4 than AP2 was previously when it was using just 1 camera.

20. T3slaTulips

T3slaTulips Member

Exactly. The Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) feature description specifies that it will use 4 cameras. That's why I think that for 100% of EAP revenue recognition they'll probably need to have 4 cameras utilized in the process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.